dauphine rear springs
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4cvg

Thread: dauphine rear springs

1000+ Posts

Default dauphine rear springs

I'd appreciate it if some kind & knowledgeable frogger would tell me the wire diameter of a Dauphine rear spring (3-stud vehicles in case it makes a difference). My impression from somewhere is that the springs are thinner wire than R10 ones but I'd like firmer knowledge.

Advertisement

Thanks in advance, Peter

From the MR 93 Dauphine manual:

Pre-Aerostable rear spring - 12.75mm wire diameter, 99mm outside diameter, 278mm +- 1.5mm free length

R1090 Aerostable rear spring - 11.1mm wire diameter, 99mm outside diameter, 337mm free length

R1091 (Gordini) aerostable rear spring - 12.3mm wire diameter, 101mm outside diameter, 294mm free length
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Ah! wonderful. Thank you Simon. (Why does it not surprise me that you had the answer?)

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    From the MR 93 Dauphine manual:

Pre-Aerostable rear spring - 12.75mm wire diameter, 99mm outside diameter, 278mm +- 1.5mm free length

R1090 Aerostable rear spring - 11.1mm wire diameter, 99mm outside diameter, 337mm free length

R1091 (Gordini) aerostable rear spring - 12.3mm wire diameter, 101mm outside diameter, 294mm free length
    That will make quite a range of spring rates. If I recall my advice from Phil in Q'ld, the torsional property is proportional to the fourth power of diameter. So the 12.75 mm spring would be 74% stiffer than the 11.1 mm spring. I found last year that a small change in front spring wire diameter on the 4CV made a huge difference.

Of course, a good spring works would maybe have some other wire diameters in the range you want.

Interesting.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroėn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That will make quite a range of spring rates. If I recall my advice from Phil in Q'ld, the torsional property is proportional to the fourth power of diameter. So the 12.75 mm spring would be 74% stiffer than the 11.1 mm spring. I found last year that a small change in front spring wire diameter on the 4CV made a huge difference.

Of course, a good spring works would maybe have some other wire diameters in the range you want.

Interesting.
    To make my agenda apparent:

As you know, I am an enthusiast for transverse leaf spring camber compensators on these vehicles. My 4CVG has standard R10 springs with one turn removed. This gives me 3-3.5° of -ve camber & very little residual travel in bump. The CC spring's function as an auxiliary spring in bump is a quite useful side benefit in this respect.

Removing one turn increased the spring rate & thus rear roll stiffness. Not what I wanted but I've gained more from the lower CG & -ve than I've lost from changing the roll stiffness front-rear balance in the wrong direction for these cars.

The R8 also has a CC but with standard R10 springs. Even with the shortest springs from my collection, it has only 1-1.5° -ve. As the CC is acting as an auxiliary spring, the rear isn't sagging into as much-ve as I'd like. I could go down the same path as the 4CVG & lop an R10 spring but I wanted to have more ground clearance on the R8 (my "daily driver") than I have on the very low 4CVG. I'd also like to lower the main spring's rate compared to the R10 as a little experiment.

So, my thinking is to use the thinnest wire Dauphine ones & lop to standard R10 height. They should still have a lower rate giving me two advantages. First, the rear roll stiffness will be lower & second, they'll sag more into -ve (I'd like about 2.5°). Having the CC perform more of the "bump" springing function should, by lowering rear roll stiffness, improve the (already good) rear end behaviour in brisk "C"-road work without resorting to the greater -ve camber of the lower 4CVG.

All good clean fun!

So, if I can't scout up some 11.1 Aerostable Dauphine Normale springs here in the South Island of Australia, then I'll be trawling on A.F. for some from the North Island.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 31st August 2014 at 01:08 AM.
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hmm! no luck so far in down under Down Under. So, a general bulletin:

Does anyone have (& be willing to sell me) a pair of these:

I don't care how tired & sagged they are; indeed, for my purposes, I'd prefer them that way. Crucial is the wire diameter.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Problem solved.

Thanks to Simon for providing the specs & to Hans for matching the specs to a set of springs he had & selling them to me.

Another fine manifestation of the joys of Frogger fellowship!

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Can do better...

I have a pair of the aerostable bellows thingies that look to be in good nick.

Yours for the asking.

P
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Can do better...

I have a pair of the aerostable bellows thingies that look to be in good nick.

Yours for the asking.

P
    I appreciate the offer but my interest in the springs is connected with the rear of my R8, not a Dauphine (see above post). I don't have a use for the air bags & they're better kept for someone with a Dauphine or D-G with ones which are buggered.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information