Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By 4cvg
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 2 Post By COL
  • 1 Post By potentz
  • 1 Post By R10S FAN

Thread: Renault 8 set of wheels

Default Renault 8 set of wheels

Just wondering if anyone would know where I could find a set of wheels for my renault 8 I'm after anything really, as long as they are 13x5(minimum) 5.5 preferably.
    Ally or steal, I'm just after a set that could replace the skinny original ones that I have.
    thanks heaps

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Instead of buying, you could get some made up. The first thing to become clear on is wheel diameter. You speak of 13s but I tend to think that to be not a good idea for a road car (see below). As you would guess, there are basically three options: 13, 14, and 15 inches & I will speak of each in turn.

15"
    The standard rims are 4 inches by 15 (with the R10S and R8 Gordini having 4.5). One option is to stay with 15" & widen the standard rims. Were this to be done, then one issue is the availability of tyres (I'm assuming that you're not thinking of "track day" tyres). Although it is easy enough to get a wide, low profile tyres in 15 inches, I recommend against their use. Putting them on the front is foolish with such a light front end and it would be impossible to achieve a close enough approximation to the original offset to avoid steering "crabbiness" without fouling. Putting them on the rear is foolish given the camber changes of a swing axle even with interventions to restrict axle droop.

Were you to have, say, 6" rims as rears & 5" fronts, then my recommendation would be to get the narrowest tyres that you could for the front (a hard ask in 15s) in the interest of steering feel (and, given that I generally recommend a 20 millimetre difference front to rear, also in the interest of not having the rears wider than is sensible with swing axles). You could use 175/65 fronts and 195/55 rears; and that size combination seems available in Continental's excellent PremiumContact2. I currently have these tyres all round on the Djet and on the front of the 4CVG and they're a nice combination of wet grip and crispness.

So far, so good. One problem with widening the standard 15 inch rims is that the centres are notoriously weak (basically thin gauge with poor stud hole design). Given this, and given the wide unsupported arc between any two stud holes, the wheel distorts in and out laterally under cornering forces and develops cracks around the stud holes. I haven't widened fifteens but I have used 15 inch centres cut down for wider fourteens and my solution to the weakness is to reinforce the wheel. Imagine a spacer ring cut from three millimetre plate and then tack welded to the wheel at a couple of points in each arc.

14"
    This is the size which I consider to be the perfect diameter for these vehicles. My Djet has 4.5 by 14 all round, and the R8 and 4CVG have 4.5 fronts and 5.5 rears with 165/65 and 185/60 respectively. Half of these wheels use cut-down 15 inch centres and half use R16 centres. The latter are stronger and do not need the reinforcements mentioned above. One difficulty with using a 14 inch wheel centre which is then mated to another 14 inch rim is that if the new rim has a shallower wheel well than the original R16 one, then the two won't physically connect - just a caution.

Mind you, the availability of 165/65 tyres of a decent sort is lessening. Indeed, 14 inch tyres are generally becoming passť. That said, one can still get not too bad 185/60 tyres and very good 165/70 (Conti PC2 - thank you VW Up!) and 175 /65 tyres (more of a choice in the 175/65). But, for the last of these, a 5 inch rim is the minimum. So, were you to want minimum 5" inch rims and 14 inches were to be the diameter, then that strikes me as a reasonable plan. I think that you would be able to (and are advised to) maintain standard offset at the front with 5 inches without fouling but if I'm wrong, then use 4.5 instead. Using 175/65 fronts and 185/60 rears is less of a differential than my desired 20 millimetre spread but would be able to be compensated for by tyre pressure tuning. My choice would be dictated by getting the best wet braking tyre I could for the fronts in whatever size was available from my shortlist of sizes and then fitting 185/60 at the rear. (My choice? - 165/70 Continental PremiumContact2 & 185/60 Bridgestone T001, Pirelli P1 or Yokohama C-Drive2.)

Let's assume for a moment that any issue about gearing takes 135/80-15 as the reference & 185/60-14 as the new tyre. You'd be under-gearing by <4% - not worth fussing over. This tyre size has two other benefits: one is that it is nearly the same outside diameter as the R12's 155/80-13 tyres. Thus, given transaxle ratio similarities, I used early R12 instrument packs in my R8 & 4CVG for a true speedo reading without modification. Neat! Also, it is nearly the same outside diameter as a 145/65-15 & thus that tyre can be used as a spare on a standard rim. (As it happens, 165/70 & 175/65 are also about the same O.D. as the 185/60, so general tyre swapping about in the case of a flat is possible without stressing the diff..)

So, in summary, my preference is 165/70 (4.5 rims) front & 185/60 (5.5) rear with tyre pressure tuning to get the handling balance you want. Still, let's consider 13".

