What model of Renault is this and what is its story? Thanks.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What model of Renault is this and what is its story? Thanks.

Tadpole

Default What model of Renault is this and what is its story? Thanks.

Renault 1939 Suit A Renault Lover FOR Restoration Classic CAR in Toowoomba, QLD | eBay

Advertisement

I trhink it's a Juvaquatre...

RENAULT Juvaquatre Dauphinoise - 1958...Oh no!

Last edited by 59 Floride; 14th August 2014 at 09:14 PM.

I agree.....and it's a bit run down.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What model of Renault is this and what is its story? Thanks.-1939-juvaquatre.jpg  
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Being a four-door car, it is a post-WW2 Juvaquatre. Production of the four door version commenced in 1946, with imports to Australia in 1947. The Juvaquatre featured a 1,003cc motor with a three on the floor gearbox, and was front engine rear drive.

It was initially introduced in France in 1937 as a two door model, and was Renault's first unitary construction car. It was based on the German Opel Kadett, which was where Louis Renault came unstuck. The Juvaquatre infringed the Ambi-Budd patents with its unitary body construction, Renault ignored approaches from Budd, thinking that any legal action in France would be unsuccessful. However the German authorities took patent infringements very seriously, with Renault then being forced to pay royalties to Budd.

In Australia the pre-WW2 version was locally assembled, the range also featuring an Australian designed two door tourer.

The Juvaquatre to find would be the one restored in the Renault Australia factory back in the 1970's, it just seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Here's one for Simon: this is also supposed to be a 39 model......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What model of Renault is this and what is its story? Thanks.-juvaquatre_1939-not-suicidal.jpg  
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

"1,000,000 Km" LOL!

With a little elbow grease it could look like this.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Default Re-listed

It failed to meet the reserve so is back again...best be quick this time.

Renault 1939 Suit A Renault Lover FOR Restoration Classic CAR in Toowoomba, QLD | eBay

Anyone got some shed/paddock space they can spare me for three years or so..?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post

I wish I could say yes but shed is full and my neighbour has already complained about my outside stuff. At my last place it would have been no bother but not here. He wants my shipping containers painted cream. I don't need the council telling me to get rid of them. Think I might have to build a wall and roof to hide them as it is. My shed is tall perhaps we could construct a frame to support it above one of my other cars? How to get it up there and then back down again in 3 years???

Fellow Frogger!

If you are really keen on this little car........I have 600 acres up in the mountains south of Gatton. There is nowhere under cover but you are welcome to store this little beauty up there for as long as you like if you decide that you'd like to buy it. I drove past the yard at Hattonvale (where the Fregate was for sale) many times, and then one day it was gone. I was so happy to see that it went to a Frogger .
    Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I wish I could say yes but shed is full and my neighbour has already complained about my outside stuff. At my last place it would have been no bother but not here. He wants my shipping containers painted cream. I don't need the council telling me to get rid of them. Think I might have to build a wall and roof to hide them as it is. My shed is tall perhaps we could construct a frame to support it above one of my other cars? How to get it up there and then back down again in 3 years???
    Quote Originally Posted by CarNut View Post
    If you are really keen on this little car........I have 600 acres up in the mountains south of Gatton. There is nowhere under cover but you are welcome to store this little beauty up there for as long as you like if you decide that you'd like to buy it. I drove past the yard at Hattonvale (where the Fregate was for sale) many times, and then one day it was gone. I was so happy to see that it went to a Frogger .
    Cheers
    Steve
    Ok thanks to you both, these are options to consider, hopefully though, someone else will want it more than myself...it looks like a lot of work.

1000+ Posts

Go on Graham there is no excuse now. Of course it a lot of work and a massive challenge. Isn't that what gets you going?
    J-man likes this.

1000+ Posts

By the way I've got a glove box workshop manual for it. Briefly covers most things. I might have a parts manual as well not sure but I'll look if you like. They have an unusual oil container on the fire wall to supply oil to the clutch throw out bearing I think. Also I have some photos of an original unrestored car that I saw in Sydney in the 1980's.

Rob, I suspect the ebay car belongs to our friend at Drayton, do you still have the photo from the 80's that was posted on AF a while ago, it seems to have been deleted?

And yes I like a challenge but one has to draw a limit somewhere doesn't one.

I wouldn't like to see this one go to the crusher. Someone please step in and save the car (and me).

Fellow Frogger!

Wow.....lol.....if it belongs to the friend at Drayton that I'M thinking about, it's stashed behind 100 tonnes of other stuff and will take 12 months of sundays to extract, lol ..........
    Last edited by CarNut; 24th August 2014 at 02:22 PM.

1000+ Posts

Yes still have photos somewhere I'll look tonight. I do have a parts manual. I also have a couple of 12m X 3m top quality tarps to cover it if you want them. I am not sure if it is our friend or not. If you want company we could go up and have a look. I could meet you on the highway. Promise not to encourage you.

Found!

Rob I found this in your photo bucket and have deduced from the bonnet and grille damage that it is indeed the Drayton car.

It looks like it has been a long time since it has had any fenders attached so whoever gets it will need an English wheel or a skilled friend.

Is that a 4CV parked along side..?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What model of Renault is this and what is its story? Thanks.-drayton.jpg   What model of Renault is this and what is its story? Thanks.-drayton-2.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 24th August 2014 at 04:27 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

What year would that first photo have been taken?

1000+ Posts

Probably mid to late 1980's.

Fellow Frogger!

Hmmm. That looks like a 1964 Toyota Crown Custom Wagon behind it in the first photo. If the photo was taken at the right hand end of the yard, that Crown Wagon hasn't moved, lol. It's a little closer to mother earth now, with a tree growing up through the mudguard.

IT STILL DIDN'T MEET THE RESERVE, DOESN'T ANYONE WANT IT, IT WILL END UP AT THE SCRAP DEALER AT THIS RATE.

1000+ Posts

IT STILL DIDN'T MEET THE RESERVE, DOESN'T ANYONE WANT IT, IT WILL END UP AT THE SCRAP DEALER AT THIS RATE.
    No it won't it'll still be there in ten years time just less of it. It will slowly disappear back into the soil. Have you looked at it? What is the reserve? Surely they cannot expect more than $200. My guess would be there are no floors or chassis. I think it is already a lost cause. Mind you English wheelers are not that expensive now.
    CarNut likes this.

Of course I'd like it but haven't a hope of going up to Toowoomba even for a look let alone a retrieval and then finding somewhere to store it. I'm just too busy at the moment to contemplate it. That said, I reckon it would be a long, long time before one of these came up for grabs again and is an opportunity not to be missed...for someone else.

Yes I agree the chassis and floor would be stuffed, not that that wouldn't put me off if my circumstances were different.

So lets not let it go to the crusher people..

1000+ Posts

Its been there for at least thirty years. In fact about 1985 or there about a mate (the one that bought your Fregate off me) and I offered $500 for it and that is almost thirty years ago and that was a lot of money then for a car that needed a full restoration. There was a drivable roadworthy one in Sydney at that time for $1200. I took a number of photos of it.

Here's a suggestion for the lucky bidder..

AS3models ? Afficher le sujet - #8 : Renault Juvaquatre pick up

Here's a suggestion for the lucky bidder..

AS3models ? Afficher le sujet - #8 : Renault Juvaquatre pick up

Very cool MG!
    cheers,

John

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information