Renault get serious about electric car pricing
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault get serious about electric car pricing

They are offering the ZoŽ to private buyers at 169 euros/ month rental for the car and battery with a free charging station installed at your home. It is a 36 month contract.

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    They are offering the ZoŽ to private buyers at 169 euros/ month rental for the car and battery with a free charging station installed at your home. It is a 36 month contract.
    Wow. About Euro 5.5 per day, or maybe A$10 per day, which is 1-1.5 Guinness pints a day plus electricity. I want one.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

That's only an outlay of 6084 Euros, Gerry! What happens after three years?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Here is the promotion, work it out for yourself
    Renault - Zoe

Part of the economics comes from a manipulation of the government bonus which leaves you with a 3,196 euro up front payment. It assumes you only do 15k per annum, above that you pay a kilometrage charge. It also assumes that on return the vehicle is of resale quality, if not you pay for the degradation. see the legal small print (1) and (2).
    It is only really available in the Paris area because of the arrangements for the battery lease which should it fail will need return to a place near Paris. They do include full 24/7 roadside assist.
    Last edited by gerry freed; 20th September 2014 at 01:44 AM.

If only we didn't have a government run by the fossil fuel industry and fossil attitudes...

Oh well. In the meantime I see Nissan still have a bunch on 2012 Leaves unsold - in another couple of years they'll be down to a price I can afford
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

I rather suspect that Renaults' big bet on EV vehicles will prove to bean expensive error. If so, I hope they re-engine & continue with the Twizy. Actually I hope that they do that anyway. BMW flat twin used by licence?
    cheers! Peter

That is basically saying that if your daily commute costs are above 10$/day, you're better off with this electric car. Provided you get free parking, that is. Pretty much aimed at city dwellers who work near plentiful, free parking. This would be ideal for (big) Australian cities, but not their demographic. Should work perfectly in Europe.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Renault have done a deal recently with Bollorť which will change the game somewhat. On the rental side Renault have taken shares in the system and their capital will speed the roll out in more cities. In exchange this will give access to the charging stands for Renault car owners and renters. This effectively gives them free parking spaces but it will be limited to a modest number of hours per month.
    The Bollorť Blue car, current made in Italy will be built in the Renault Calais factory which concentrates on low volume performance vehicles and was intended to build the Alpine. They also have a deal on the Bollorť lithium metal-polymer batteries.
    The adoption issues have little if anything to do with the mechanical design of the motors or vehicles, the scene remains unchanged. A range of 160 kms appeals to users only in a certain urban environment and the costs of ownership compared with petrol based fuelled cars is a trade off of capital cost against the price of oil. The oil scene has won a reprieve because of US fracking and shale recovery and a slowing of demand growth.

Interesting comments. Recently I stood on a corner in a "small" Chinese city for nearly 15 minutes watching scooters, small motor bikes and three-wheelers going past. Almost none of them were NOT electric. There's probably half a billion people in India and China in that "certain urban environment". At the French Car Festival I Perth yesterday, in the rain, Elektra rolled in again, in regular use for several years now commuting in Perth. Elektra is a fully electric Renault 4CV built locally, and one very effective little vehicle.

I think for me the capital cost kills the notion of buying an electric, as we have lots of wheels and little or no capital invested. I guess that is head ruling heart. I'd actually like one for around town work.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I'm even happy to ignore the "greenie" arguments (transport is not the main game for greenhouse, but it is largely for urban air quality issues), or even the running costs argument.

I just love the elegance of the technology. Blowing shit up in order to make innumerable metals parts thrash about bathed in toxic dino juice seems a bit too old school to be taken seriously these days. And all that noise and vibration...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

You're going to have a hard time adapting to electric power then, Haakon.

Most of the electrics require blowing up more stuff to get the minerals. Rare earth magnets require concentrating ore with minute contents of valuable metals such as Neodymium, Samarium and so on. Pure copper conductors require energy intensive processes to refine copper and toxic chemicals to wash away impurities.

Lithium although abundant is not that easy to extract and purify, the polymers used come from the petroleum industry and so on and on. It's a complex equation and requires people with deep understanding of everything involved (read an educated electorate) and above all it requires people understanding how using fossil fuels impacts the environment and our lives (same). To get there, you need the most unlikely oxymoron of all - educated politicians. People who won't try to take the easy way out.

Meanwhile, I hear enrolments in Science degrees are falling worldwide.

Not gonna happen.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Toyota are throwing mega bucks at electric motors and controllers that don't require rare earth metals - anything to avoid relying on China!!

Lithium batteries and all the other stuff is largely recyclable - oil isn't... Not zero impact, but a hell of a lot less. Not being perfect is no reason to not move to EVs, as seems to be the argument from the anti EV brigade...

But yes, educated politicians are a rare breed - they do exist, but are certainly not in any senior positions currently.

Thread Information