13"
    This is definitely the wheel diameter of tuners' choice (all that A110 & Gotti influence). I have two objections.

The first is that whatever difficulties there are in getting decent, fairly small size, 14" & 15" tyres are trifling compared to those facing the seeker after 13" tyres. I have a 13" wheeled hottish Moke & use 185/60 on 5.5 rims. Short of some road-legal semi-track tyres, there's now basically just one choice: the Hankook Ventus V2 Concept. It's what I'll be fitting next if it's still available. Going down to another, once popular, size, 175/70-13, there's now just one decent tyre if it's still available: the Bridgestone AR10. My point in focusing on tyres is to emphasise that it's no good choosing an optimum wheel size if no tyres are available for it.

The second objection is that, to achieve clearance with 13" wheels, one has to have more offset than standard. And the wider the rims, the more pronounced that will be. For a competition car, that doesn't much matter as sheer grip is the priority but for a road car on uneven surfaces, it's a recipe for crabby, corrupted steering. I rather like the sweet feel of rear-engined Renaults' steering & suggest that it's worth preserving (although, as some would know, I advocate modification to quicken the ratio to 2.5).

To meet these points, I would be minimising tyre & wheel size at the front. (At the rear the objections do not apply - I happily had 5.5x13 rears on my 4CV for many years.)

So, if I were to be doing 13" wheels, then, for strength, I would try to use R12 centres (or cut down R16 if the R12 ones have too much negative offset to be able to physically mate with the positively offset new rim wheel wells). I would use 4.5 or 5" fronts with 175/70 tyres & 5.5 or 6" rears with 185/60.

Of course you might not care as much as I do about steering feel (can eleventy 'leven zillion Gotti users be wrong?).

Finally, I said that tyre availability should be considered at the same time as thinking about wheel choice. There is a tyre choice which I have not mentioned above: the Michelin TB15. A very nice tyre - but very expensive. Have a look at Longstone's site & two sizes appeal: in 15", the 170/65 & in 13", the 185/55. So, for a fairly classic appearance, one could have 5x15" (or, just legally, 4.5x15 R10S rims) all round with 170/65 & then tyre pressure tune handling balance. Or, avoiding mega-wide TB15 rears, one could similarly have 6x13 all round with 185/55 &, again, tyre pressure tune. Personally, I'd choose neither option.

Some food for thought I hope.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 6th September 2014 at 09:11 PM.
    lozenge, c.lees, jaahn and 1 others like this.

1000+ Posts

It is my understanding after many forum and a face to face discussion with Peter that he has studied this subject pretty thoroughly and this is probably the definitive answer.

I have a set of 4 Cosmics, 13x5 that I should probably let go of. RW059/032. They were for R12/15/17 (RCD 150mm). Like the ones on my profile pic. I'm on the central coast NSW though are you in VIC?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    It is my understanding after many forum and a face to face discussion with Peter that he has studied this subject pretty thoroughly and this is probably the definitive answer.
    That would be the Saturday morning understatement. Thanks for taking the trouble Peter, and trust you are thriving etc.

Cheers
    59 Floride likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I have a set of 14 x 5 inch widened steel wheels surplus to requirements if you're interested, $150 for the set. They need a rub back and repaint though. Will post pics if interested.

Cheers

Anthony

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Current Frogs:

1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

COL

Quote Originally Posted by paul1289 View Post
    I have a set of 4 Cosmics, 13x5 that I should probably let go of. RW059/032. They were for R12/15/17 (RCD 150mm). Like the ones on my profile pic. I'm on the central coast NSW though are you in VIC?
    If these wheels fit the R12/15/17 they will NOT fit the R8/10
    Frans and Jahsay like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Yeah I'm in VIC, R 12 won't fit on R8 though...

Hey mate, I'll appreciate if you could sent pictures please.
    you can send on my personal email [email protected]

cheers

Thanks for all the info Pete, you obviously know a little about it! :-)
    plenty of food for thought here, I've got some to study! The tyre availability is obviously a really good point, Thanks for all the tips, I might require your help further down the track, you seem to be source of knowledge. It's my first reno...

I am no expert, but i can tell you my experience. I have a 1974 Renault 17 currently running the 13x5.5 Momo's that were available, I know they are getting harder to get, however in regards to tyres I am running Nankang Ultrasport NS2's in 195/65/13. Obviously they aren't as big a brand as say Toyo or Continental and apparently when they started out they werent the best, however i would recommend them. I enjoy driving the 17 the way it should be driven through corners if you know what I mean, they are a sports tyre with amazing grip, good wear ( even with my driving) and no more noticable road noise, also only roughly $100 a pop and readily avaiable. Just a suggestion, as I've had them on my 17, Series 2 Mi16 and my 406.

