Pictures of my 5
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pictures of my 5

Default Pictures of my 5

Just thought I'd share a couple of my little 5 here in Queensland.

Advertisement

I bet you get some second glances at that slgreavett
    cheers,

John

Yep, there have been a few looking...looking away and then having a sneaky second look.

Suspension is next, drop it a few inches and it should take on a whole other look...can't wait!!

Thanks

Simon

Funny enough John, I drove it back from South Australia....2600kms, had a blown rear (front) crank seal 100km outside of Cobar, then the gear lever dislodged leaving me gearless for a few moments. Other than that, she drove perfectly.
    The retainer spring for the lip seal had become dislodged!!..Easy fix.
    Thanks

Simon

That looks like the car previously owned (and imported to Australia) by Nick and Jan Davies. A lot of work went into creating that car!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Yes, I believe it could be, I purchased it from his friend Don.., and yes...I agree....a lot of time and effort has gone into this little five. I saw it by chance flicking through Just Hot Rods magazine on night shift. Recognised the front of it immediately having owned one similar in the U.K. Mag was two months out of date, but tried my luck any way!
    Don was great allowing my friend to come and view the vehicle one rainy evening in April, said friend was also a Renault 5 Nut in the U.K when I had mine, he said it was the cleanest he'd every seen...especially in all the trouble places. Sent me some photo's and the rest is history.
    Don't like taking too much away from the originality of what it is, but because it was originally Gold and an Automatic it's not going to matter too much. Besides, in my opinion, upgrading parts to Alpine/Gordini spec has never been a bad thing.

Looks nice! So is it a normal 5 upgraded with 5 Alpine/Gordini bits?

Anyone heard what happened to the the 5 Alpine that sold at a car collection auction maybe 5 years ago? It was LHD, I think black and maybe a Alpine turbo, I can't recall exactly.

Are there any other 5 Alpines/ Alpine Turbos in Australia?
    2002 Monaco Blue Renaultsport Clio 172
    1975 R1317 Renault 17 Gordini

Hi Jenson,
    Yep, pretty much. The previous owner had the bumper and the dash panels on the car already. Wasn't sure if I was going to leave it as was or do what I'm doing with it now, but searching the net I found loads of stuff for sale some new some second hand. But if your willing to put in some French translation and a few e-mails here and there it comes together quite quickly. Money is the major factor!!
    Any thing can be done as long as you have the money to pay for it.
    Suspension is on it's way from a very helpful 5 Nut in on a Renault 4,5 & 6 forum in France. It's going to have the Alpine turbo suspension, Thicker Torsion bars front and rear and Thicker front sway bar and actually have a rear roll bar instead of none at all.
    Having some hand made shock absorbers made with bump and rebound adjustment so should start to handle better.
    Engine still in question, have a normally aspirated one in mind but am trying to retain the 5's standard box instead of the Gordini/Alpine box, it has a longer gear and doesn't rev so high at higher speeds.

Glad you like it!
    Thanks

Simon

Nice one Simon.

How bout this for an engine idea. I have an article from the 70s which refers to the Alpine engineers building up an R5 with a 12G 160hp motor in it. Given it is a lot easy to find a 807 based engine in Oz than a 5A, it might be an interesting re-creation!

Then again if you want to stick with the wide ratio 4 speed maybe a torquey turbo motor is better suited .

Hi Jensen
    I have the Bob Watson built R5 Turbo Group B rally car. This car has a 16TX 1647cc turbo charged motor.
    I have never had it on a dyno but it has well in excess of 250 hp .
    So yes the idea has been used and the car is a rocket ship ,but is a bit unreliable.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sealey View Post
    Hi Jensen
    I have the Bob Watson built R5 Turbo Group B rally car. This car has a 16TX 1647cc turbo charged motor.
    I have never had it on a dyno but it has well in excess of 250 hp .
    So yes the idea has been used and the car is a rocket ship ,but is a bit unreliable.

Rob
    Here is a pic of Robs R5T Group B rally car. It's an absolute rocket!

Nice Rob, is it rwd like a 5 Turbo?

The one I read about was still fwd. From memory it is in the black covered collection of articles on Alpines. Will have a look when I get home

Love the R5 Simon, it's easily the best looking one I've seen in Oz.
    Is the third pic a 'before' pic?
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
    Nice Rob, is it rwd like a 5 Turbo?

The one I read about was still fwd. From memory it is in the black covered collection of articles on Alpines. Will have a look when I get home
    Hi Jensen
    It is RWD like the factory cars

Rob

Hi Renomad,
    Thanks for that, although I can't take most of the credit really. Yes the third pic was on it's epic road trip back from South Australia, took that picture as it crossed the NSW border into Queensland. It's almost the right height there, The front torsion bars had been installed with a little less tension than needed to get the right height and as a result I was only 5mm travel from bump stops most of the way home. The rears had been set well, and it looks lower due to a set of very thin original wheels, a couple of front guards, a windscreen, 40 litres of fuel, 20 litres of water a few tools and bag of clothes.

Jenson, I would be interested to read that article if you can find it, I'm not that familiar with the R12 Engine family, but your right it could be interesting. I'd love to own the rear engine turbo 1 or 2 but at this stage in my life it's not within grasp. But I have told the Mrs that when the house is payed...probably never....I'll be looking for one very seriously.
    I will be staying with the front engine front wheel drive version for now, met my wife in the identical car 20 years ago. Younger me and my old car picture attached!!

Last edited by slgreavett; 29th August 2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Extra picture added
    lion5 and Renomad like this.

1000+ Posts

Great looking 5 Simon. Definitely interested in progress reports.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Rob

Do you find out what the gearbox was?

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    Hi Rob

Do you find out what the gearbox was?
    Hi Barry
    I have fitted a UN1 with the Hewland LSD now ,just trying to get a clear Friday to run it in at Winton.

Rob

This comming Friday Rob, GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm running Sat, thanks only to you.
    Once I thought I was wrong but, I was mistaken

The Torsion bars arrived from France safe and sound. After a quick fabrication of some rear sway bar clamps and arm brackets, and a quick paint, they are now fitted to the vehicle. She is sitting much better now, and handles a lot better. Need to do a wheel alignment and fit the shock's when they arrive to further enhance the handling.

Notice also the mirrors arrived. Direct fitment into the standard threaded holes in the door skin.

Next project.....funds for engine!

Hi Simon,
    Your R5 is verrry well presented. Very nice cars to play with. The R5 G/A motor is a very nice motor to get horses out of. very willing to produce and lots of good parts available. Seen very good results from the awkward twin Weber arrangement. The manifolds come up regular. Good compression pistons available and good cams from Europe. Even saw one in France with 2 barrel, multi port fuel injection.

Lots to look forward to.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Hi Ray,

Yes I agree, I'm looking forward to the next stage now. I've seen a few pics of the twin weber specials, and I think that's where I'm heading really. I'll be happy with the standard 5 G/A motor for now, then i'll start collecting the bits for the twin carb job.
    Going to take a while and a few funds but I'm sure it will happen. I never thought I'd even see the torsion bars.....
    Yeah, I had to laugh my self when I saw an injected version...very funny, at least it's possible!!

Thanks

Simon

1000+ Posts

Injection from the Twingo would fit wouldn't it...?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Hmm...good idea!!

Has any one on the forum tinkered with twin weber 40/45 Dcoe's on a 1397 Alpine/Gordini motor?

Would love to go that way with mine, but still want it to drive nice, and not be all or nothing! There is always a trade off I know, but I did read about the 45 dcoe with a few different versions with progression holes.

I'm also hoping some one has experimented with camshafts on the Atmo engine in collaboration with the carbs?
    Would be nice to up the power of the standard engine!

Any one? Any info advise gratefully received!

Thanks

Simon
    P.s Engine on its way from U.K!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information