How much would u pay???
  • Register
  • Help

Icon9 How much would u pay???

Ellow Fellers,
    I bought my self a '85 fuego gtx last year and have now decided to change the wheels to normal alloys. The thing is that the previous owner shelled out a fortune and bought some new tyres that fitted the fuego 13.5" rims.

Advertisement

How much would u pay for 5 tyres(at least 80% tread left) on some ok rims???

Ps. I want to know so i can set a budget for the alloys.

Those tyres are priceless!! In otherwords they are likely not worth anything because they are so old with cracked sidewalls and treads. But I have heard that TRX's are now back in limited production again so of course they could be new new and not just new and perished.

Still, because they are such a nasty coarse tyre on a Fuego, making it sound like the wheel bearings are going to fail, they are likely to only have minimal value to a hardcore Fuego freak who pines for originality and ultimate points in a concours 20 years hence.

1000+ Posts

As one of the few who keep their own car on the original TRX,
    I have bought a few in very good condition paying $100 to $150 maximum per wheel and tyre.

At that price I would expect excellent tread (near new) and no cracks in the sidewalls. I was able to pick and choose from those on offer at that price range.

Prior to that I was trying to buy new tyres from Michelin Aust. but they were unavailable at a list price of $215 to $230.

Both my kids cars have been converted to non metric alloy rims using low profile tyres. They are delighted with the improved handling characteristics of their cars (much much better than the old hard compound TRX's)

I have just stuck with the originals as I like the design of the alloys. Under severe braking the original TRX do tend to skid, and they are a heavy steering tyre.

I still buy the occasional well shod secondhand TRX, but then as I said I pick the best for the money!!

The price for non metric alloys for my kids cars was in the order of $1000 to $1400 for the (4 on the road wheels) fitted with low profile tyres.

If you search around and follow the advice from previous posts, (Fuego - aternative tyres)then there are quite a number of steel wheels from other cars that can be purchased and fitted at a much cheaper price - you get what you pay for...

As most Fuego owners are interested in performance etc rather than stock standard its a buyers market for original tyres...

Ken

Thanx

Thread Information