1000+ Posts

Frankly, if Anthony confirms that his wheels have R8/10 suitable offset (& it sounds like they do) then I'd buy them, get them trued, soda blasted, etch-primed & painted & then fit 165/70 PC2 fronts & 185/60 rears.

I have just fitted the T001 in the latter size at the rear of my R8 & am not much impressed by the "loose" structure ( It seemed the best of a goodish bunch & I had expected better but had some misgivings from the published tests.) Next time (unless Conti listen to my plea & replace the woeful ComfortContact 5 in this size by the splendid PremiumContact 5 ) I'll try the P1 or the C-Drive 2.

Anthony doesn't say what centres his wheels have used but if they're cut down 15s, then the earlier-mentioned reinforcement is advised (the plate also gives stud holes that have not flogged oval). If things get to that stage, then I'll post some pictures of the rings.

I think that you'll enjoy the change in the R8 once you have pressure-tuned to get the handling balance you seek. There are all sorts of other ways to improve the handling but that's another story. They're nice fun "C" road cars even if bog standard in everything.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    I am no expert, but i can tell you my experience. I have a 1974 Renault 17 currently running the 13x5.5 Momo's that were available, I know they are getting harder to get, however in regards to tyres I am running Nankang Ultrasport NS2's in 195/65/13. Obviously they aren't as big a brand as say Toyo or Continental and apparently when they started out they werent the best, however i would recommend them. I enjoy driving the 17 the way it should be driven through corners if you know what I mean, they are a sports tyre with amazing grip, good wear ( even with my driving) and no more noticable road noise, also only roughly $100 a pop and readily avaiable. Just a suggestion, as I've had them on my 17, Series 2 Mi16 and my 406.
    Hmm! the usual criticism of Nankangs of all sorts in tests of them is poor wet grip. Below is a copy & paste from tyre Review's summary of a test of the NS2 by the respected German magazine Auto Bild. The test size was wider & lower profile than you'd be using across your fleet but still sounds a caution. Wet grip is a paramount consideration in a rear-engined Renault.

Nankang NS2
    Positive: Low rolling resistance.
    Negative: Dangerously long braking distance in the wet, wet understeer, reduced steering precision, loud and uncomfortable.

cheers! Peter

Hi All

Yes the widened steelies I have are suitable for R8/R10, they are made from R10 centres cut down. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Cheers

Anthony.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Current Frogs:

hi guys, i would like to share with you my choice of 13 inch tyres on the r8.
    KHUMO SOLUS 175 70 13 H RATED TO 210 KPH. WET AND DRY GRIP FANTASTIC.QUIET STABLE AND I CANNOT FAULT THEM.

READILY AVAILABLE AT A WHOPPING $54 EACH FROM TYRE TRADERS ON EBAY AT THE MOMENT.

MY SPEEDO READS ABOUT 66 MPH AT 100 KPH ON THE GPS.SURE IT REVS A BIT HIGHER BUT NOT A PROBLEM WITH A SWEET MOTOR. SPEEDO IS R8G

HAVE REALLY PUSHED THIS SETUP THROUGH TWISTY BITS IN WET AND DRY AND IT HANDLES REALLY WELL.( ON THE RACETRACK)

WHEELS ARE 13 x 5 BWA ALLOYS.

CHEERS BRIAN
    Last edited by potentz; 8th September 2014 at 06:54 PM.
    R10S FAN likes this.

1000+ Posts

The tyres Brian mentions are the KH17 pattern. It's good to hear his report as they've had mixed results in the available tyre tests. Another tyre in that size which is recommended by a frogger (Col) is Dunlop's LM 701.

cheers! Peter

Hey Anthony, could you send these pics please.
    pretty keen to check them out.

ta

Hi Jahsay,
    Ive taken some pics on my phone but the app won't let me put them on the forum unfortunately. Can you pm me your mobile number and ill send them to you straight away.
    Cheers
    Anthony.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Jahsay likes this.
    Current Frogs:

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    The tyres Brian mentions are the KH17 pattern. It's good to hear his report as they've had mixed results in the available tyre tests. Another tyre in that size which is recommended by a frogger (Col) is Dunlop's LM 701.

cheers! Peter
    A small post scriptum on this:

Another tyre which froggers might wish to consider is Hankook's K715. From the available tests it seems about the same middling sort of tyre as the KH17, perhaps a bit better compounded for the wet. I have no personal experience of them (or the KH17) but rather liked the related K415 (put on a friend's R16TS as the best thing then available in 175/70) that Hankook once had in the R16-friendly 175/70-14 size. Generally the K715 is available in a range of Renault-friendly 13" & 14" sizes.

cheers! Peter

Hey anthony,
    here is my number; 0404 965 936

thanks heaps.
    Seb

Hey mate my number, 0404 965 936. thanks heaps looking forward to see pics. Seb.

