• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Lincooln
  • 2 Post By bazzamac

Thread: NZ Frogger with Fuego Turbo and R12

Default NZ Frogger with Fuego Turbo and R12

Hi there

Advertisement

Thought I would introduce myself here as there seems to be no intro page?

Any way, I have a 1986 registered Fuego Turbo that is currently off the road. This is due to the liner seals expiring. The motor is out and the engine bay is getting a tidy up and repaint slowly. Engine is in some pieces in the garden shed. I have managed to get new OEM gasket set, rings, bearings etc. All I need now are some pistons and I will be able to get it back together. Liners are in good nick and should only need a hone. Likewise the Rods and crank are all mint too.

I will be doing some things to help the handling in this too, such as reversing the rear anti roll bar, double front roll bar and a few other things. Need to get it a bit lower too and some better shocks. No going for ground scraping as it will be a daily type thing.

I also have a long term project that is a 1975 registered R12 Wagon. Full of rust. I lost the radiator some how. I took it out to get repaired/replaced but now have no idea where it is. So if you have one that would be a bonus, wink wink

Pics are below. Only of Fuego, no good pics of the 12 and it looks too sad to post up.

Mungous and deja vu 25 like this.
    French
    1975 Renault 12 Wagon (project)
    1986 Fuego Turbo (motor being rebuilt + more work)

Not so French
    1972 HQ Race Car
    1989 Lada Niva (2L Fiat twin cam with EFI)

COL

Welcome to Aussiefrogs Lincooln

Looks like you will be very busy with your cars like most members here.

You will find there is plenty of help and guidance here.

Post up pics of your rebuilds as we all like to see what fellow Aussiefroggers are upto.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Lincooln

Welcome as Col said. I have completely restored a Fuego Turbo that I imported from NZ in mid 2008. Have since removed the A5L engine and installed a fuel injected rebuilt Type 841 motor (R18) with Garret T25 Turbo all hooked up to a Motec computer. Now going but still to be run in and computer still needs to be reprogrammed. Ready to help with any questions you might have. Have posted details and photos elsewhere on aussiefrogs.
    deja vu 25 and Lincooln like this.

Hi Bazzamac. Your Fuego sounds like it should be a bit of fun. I will be sure to find the pics on it and will no doubt ask you something when the time comes.

Also thanks for the welcome COL. I will be sure to put up a build thread when I get a chance.

Cheers
    French

Not so French
    1972 HQ Race Car

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Lincooln

If you can't find, let me know and I will post again plus other pictures of its body restoration.

Hey Bazzamac, I tried looking and couldn't find anything. It would be appreciated if you could post the info again.

Cheers
    French

Not so French
    1972 HQ Race Car

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Lincooln

Have a look at this link - Crank case ventilation on fuel injected Fuego turbo

For others, go to the navigation panel and type in Fuego Turbo and bazzamac.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Lincooln

If you want, PM me your email address and I will send you some photos.

Hello lincooln, welcome to AF.

You suggestion of a second front sway bar is the second time this month I've read about the concept.
    My observation of the fuego front bar suggests it moves around like crazy, which seems to offer a variable geometry.
    The drop links have large amounts of free play and all in all is it is a very poorly designed bit of kit.

I've adressed the lateral movement through the mounting points with whitline clamps and bushes. Got sick and tired of other brand bushes shaging out in no time.
    fuego sway bar bling

But , at the end of the day there is still heaps of room for improvement over the OE bar.

So, what happens with 2 bars?
    Surely a more elegant solution would be to design up a new bar and have a spring maker fabricate it for you.
    Might even be able to shed a Kg or two in process, and have a much better way of mounting it to the upper control arm. A clever design might include multiple options for the drop link mounts, and introduce variable settings.
    The concept of adding weight to the front end of a fuego just seems contrary to good performance.
    (On that note, ultra light weight wheels are a good upgrade, although I really like the rims your car has on.)

I actualy got part way through rose jointing the drop links before my die handle snapped and I never finished the job.

Anyway...something to ponder.

Jo

Ps...I just drove the car into the shed with the hope of trying the reverse sway bar trick on the rear...
    Some goose has put a great big muffler right where the bar would sit.....Doh.
    Last edited by jo proffi; 30th August 2014 at 04:15 PM.

Thread Information