• 2 Post By mistareno
  • 1 Post By Redbacks
  • 2 Post By David Cavanagh
  • 1 Post By FIVEDOOR

Thread: R8 TS Talavera for Fathers Day

Icon10 R8 TS Talavera for Fathers Day

Advertisement

Eat your hearts out fellow Froggers.

Fathers day will always be remembered in our family as a competitive day, especially when the Son has a dozen scaletrics that are trying to beat this one to the finish line!!

Phil
    J-man and bluey504 like this.

is that you driving phil?

Fellow Frogger!

That is SO cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by potentz View Post
    is that you driving phil?
    I wish !! Man you should see this little baby go on the track. The front and back lights are LED and it just screams. Sadly, I'm back to my childhood again. I just love anything R8 ish.

Phil

This is what I got. My son bought this off ebay a few weeks ago. 1:24 scale Alpine and 8G. Never been built, it's an original, must be about 45 years old and never opened (until now) I don't know if I should build them or not, almost seems a shame to disturb them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 TS Talavera for Fathers Day-alpine8g-model.jpg  
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Dave,
    I agree, a shame to build them. Better to preserve them as they are I think.

Phil - I have the same car. Raced against my mate with his GT500 Cortina on his home track (which is built in a room above his garage - quite impressive) but I think the photos were on my old phone and not brought across when I updated).
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    This is what I got. My son bought this off ebay a few weeks ago. 1:24 scale Alpine and 8G. Never been built, it's an original, must be about 45 years old and never opened (until now) I don't know if I should build them or not, almost seems a shame to disturb them.

Very nice

IMHO you should build them and put them on show, otherwise they are no better than a show car that does not get driven, but your toys, your choice.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Very nice

IMHO you should build them and put them on show, otherwise they are no better than a show car that does not get driven, but your toys, your choice.
    Yeah I know what your saying but it's like a 50 year old barn find. It's almost a shame to restore it. I have a couple of R16 models that never got built. 2 of them from the late 60's, 1:24 scale that sit in the model cabinet, I could sit these next to them.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Administrator

Yeah I know what your saying but it's like a 50 year old barn find. It's almost a shame to restore it. I have a couple of R16 models that never got built. 2 of them from the late 60's, 1:24 scale that sit in the model cabinet, I could sit these next to them.
    If you build them, just make sure you put them above 3 year old level this time....
    David Cavanagh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    If you build them, just make sure you put them above 3 year old level this time....
    Definately will do that.

One thought is to just use the shells and arrange them as in a wreckers yard.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

COL

Build them and display them sitting on top of the original boxes
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

As you know Dave, untouched in their boxes they will always be worth much more than built. You know all Renaults depreciate once you take them out of the box.As you can't drive them looking at the picture on the box will be as good as looking at them built- I never found my models ever looked as good after I built them compared to what the box made it look. I doubt that you'll totally enjoy building them as that is something you already know you can do. Left in the box you retain the ability to imagine what they might look like- once you construct them you can no longer dream about what they will look like. Don't destroy the dream and retain their value.

Well David, I have read all the following comments and never thought it would be so hard to decide! Personally, I like the idea to build them and display them on the box.
    Best Google up 'R8 TS Talavera' and go buy yourself one of these and enjoy the thrill of actually racing the little beast on a track with other tragics !!
    Cheers mate
    Phil

1000+ Posts

Difficult to decide. Perhaps depends on whether you will ever want to sell them or just look at them. I to have three models still in boxes (R16,4CV,F1 Reno) that I bought or had given to me way back when. I had only ever thought about building them never displaying them still in the box. Perhaps I should dig them out from the back of the cupboard and put them on display un built with my other models.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Stewart View Post
    As you know Dave, untouched in their boxes they will always be worth much more than built. You know all Renaults depreciate once you take them out of the box.As you can't drive them looking at the picture on the box will be as good as looking at them built- I never found my models ever looked as good after I built them compared to what the box made it look. I doubt that you'll totally enjoy building them as that is something you already know you can do. Left in the box you retain the ability to imagine what they might look like- once you construct them you can no longer dream about what they will look like. Don't destroy the dream and retain their value.

Yeah good piont Geoff.
    I've been building models since I was a teenager, I remember buying a R16 kit back when I was about 15 and getting bored with it so I cut the roof off it, glued the back doors shut and mounted a V8 in it so building them doesn't really challenge me anymore. This kit Chris bought me is a present so it's not for sale so the collector value doesn't interest me either, so it looks like it will sit on the shelf next to the 2 R16's and wait till someone (maybe I'll get grandkids one day) takes an interest. In the mean time I do enjoy opening them up just to look at them. I think there is a Citroen L15 there too.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Administrator

Definately will do that.

One thought is to just use the shells and arrange them as in a wreckers yard.
    You could just smash them into little pieces and scatter them upside down over a model paddock...Then it will just look like Chris and Rach have taken them for a drive...
    Redbacks and J-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    You could just smash them into little pieces and scatter them upside down over a model paddock...Then it will just look like Chris and Rach have taken them for a drive...
    Funny you should say the Richard. I remember as a kid heating up my models with a match or lighter and bending the plastic to make them look like they had been smashed. Yeah true, just be careful, you don't warm them up to much or they melt, just enough to make the plastic soft and then mold them into the shape of a tree or whatever.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Tadpole

Funny you should say the Richard. I remember as a kid heating up my models with a match or lighter and bending the plastic to make them look like they had been smashed. Yeah true, just be careful, you don't warm them up to much or they melt, just enough to make the plastic soft and then mold them into the shape of a tree or whatever.
    That sounds like the Australian version of Gomez from Adams Family and his train sets!
    J-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    That sounds like the Australian version of Gomez from Adams Family and his train sets!
    Ha ha don't laugh. Gomez was an inspiration. I don't suppose anyone under 50 remembers fire crackers, penny bangers, tomb thumbs and all the good toys we played with before the world went stupid.

We use to put them in our hotwheels cars and roll them down the track and blow them to bits. After we got bored with that we'd walk the streets blowing up people's letter boxes.
    FIVEDOOR and J-man like this.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

After we got bored with that we'd walk the streets blowing up people's letter boxes.
    I'm not admitting nuthing..
    David Cavanagh likes this.
    Every day is a good day

What about screwing two long bolts together loosely with a nut and fill the gap in the nut with match heads. Throw it in the air and when it lands on the concrete, the bolts part company in bullet like fashion. No more dangerous than my brother and I shooting each other from across the back yard with bow 'n' arrows with the tip of the arrow on fire I guess ...
    cheers,

John

All good fun so long as everybody survives intact
    Every day is a good day

Tadpole

Ha ha don't laugh. Gomez was an inspiration. I don't suppose anyone under 50 remembers fire crackers, penny bangers, tomb thumbs and all the good toys we played with before the world went stupid.

We use to put them in our hotwheels cars and roll them down the track and blow them to bits. After we got bored with that we'd walk the streets blowing up people's letter boxes.

Geepers you guys are serious I thought our pine cone wars were hardcore- nothing like getting hit in the face with an unopened pinecone. We must have been poor we didn't advance to gunpowder! What does this say about Renault owners? I think there might by material here for a PHD!

Thread Information