Quote Originally Posted by R10S FAN View Post
    Hi Jahsay,
    Ive taken some pics on my phone but the app won't let me put them on the forum unfortunately. Can you pm me your mobile number and ill send them to you straight away.
    Cheers
    Anthony.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Hi Seb,

PM sent.
    Current Frogs:

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=4cvg;1285721]
    <snip>

I have just fitted the T001 in the latter size at the rear of my R8 & am not much impressed by the "loose" structure ( It seemed the best of a goodish bunch & I had expected better but had some misgivings from the published tests.) Next time (unless Conti listen to my plea & replace the woeful ComfortContact 5 in this size by the splendid PremiumContact 5 ) I'll try the P1 or the C-Drive 2.

<snip>

Just a small update in case anyone's interested. I've been playing around with the T001s for a bit & my current views are below.

My previous 185/60-14 rear tyres were Conti's EcoContact3. They'd been on the 4CVG which has 3-3.5į of
    -ve camber. Thus even with brisk cornering they chop the inside edges. They are but notionally asymmetric & I happily flip them on their rims to even wear. These tyres had been flipped & were near shagged. As the R8 is more my daily driver, I swapped them on to it to finish them off before the weather became too wet (& put the hardly worn R8 EC3 rears on the 4CVG). The 165/65-14 R8 fronts were also EC3s & also flipped; fairly
    worn but not shagged (I had an un-noticed toe-out misalignment for a bit).

A few comments. I like the EC3's wet grip a lot; it's compounded very well for that & even the well worn rears were not noticeably diminished in merely slick wet conditions - so the compound aged well. They have not the tautest structure in their eco-tyre class but respond well to tautening via increased pressures. With the suspension set-up which the R8 currently has, I have run this EC3 set-up on various pressures but had settled on 30/34 to get the very pointy, almost nervous, neutral to oversteer balance which I like. I had used the same pressures on the much more fully treaded rear EC3s which had been swapped to the 4CVG.

The general consensus of the overseas tests was that the T001 was good in the dry but there was more variation concerning wet grip & handling (apart from a consensus that it is a mediocre wet braker - not a concern on the rear of an R8). There was some expressed concern about dry road handling instability upon load changes (like lift off or left-right jinks). The latter normally indicates a sloppy structure &/or an unstable tread. It also seemed that it fared better in smaller size tests, especially in the wet. Anyway, the rest of my short list (the P1 Cinturato) & medium list (Yoko C-Drive2 or Kumho KH17) looked worse overall so I bought a pair of the T001.

Initially, I used the same 34 psi rear pressure that I had used for both full-tread & well-worn EC3s.

Disaster.

From pointy cum nervous, the car become twitchy cum unstable. One can feel the tread on R8 rear tyres migrating laterally under load & this was hyper-present. Tyres can take a couple of hundred kms for the structure to settle a bit but this was beyond that. Lift off wasn't too bad (the structure is already distorted) but left-right jinks were very dodgy (so to speak).

So, the problem is a front-rear slip angle imbalance. Despite not being even close to the tautest tyre around in their class, the EC3 fronts were developing their maximum cornering force after less distortion than the rears. Tread block distortion can feel a bit similarly squirmy but I suspected structure The T001 tread, although having hugely wide longitudinal channels, has stable seeming tread elements, especially on the outside shoulder. No worse than the EC3 anyway, & the full tread EC3 hadn't had the problem.

So, usual reaction to a sloppy structure: up the pressures. By 2 psi increments (& leaving the fronts untouched) I got up to 40 psi at the rear. This is what I used to run with various (X, ZX, XZX) crappy 15" Michelins but for 185/60-14 it was on the high side. So, I now had an 8 psi differential, twice the previous set-up. It lessened things but did not cure them. I backed off to 38 & started lowering the fronts. I ended up with 24 F & 38 R. So, a 14 psi differential, something I haven't had in one of my toys since the bad old Michelins-all-round days!

The car no longer has my preferred pointy, nervous, neutral to oversteer balance but it will jink left-right without causing me palpitations & is benign on lift-off. So, a less than ideal workaround.

I shan't be getting the T001 again unless things markedly improve as the tread wears a bit asymmetrically in response to the bit of -ve which the R8 has. The main good news is that I've found the T001 to be better as a wet tyre than I had feared from its mixed reviews in the tests (it is a relatively narrow size). This is both in outright grip - streaming wet & merely slick - & in lift-off stability (not at all abrupt or snappy).

Unless the choice improves, I'll try the P1 next time.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jahsay View Post
    Hey mate my number, 0404 965 936. thanks heaps looking forward to see pics. Seb.
    So, did you get the wheels?

cheers! Peter

Thread Information