Rear Fog Light Indicator Glowing with Brakes and Turn Indicators. All models?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fordman
  • 1 Post By jo proffi

Thread: Rear Fog Light Indicator Glowing with Brakes and Turn Indicators. All models?

Default Rear Fog Light Indicator Glowing with Brakes and Turn Indicators. All models?

Had this developing on the Scenic for some time, and it turned out to be an easy fix.

The Rear Fog Light indicator on the instrument panel (white lamp icon), was randomly glowing from time to time, wife finally pressured me into looking at it. Pinned it down to glowing/flashing when brake lights or turn indicators were used. Immediate thought was bad earth, but where? However, a quick google showed this to be very common on most Renault models in Europe.

Advertisement

The bad earth is commonly in the rear light assembly connection, where the six pin plug at the end of the harness plugs in. Very easily accessed in the Scenic from the boot area, no tools required. Removed the back of the light assembly which contains all the rear bulbs in one circuit board. Removed the plug connector (squeeze tab with pliers to remove). On the male earth pin in the circuit board (at one end of the six pins) I found a small build-up of hard "carbon" which I chipped off with a jeweller's screwdriver. This build up was like a grain of sand about 0.5 mm dia only. Then I was able to use a very small jeweller's screwdriver to insert behind the spring connectors in the female wiring plug half and bend them all a little to increase the tension in the connections. A little WD-40 for good measure, and re-assembled. Repeated both sides. Problem fixed.

I did find a mention of a similar bad earth on this AF forum, but not related to the Rear Fog indicator, and as I am guessing that this is probably a fairly common symptom, thought I would post it separately.

Cheers
    Kenfuego likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Automotive wiring has been the source of most electrical problems since knee trembling ignition. The Detroit Series 60 electronic diesel engines were a revolution when they were introduced. Sadly, early trucks powered by these engines initially suffered breakdowns and limp home modes in significant numbers. After the wiring looms were reduced to a minimum along along with their connectors most of the problems were eliminated permanently. Any joint is a significant compromise in an electrical system.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I noticed on my scenic a stack of Aux earth connectors screwed into the body, just like I've done on all my renaults.
    Hence why no troubles.
    jo
    Kim Luck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I noticed on my scenic a stack of Aux earth connectors screwed into the body, just like I've done on all my renaults.
    Hence why no troubles.
    jo
    Hi Jo,
    The common fault I mentioned above is in the connector, you could have as many earth connections as you like in the harness, the fault would remain.
    You might appreciate Jo, that my first fix was to simply remove the rear fog bulbs - not required in Perth! But then guilt set in, and I looked a bit further.

Chris.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thread Information