Cracking looking 16TS Teardrop tailights.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 68 404

Thread: Cracking looking 16TS Teardrop tailights.

Tadpole

Default Cracking looking 16TS Teardrop tailights.

How rare are these seems a fair price to me what do others think? (CARSALES)

Advertisement

New & Used Renault 16 cars - Find Renault 16 cars for sale - carsales.com.au

How is a 1970 model the last of the 16s?

Looks nice though

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    How is a 1970 model the last of the 16s?

Looks nice though

Dave
    The ad says "last of the great Renault 16s". Maybe the owner is of the belief that once the 16 lost the teardrop taillights they were on the downhill run.

I have a '73 BMW 2002Tii that has the round taillights. Many 2002 owners will pay much more for a round taillight over the later square one, although barring a grille and couple of other things they are both essentially the same. The original is often deemed to be the best, although often the car has evolved along the way with improvements on shortcomings.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

There a pair of genuine apparently unmarked Cibies of the correct shape and size fitted where they are supposed to be. They might just be worth the asking price.......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    There a pair of genuine apparently unmarked Cibies of the correct shape and size fitted where they are supposed to be. They might just be worth the asking price.......
    The Cibies, or at least replacement parts (e.g. reflectors, glass) are still available new so it's not necessary buying a whole car.
    Cibie Airport I think they're called.

As for being one of the last R16, 1970 would be around the middle of the R16 life cycle.

Nothing like a bit of spin on a sales ad.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

When did they start assembling 16's in AUS, was it at all connected with the date when tail-lights change, or am I thinking about the change in the wheel rims, or am I just completely off track?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    When did they start assembling 16's in AUS, was it at all connected with the date when tail-lights change, or am I thinking about the change in the wheel rims, or am I just completely off track?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Or off Trak Yellow?

Dave
    addo likes this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

I quite like Trak Yellow, but the 16 I owned was white.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post

Via the aussiefrogs App

Simon or David will be able to tell us exactly however I was sure that around 69-70 was when they stopped importing them and started building them in Heidleberg and that the teardrop tail light was on the imported one's. It was always my view that the imported ones had far better rust protection than the local made ones. So the seller could be right in saying that this is the last year of the imported classic 16ts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    however I was sure that around 69-70 was when they stopped importing them and started building them in Heidleberg and that the teardrop tail light was on the imported one's. It was always my view that the imported ones had far better rust protection than the local made ones. So the seller could be right in saying that this is the last year of the imported classic 16ts.
    All teardrop taillight 16 and 16TS (and all 16s for that matter) sold through Renault Australia were Australian assembled (OK, apart from the full import evaluation 16 owned by Sarosa). Australian 16 sales commenced in 1968, with 16TS in 1969. Apart from a seeming lack of rust, the one on offer is relatively unremarkable as far as a particular variation goes. Being a second version 16TS 1970 model with round flow through vents on the dash, and Jaeger gauges and a clock on the aluminium faced dash. And I'd prefer to see the rear embellisher with Renault all across and a separate TS badge on the tailgate. From 1971, Australian content was greater with VDO instruments, Dunlop SP3 tyres on the TS, etc, before things content-wise changed again in 1975

I'd guess this car was one that had a correct Electrophoresis application, or has spent a good amount of time under cover. Though rust is mentioned on the car, its extent isn't. Also when correctly applied, the Australian made cars generally seem less rust prone than the French made cars, a fairly direct comparison being that chassis rails on 15/17 seem to rust from the inside out, whereas those on a 12 are relatively uncommon for rusting.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

gee I wish my 74 TL wasn't rusty, I have struggled to cover it up in an interim bid to re register it, worse I have had no luck getting the drivers door to shut properly, the A pillar is rusted out and the brackets are kaput, I'm learning some mig welding at the moment so maybe she can be saved, its major though the sill are bad also, pity its such a great little car to drive. Was.... The fresh air intake vent seems to have been the design downfall as the ingress of water through it has acted as a vessel in the front pedal sill to hold moisture and totally wreck it. I'm going to have another stab at it, my D is taking up all my car time at present and that is huge. I'd be curious to know where this one has come unstuck, rear wheel arches, bottom of C pillar? Torsion bar stays? ergh.

Thread Information