Renault 15/16 waterpump pulley
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault 15/16 waterpump pulley

I have a 15 TS which has an unserviceable waterpump.

I purchased a brand new "bugatti" brand waterpump for the same engine but it is for a 16.

The pump is identical in every regard except the plate that the pulley attaches to.

The old original one has a smaller somewhat triangulated plate with 3 holes.

The new one has a larger plate, also with 3 holes but they are spaced wider apart.

The pulley appears to be fitted over the the plate with the groove closer to the pump itself than the plate.

The problem is the existing pulley will not fit over the larger plate and the holes are in the wrong position as well.

Advertisement

Will a 16 pulley be a suitable replacement for the original or will I have to engineer (cut and redrill the holes)
    the new one to fit?

just get the old flange pressed of the original water pump & pressed onto the new water pump, just make shore that the flange is the same place on the new pump.

Fellow Frogger!

That's right, the flange will press off. Where did you get a 16 water pump from? I had trouble finding one not long ago.

1000+ Posts

An R16 pulley is not suitable.

If you don't have a press an alternative is to cut some off the existing flange so the R15 pulley fits. Put the pulley over it and drill new holes to suit. Tap a thread into the new holes.

Note the R15 pump has two pulleys and an R16 only one. Usually the shaft for an R16 pump does not stick as far through the flange. This means lining up the 2 pulleys can be a problem. So if you are pressing the flange off make sure the shaft sticks through about 1mm further than for the R16 or the same distance as does the shaft on the R15.
    Last edited by Sunroof; 14th August 2014 at 02:28 PM.

Make sure there is the same protrusion from the block from two perspectives..... Radiator clearance, and belt alignment.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Make sure there is the same protrusion from the block from two perspectives..... Radiator clearance, and belt alignment.

Jo
    No radiator at that end of an R15/17.The pump is near the battery at the fire wall end. On the ones I have done pulley alignment isn't a problem. The pumps have been identical except for the flange and its location on the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    No radiator at that end of an R15/17.The pump is near the battery at the fire wall end. On the ones I have done pulley alignment isn't a problem. The pumps have been identical except for the flange and its location on the shaft.
    Oops, just assumed it was at the front.
    Its been way too long since I owned a 70's renault.

Jo

Thanks for the advice.
    Swapping the flanges was my first thought but the pump vendor recommended NOT to try it and maybe use a 16 pulley hence my seeking a second opinion from the wise.

Anyway got the two flanges off with a gear puller.
    Took the pump to a classic car clinic who warned of the dangers of this approach.
    Easy to damage pump putting one back on.

He was very mindful of all dimensions and thicknesses etc especially as it was not a renault pump but rather a bugatti item. He concluded they were identical and shortly thereafter ,for a few beers(well 48 actually) I now have a brand new waterpump with correct flange in the correct place ready to be fitted this weekend.

Should have joined this forum years ago...

Now, radiator hoses...

Via the aussiefrogs App

Thread Information