fuego driveshaft nut torque
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mistareno
  • 1 Post By mistareno

Thread: fuego driveshaft nut torque

  1. #1
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,395

    Default fuego driveshaft nut torque

    Does anyone know the spec on torquing up the fuego driveshaft?

    Cant seem to find my haynes book of lies anywhere and the front left driveshaft nut does not want to stay tightened up with what torque it has been getting. (which is a hugely scientific unit of..... decent effort on a 2 foot breaker bar).

    Advertisement


    Cheers, Jo

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts Haakon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    canberra...
    Posts
    8,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    (which is a hugely scientific unit of..... decent effort on a 2 foot breaker bar).
    I usually apply a torque setting of me standing on breaker bar with the trolley handle as a 3 foot extension.

  3. #3
    COL
    COL is offline
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    4,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Does anyone know the spec on torquing up the fuego driveshaft?

    Cant seem to find my haynes book of lies anywhere and the front left driveshaft nut does not want to stay tightened up with what torque it has been getting. (which is a hugely scientific unit of..... decent effort on a 2 foot breaker bar).

    Cheers, Jo
    185 Lb ft or 250 Nm which ever you prefer.

    Is the nylon in the nut stuffed Jo? you are only suppose to use the nyloc nuts once. But having said that I have had no problems re-using them
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  4. #4
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    185 Lb ft or 250 Nm which ever you prefer.

    Is the nylon in the nut stuffed Jo? you are only suppose to use the nyloc nuts once. But having said that I have had no problems re-using them
    Check the splines for damage. If the have play, they will loosen any nut.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Check the splines for damage. If the have play, they will loosen any nut.
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

    You might be onto something there, mistareno.

    Locktight high strength and about the right amount of force is not holding the nut on.




    Jo

  6. #6
    COL
    COL is offline
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    4,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Check the splines for damage. If the have play, they will loosen any nut.
    You would be able to feel play if the spines are worn.

    Also if the spines are worn you would probably be able to push the shaft into the hub by hand, without using the shaft installation tool.
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    You would be able to feel play if the spines are worn.

    Also if the spines are worn you would probably be able to push the shaft into the hub by hand, without using the shaft installation tool.
    Wow, thats a worry..... never hear of such a tool and always pushed them in by hand.

    Jo

  8. #8
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Wow, thats a worry..... never hear of such a tool and always pushed them in by hand.

    Jo
    Me too

    Are you sure the thread isnt bottoming out before it pulls the shaft tight? They do have a pretty thick washer on them usually. Has that been replaced with a thinner one somewhere down the track?
    jo proffi likes this.

  9. #9
    COL
    COL is offline
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    4,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Wow, thats a worry..... never hear of such a tool and always pushed them in by hand.

    Jo
    Hi Jo

    Heres the said tools, the smaller one is a factory one for R12/15/16/17 drive shafts and the larger is a home made one for Fuego/R25/Laguna.

    You just screw the tool onto the end of the drive shaft through the hub and use the nut to pull the drive shaft into the hub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuego driveshaft nut torque-img_2705.jpg   fuego driveshaft nut torque-img_2706.jpg  
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Me too

    Are you sure the thread isnt bottoming out before it pulls the shaft tight? They do have a pretty thick washer on them usually. Has that been replaced with a thinner one somewhere down the track?
    No, not sure but will check it now that you mention it.

    Col, thanks for the immage.
    When/if I ever have issues pushing a shft though I'll know what tool to make up.

    Jo

  11. #11
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    ↑↑↑

    Cool. Then I can borrow it.
    Kenfuego likes this.

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    11,766

    Default

    If you have to reuse nylocs a little heat on the material will slightly melt the surface of the nylon and work just like a new one.

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts driven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Me too

    Are you sure the thread isnt bottoming out before it pulls the shaft tight? They do have a pretty thick washer on them usually. Has that been replaced with a thinner one somewhere down the track?
    The washer is actually a "High Tensile" washer

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •