• Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By DanielBendigo
  • 2 Post By Kram
  • 1 Post By 4cvg
  • 2 Post By robmac

Thread: Cheap coils - Don't

Default Cheap coils - Don't

15 months ago I spent $80 for four coils on e-bay, way cheaper than even second hand ones from a wreckers. I put all four in at once, and put the old ones (four) in the cupboard in case I needed them.

In November last year (less than 12 months after getting them) I was down in Melbourne and one went. Fortunately my mechanic was in the workshop on the weekend and was able to sell (and even fit) a new one, otherwise I would have been pretty much stranded at 4:00 on a Saturday, and no way of getting the car back to Bendigo.

Last weekend, another one went on Sunday night just as I was leaving to come home. I thought I'd put one in the glove box, but it turned out to be the dud. At 7:00 on a Sunday night, I was stuck. RACV could give me a night accommodation, or a rental car, but I had to collect from the airport (all that's open then), and pay the one way rental fee to get it back from Bendigo. Fortunately my mother lent me her car for the week (my old car) to get me home and back to Melbourne this weekend.

60km after replacing the last one, another one went while driving in Melbourne yesterday. Learnt my lesson, spares in the glovebox now. Left Melbourne at 4:00 today to come home, and just after the Malmsbury turn-off I hear a soft thump, and the car starts to lose power. 3rd coil gone in 8 days, and less than 250km. I ended up having to drive home on 3 cylinders. Lost a lot of speed up hills, and went from 120 down to 50 going up Big Hill (coming into Bendigo).

Advertisement

The morals of the story, don't buy cheap coils, put a spare in the glovebox, not in the cupboard, and have a small toolset in the car. At $20 a pop they're far cheaper the newer fancy ones that last forever at $160 each, but the inconvenience of having them go so far from home is a pain in the backside majorly.
    David Cavanagh likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

What you pay is what you will get when it comes to electronics.

How does that saying go about buying cheap and buying twice

We have some in Kyneton that would have gotten you out of trouble.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

The waters are muddied when "OEM" is also Chinoiserie.

I'd be looking hard at whether the car was running hot, too. Pencil coils in a warm climate are a recipe for shorter component lives IMO.

Even the Valeo ones on ebay UK are cheaper than anything you will purchase from Supercheap etc. Think I paid about $180 landed for 4x units. Pretty happy with that.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    It goes; "I'm a tightass and will buy cheap crap and when it fails I'll blame a whole country".
    David Cavanagh and jaahn like this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    <snip>

I'd be looking hard at whether the car was running hot, too. Pencil coils in a warm climate are a recipe for shorter component lives IMO.
    I've always rather liked the idea of locating them remotely in a cooler part of the engine bay.
    addo likes this.

We have some in Kyneton that would have gotten you out of trouble.
    I did kind of think about that, I figured out last week the guy that sits next to me at work lives behind you. I did think about going to his place and driving around the block looking for all the French cars. But I only thought of that as I was going past the final Kyneton turn-off. Plus I didn't think you'd appreciate a stranger on the doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    The waters are muddied when "OEM" is also Chinoiserie.

The screws were burning hot when I pulled them out, which I don't remember feeling before, but I guess I've never changed them on a warm engine before.

Quote Originally Posted by paul1289 View Post
    Even the Valeo ones on ebay UK are cheaper than anything you will purchase from Supercheap etc. Think I paid about $180 landed for 4x units. Pretty happy with that.
    I've just ordered some quality replacements as spares.

These ones lasted about 30-40,000km, I can't remember at what point between services I fitted them. So in the scheme they were OK value, but in the scheme of things I'd much rather not be stranded in Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    I did kind of think about that, I figured out last week the guy that sits next to me at work lives behind you. I did think about going to his place and driving around the block looking for all the French cars. But I only thought of that as I was going past the final Kyneton turn-off. Plus I didn't think you'd appreciate a stranger on the doorstep.

The screws were burning hot when I pulled them out, which I don't remember feeling before, but I guess I've never changed them on a warm engine before.

I've just ordered some quality replacements as spares.

These ones lasted about 30-40,000km, I can't remember at what point between services I fitted them. So in the scheme they were OK value, but in the scheme of things I'd much rather not be stranded in Melbourne.

Is that Tyson? He is directly behind us. His uncle is Bazzamac on the forum. Poor bloke is surounded by Renault tragics. Your welcome to call in if your stuck, wouldn't be the first time. Easy to find, it's the Paris end of Kyneton
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Yep, Tyson.

Fortunately the car made it back to Bendigo OK.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Fellow Frogger!

Is that Tyson? He is directly behind us. His uncle is Bazzamac on the forum. Poor bloke is surounded by Renault tragics. Your welcome to call in if your stuck, wouldn't be the first time. Easy to find, it's the Paris end of Kyneton
    What a small world. Yep, Tyson is my nephew.

I bet you gave him a heart attack. Neighbours, uncle and now work mates into Renaults. Enough to send him round the bend. My daughter baby sits his kids so she brainwashes them with horses.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Hi Daniel. Re coil pack lifespan. Ok well it's been well documented here that this can depend on the quality of the product itself. I would suggest it also depends on some other factors:

Whether the plugs are being replaced at the recommended 60k interval (cleaning them and checking gap every second service doesn't hurt either).

Ensuring you use the same brand/ model coil pack I would argue is also a factor.

One other thing. The coil pack bolt holes in the head often thread out. This creates a comprimised connection at the HV end of things (coil/plug) and thus creates heat. In the longer term this will cause coils to break down prematurely. Probably not in your case but just for anyone reading this who might be in the situation where they know they have threaded bolt holes. Most service shops will helicoil them for very small cost if you tell them about it as plugs aren't often checked at services only replaced at an interval the logbook says they should and thus the threaded holes get missed.

I have two Scenics. One has still got its original coil packs at around 190k (touch wood) but I recently purchased a second Scenic which had three different types of coil packs in service. Service history documents regular plug changes but #3 coil pack was replaced at 136k and #2 replaced at 156k. #1 and #3 bolt holes were threaded out when I acquired the vehicle. #4 coil pack died a few weeks back just after a recent service where I had the helicoils done. So, it was a mess. Those Valeo coil packs which I mentioned in an earlier post are now installed. I keep a spare from the collection of odds left out of the car in each vehicle and as one dies, in the longer term I will replace it with the same coil pack installed in either car. I might even put Valeo ones in the other Scenic once they start to die over there, to keep them all the same.

(talking about the F4R engine here, but these thoughts probably apply to most engines.)

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    What you pay is what you will get when it comes to electronics.
    That's not what I've found. I've purchased upward of 100 off Chinese $2.50 timer board, relay boards and light sensor board. Not to mention the $2.50 power supply converter/rectifier boards and $.30 plastic boxes and $2.50 terminal strips off ebay.

I couldn't make circuit board nor buy the individual components on these "building block" circuits at that cost.

It takes me 30mins to drill and assemble the modules. Paying myself $70, with parts at around $10. My client sells the assembled unit for $250.

I have made around 50 of the units and not one failure yet. So cheap is good in this case!
    Last edited by robmac; 27th August 2014 at 06:04 PM.
    addo and jaahn like this.

Is the paris end of kyneton named after the architecture, the people, the property values or the high concentration of French cars?

Ian

It's famed for a collection of French Quarter Horses.

rare or well done?
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by IThompson View Post
    Is the paris end of kyneton named after the architecture, the people, the property values or the high concentration of French cars?

Ian

It's because of the high number of French cars, there native to the area, especially around Hallorans Lane. There hard to spot because they like to sit hidden amongst the trees and when there on the move usually travel very fast and very loudly.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IThompson View Post

Ian
    Plaster of Paris to give it a French Connection??

Thread Information