Laguna cooling system
  • Register
  • Help

Default Laguna cooling system

A hose on my Laguna cooling system has blown. It is the hose that runs from the end of the engine to a connection at the firewall and which a smaller hose running from a T intersection to immediately below the coolant tank filler cap.

Advertisement

I have been able to loosen the clamps and get the hose off the engine and the pipe adjoining the coolant tank, but I can't sort out how to disconnect it at the firewall. The replacement hose from Renault has simple spring loaded clip that is squeezed to open the hose end so it fits over the pipe into the firewall. The existing older pipe does note seem to have this.

Does anyone have advice on how to unclip this?

Thanks

1000+ Posts

Ken

I think that I just used a pair of multigrips to unclip it, I know that I also had a couple of old clamping grips, but I don't think that I had to resort to making anything up to do the job.

The reverse is just clipping the new hose onto the pipe. Just watch that the cause of the pressurisation isn't a failing thermostat on the engine, as it fails closed and I have had two of these fail over the years, they are on the fast warmup - startup - part of the coolant system. If it fails you can limp home with the heater on full tilt and plenty of time. I didn't do the thermostat change as we needed the car back in Service so passed that job to Auto Paris. If you have the time, I am sure you could change the thermostat yourself on the passenger side of the engine.

The old hose that I removed is probably still around, as far as I recall it had the same clip arrangement as the new one.

Regards

Ken.

1000+ Posts

Laguna cooling system-rotate-blue-ring-anti-clockwise.jpgLaguna cooling system-heater-connector.jpg

This is a picture of the heater connector, from memory I just kept turning it and pulling with the multi grips as the blue clip is pretty soft, I guess that if you can get onto the plastic clip with a small bladed screwdriver you could easily lift one of the clips clear. It is quite possible that just the pulling twisting round might have released the clips as it came off pretty easily and the new one went on easy too.

Ken

Laguna cooling system-split-hose.jpg This is the split in the hose at the engine connection point - thermostat is in that general location.
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 31st August 2014 at 12:49 AM. Reason: add image

Hmmm. Thanks Ken. My hose split around the same area but in a circular manner, not laterally.

I'll check for the thermostat.

The replacement hose I bought has two raised "levers" that open the hose clip/apeture when squeezed: these don't seem to exist on the old hose. Mine existing hose is identical to your photo with the blue ring but I can't see where I'd use the multi grips. I guess some brute force on the blue ring might loosen it as you imply. Or does it pull back or deform to unclip if squeezed at the right point?

Thanks again

Ken

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ken marriott View Post
    Hmmm. Thanks Ken. My hose split around the same area but in a circular manner, not laterally.

I'll check for the thermostat.

The replacement hose I bought has two raised "levers" that open the hose clip/apeture when squeezed: these don't seem to exist on the old hose. Mine existing hose is identical to your photo with the blue ring but I can't see where I'd use the multi grips. I guess some brute force on the blue ring might loosen it as you imply. Or does it pull back or deform to unclip if squeezed at the right point?

Thanks again

Ken
    That seems to ring a bell with me, and I seem to recall I felt I was lucky when the connection came off, the blue ridge you can see inside the connector is attached to the quite long plastic spring clip segment, so it is soft and flexible, so it is either a brute force pressure or by lifting the end of the plastic spring, squeezing seems to do nothing to release the clips. I might have put a wipe of silastic on the new connection to make sure it sealed, or I may have decided against that - can't remember now, it was a few years ago. Anyway try the wriggle and pull technique or use a small bladed screw driver to pry up the end of the plastic clip on one side.

In some fluid connections, sliding the outside (in your case blue) circular clip back away from the connection will release the bits that hold it all together. The joint is normally and simply sealed by an O-ring. This is something we have in boat plumbing and may not have anything to do with Frogginess, but it was worth a mention..................
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Yes, I think it's a sort of bayonet, you turn a small amount then pull back the sheath.

Ken, Kim and Addo. Thanks folks. I think I see a way thru. Your advice is most useful. If I can something fixed around the blue section and, as addo says, turn and pull, it should come. The constraint is the room available to access it. Is it easy to remove the inlet cowling (?) covering that section of the engine or would it be best not to go that far?

I'm probably going to have to leave this for few days due to work but will let you know how I get on

Regards

ken

1000+ Posts

Ken I have just added another picture, the outer ring rotates in a clockwise direction (Arrow direction illustrated on the ring this action lifts both of the clips clear of the rim on the heater hose outlet, in the photo I am rotating the ring with thumb pressure to lift the clips. I guess that when I was holding the ring with the multigrips I also rotated it in the correct direction and it came off easily, doesn't take much pressure to rotate the outer ring.

When it came off, I must admit I didn't really bother to check the release mechanism, the new one was different anyway..

Good Luck!!

Ken

Thread Information