Megane 09 Diesel - advice pse.
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By simca1100

Thread: Megane 09 Diesel - advice pse.

  1. #1
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    10,204

    Icon5 Megane 09 Diesel - advice pse.

    Playing around with an 09 build date Megane Diesel

    Any tips or advice from owners of Diesel Meganes. Economy, things that need to be fixed?

    Advertisement


    And specifically this pipe appears to want to be connected to "something" it is located just in front of the Battery - end obviously plugs into another pipe? What is it, what does it do and where should it connect? see pic.


    Megane 09 Diesel - advice pse.-pipe-megane-diesel.jpg

    Thanks.

    Ken

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Blackburn Victoria
    Posts
    382

    Default

    That is the battery vent. If you look carefully at the the top left of the battery in your picture, there should be a hole where
    you can simply push in that pipe.
    If the battery is a replacement, may not have the hole.
    Check both ends.
    Cheers, Steve

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    10,204

    Icon14 Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    That is the battery vent. If you look carefully at the the top left of the battery in your picture, there should be a hole where
    you can simply push in that pipe.
    If the battery is a replacement, may not have the hole.
    Check both ends.
    Cheers, Steve
    I actually thought of that Steve, but couldn't find a corresponding outlet on the battery - good idea till the battery gets changed!!

    Thanks for the reply.

    Ken

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,293

    Default

    As a matter of interest, where does the other end of the vent pipe end up?
    It's another lovely day! Again!

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lavers Hill
    Posts
    282

    Default

    battery vent goes to exterior, EXCEPT for vehicles destined for England, where it vents to the cigarette lighter....REVENGE you Eeenglish pig dogs...
    jo proffi likes this.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,181

    Default

    Hi Ken, you mentioned your diesel car in the Tesla thread. Just curious - how economical is it?
    Have been driving daughter's Golf diesel for the last 7 weeks. Run about town short trips only except for two trips to the airport which are about 30 km each way. First refill worked out to 7.3l/100km, second refill was 6.45l/100km.
    Our Megane uses about 2 to 3 l (95)more doing equivalent trips.
    Like driving both cars but the Megane has more comfortable seats and a little more turbo lag.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    10,204

    Default Haven't bothered with exactly calculating the difference, I just enjoy driving.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Hi Ken, you mentioned your diesel car in the Tesla thread. Just curious - how economical is it?
    Have been driving daughter's Golf diesel for the last 7 weeks. Run about town short trips only except for two trips to the airport which are about 30 km each way. First refill worked out to 7.3l/100km, second refill was 6.45l/100km.
    Our Megane uses about 2 to 3 l (95)more doing equivalent trips.
    Like driving both cars but the Megane has more comfortable seats and a little more turbo lag.
    Jobo when we were doing a lot of driving back and forth to Echuca it used to cost us $70 for a petrol fill of 98 RON and now we seem to be averaging about $55 full tank to full tank, so there was an immediate savings. I keep a log of fills and km travelled for tax purposes, so if you really want it I can pm you a copy.

    Most times we have to travel so just fill it, can't avoid it but always hope to get 116.9 litre fills of Diesel instead of 133.9 a litre like I saw today as I came back from the city.

    The Megane Diesel is pretty stodgy till you give it a prod on the accelerator pedal and it winds up quickly, not as comfortable as the Laguna to drive and has a lot of rattles in the dash components, but hell I can get used to those. When driving the Petrol Laguna I tend to stay away from 95 as it IMHO is grossly over priced in the margin the oil companies have set. Generally I got better mileage in the Laguna and the engine loved the 98 RON stuff, must have whisky in it.

    Haven't driven the VW diesel but a few mates tell me it suits them both in performance and fuel cost.

    Ken

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,181

    Default

    Thanks Ken! Don't send me the log. Was just curious.
    The Golf goes like sh.. off a shovel. Get caught out taking off with wheel spin even though the traction control kicks in. I't a really pleasant car to drive, no rattles but the seats are constructed for bigger Kraut bums.
    All things being equal (maintenance, service life and purchase price) the diesel is a winner hands down.
    BTW filld up at United for just under $1.3 today
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    10,204

    Icon14 Economical while we can Jobo!

    Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Thanks Ken! Don't send me the log. Was just curious.
    The Golf goes like sh.. off a shovel. Get caught out taking off with wheel spin even though the traction control kicks in. I't a really pleasant car to drive, no rattles but the seats are constructed for bigger Kraut bums.
    All things being equal (maintenance, service life and purchase price) the diesel is a winner hands down.
    BTW filld up at United for just under $1.3 today
    Jobo I prefer the country price of $1.16 but wonder how long that will last, there was a real line up at all their bowsers with motorists scrambling to fill when we were heading back to high priced Melbourne

    I'm just holding on to my diesel long enough to get over the rather costly AL4 rebuild and then will probably be looking around for another Renault Diesel vehicle....... The only good thing about the AL4 was the way it keeps steady on the speed limit as you go downhill no overrun speedup. Laguna can drift over on the downhill as no retardation from the transmission. Wonder if that is the same on the Laguna Diesels?

    I wonder also if VW have got over the expensive transmission rebuilds too, was an eye opener to be told that when the RCCV visited a transmission repair business a few years back.

    Ken

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    About 6 years ago I spoke to a tilt bed tow truck guy and he said the most vehicles he picked were Holden Captiva and VW both with transmission failure.

    My Latitude diesel does 5.6 ltr per 100 on a trip and 6.7 over all with a mix of town and country running. Very similar engine to the Megane diesel and the car is a good bit heavier. Diesel is almost always cheaper than 91 petrol in SE QLD. Doesn't accelerate quite as fast as the V6 petrol but has great torque on hills and certainly runs very quitely at high speeds. I woudn't buy anything but a diesel now. (Well accept for old Renaults from pre diesel times.)

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,181

    Default

    I wonder also if VW have got over the expensive transmission rebuilds too, was an eye opener to be told that when the RCCV visited a transmission repair business a few years back.
    Don't know,Ken. Hers has travelled 78,000km and all is still in good order. The DSG is working brilliantly.
    My other daughter had a '95 1.9 TDI and at about 53,000 the turbo crapped out. She had it repaired ($3,500 or so i think) at an independent VW place in Sydney. When they took it for a test drive the turbo broke again which was replaced at their (or VW's) expense. Sold the car some time ago because it's faster walking than driving in Sinny
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    The only good thing about the AL4 was the way it keeps steady on the speed limit as you go downhill no overrun speedup. Laguna can drift over on the downhill as no retardation from the transmission. Wonder if that is the same on the Laguna Diesels?….
    Ken
    You'd like the koleos 6 speed auto then.
    It has the best gearbox programming i've ever experienced in a renault.
    Jo

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •