• 1 Post By COL
  • 3 Post By Kram
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By 4cvg

Thread: LHD R8 to RHD?

Fellow Frogger!

Default LHD R8 to RHD?

Just wondering if anyone has done a conversion and if it's simple or a major operation please?

Advertisement

TIA :-)

I've never done the conversion, but just wonder in the present day why would you want to. It's not like the days of old where there was little choice, now old LHD cars can be legally registered in most (if not all) Australian states. Why take a world market car and convert it?

Having had the old R8 in bits though, there would seem to be few limiting factors for someone either handy, or reasonably well endowed financially in doing a RHD conversion. A RHD rack bolts in, the bulkhead has most of the pressings to locate the change in brackets, the holes can be cut in the floor for pedals.

One interesting thing would be if the LHD wiper sweep of both the original LHD and RHD cars would please the officials. Or if the wipers would have to be changed for RHD sweep, which would make things likely more awkward. I'm guessing the battery could stay on the RHS of the boot instead of being relocated to the LHS if you were lazy. Though you would need a donor car to provide all the RHD dash, pedals, brackets etc, things like the wiring loom would just take a bit of time. Even factoring in minimal costs for own labour, time, and hassle, unless you really wanted to take such a project on, I'm guessing it would still likely be cheaper to buy the best RHD R8 around.

Keep it LHD, it will be an unusual oddity where the majority are RHD. Sort of like bringing home an export LHD FB-HG Holden.
    addo, Kim Luck, J-man and 1 others like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

COL

I would keep it left hand drive for the reason explained by Simon and also save yourself a bucket load of money and time which could be spent on enjoying the car.
    J-man likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    , I'm guessing it would still likely be cheaper to buy the best RHD R8 around.
    Oh and where might that be?

I very much appreciate your post but the issue is that my dear Mum would not be the perfect passenger for sitting facing oncoming traffic.

I am searching the world on and off for a decent R8 and there are certainly more LHD around than RHD ones., in fact i haven't come across a RHD one! Oh tell a lie, there's a Gordini in the UK for 25,000 Pounds! Ironically the very same website has a LHD R8 Major for 2,000 Pounds! I don't want to sound like a tightass but i ain't paying $45,000 for an R8, Gordini or no.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C456859

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C473037

Maybe I am looking in all the wrong places.
    Last edited by Kram; 8th August 2014 at 12:14 AM.

1000+ Posts

Hmm! Australia is not a bad option (but no, mine is not for sale; much as I suspect you might enjoy it & despite its merit of having been bought new by my dear mum in 1966), as is NZ, as is South Africa. A bit depends on how quickly you have to make a purchase. Buying old cars against a tight deadline is always difficult.

Oh, & I think that Simon (a gentlemen) deserves a bit more manifest civility than your post's tone seems to display (despite its 'much appreciate').

cheers! Peter

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Oh, & I think that Simon (a gentlemen) deserves a bit more manifest civility than your post's tone seems to display (despite its 'much appreciate').
    And I "Liked" the post and you would be mistaken.

I have no idea why you think I didn't genuinely appreciate the effort he took, I did and I am always humbled when people make an effort for my things.

Due to the nature of threads which probably needs a PhD candidate to explore, tonality can be misconstrued in posts on forums I've noticed, a comment that is essentially not inflammatory may be interpreted as a just that. One man's glibness can be a another's red rag.
    I do it all the time as indeed most people!
    The best thing to do to avoid a gripe session is re read a post quietly and think about it in another context, then see if it's worth a salvo.
    Otherwise everyone gets their knickers in a knot.
    The big question Kram is why do want an R8?
    I reckon one of those Megane RSss would be a better choice : )
    they're dead sexy.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    The big question Kram is why do want an R8?
    I grew up in the back seat of them which of course means Dad owned them as well as rallied them in the 60's, it will be a gift for him.
    potentz, J-man and lozenge like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    Oh and where might that be?
    Given there were only in the order of 2-3000 R8's sold in Australia, and given the ravages of time, rust, Renault Car Club membership in the 1960's and 70's through rallies motorkhanas etc etc, granted they are not found on Carsales everyday. However, at least three 8 Gordini's have been on the open market over the last six to twelve months, as well as a few R8 Normales, there was a red one in Unique Cars going back a few months. So they do appear. You just have to be in the right place at the right time, or advertise more flamboyantly.

I very much appreciate your post but the issue is that my dear Mum would not be the perfect passenger for sitting facing oncoming traffic.
    It's an R8, there are no airbags. Besides, you are then away from being T-boned from the LHS as well. :-)

I am searching the world on and off for a decent R8 and there are certainly more LHD around than RHD ones., in fact i haven't come across a RHD one! Oh tell a lie, there's a Gordini in the UK for 25,000 Pounds! Ironically the very same website has a LHD R8 Major for 2,000 Pounds! I don't want to sound like a tightass but i ain't paying $45,000 for an R8, Gordini or no.
    It's a scary thought, but given all the recent sales both in AUS and OS, the market seems to be saying that 25K for an 8G is the norm. Is it a bubble market? Are classic cars in general being used as a hedge in times of low inflation? Only time will tell.

Another alternative instead of a RHD conversion which would likely require some engineer scrutiny, is buy the LHD Portugal car, as well as a good "poor roads" Aussie spec RHD R10. Then gas-axe the front and rear ends off the 10, and graft on the front and rear of the R8. It's been done a few times.

I just love what people car an "original" car!! :-)

Maybe I am looking in all the wrong places.
    I don't think so, it is just a matter of time. The right car will come along when you least expect it.
    Kram likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Simon is spot on I reckon.

Phil in SA knows where there is a stash of cars in the Adelaide Hills, so maybe he'll PM you......

I think "Normale" R8s may be rarer than Gordinis these days. Certainly in WA I know of only two Normales registered, and mine is the only one that has been in regular use over the last 25 years or so in Perth that I'm aware of. There are at least 4-5 Gordinis that I can think of in Perth.

That said, Simon is correct in my view. They do appear from time to time in Australia, although R10s are much more often seen for sale. Push harder here and maybe join the 4CV Register and link up with the R8 owners who are members.

Certainly, if you buy a French Gazolene magazine, there are always several R8s for sale there and, if you believe the ads, some of them might be in pretty good nick. I expect UK ones will either be very rusty or much repaired. Again there is a "Classic Renault Club" in UK with a website if you google it, and you might have some luck contacting them. Rust free and RHD? South Africa and Oz would be about it I imagine.

Personally, I'd avoid the conversion LHD-RHD like the plague - bound to be fiddly stuff not anticipated. Although I'm open for correction, I'm not sure the R8s sold as RHD had a wiper conversion to favour the RH driver at all. They definitely didn't change the demister, which is much faster to get going on the passenger side than the driver's side!

Best of luck with it.
    Last edited by JohnW; 8th August 2014 at 08:45 PM.
    Kram likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

From memory the Australian R8, R10, R12 and R16's all had wipers as originally set up for LHD. They were not changed for RHD.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    From memory the Australian R8, R10, R12 and R16's all had wipers as originally set up for LHD. They were not changed for RHD.
    This may of been so for the very first of the R12's but I know from at least 1972 they were set up for right hand drive. They put rubber bungs in the holes where the left hand drive set up went.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

And I "Liked" the post and you would be mistaken.

I have no idea why you think I didn't genuinely appreciate the effort he took, I did and I am always humbled when people make an effort for my things.
    ok, fine; I accept that I misconstrued things (despite having a Ph.D.!) & don't think that an exercise in textual analysis to show why I had the hypothesis I did is profitable at this stage. Anyway, Simon doesn't seem to have been offended.

Back to the hunt.
    A local guy here in Tasmania is doing a meticulous restoration of an R8 ( including using some bits I've donated). I'm not sure what his plans are for it when he's finished but he seems to like doing them up more than driving them. If you like, I'll sound him out. It might be finished by the end of the year but whenever it is, it'd be worth waiting for were he to be willing to sell it..

cheers! Peter
    Kram likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Lovely guys, again I want to make it clear I very much appreciate the time you take to offer me your opinions and tips.

I have just had a minor set back if one comes up for sale now, I can't leave the country for 20 days as the Police have arrested me for writing anti-commie truths on the net and I'm being shot dead everyday. Twice and electrocution on the scrotum to revive me.

Or maybe ...

I forgot my next years work visa was due now and I handed my passport in Wednesday and for some reason this year it takes 20 working days. Every previous year it has taken 8 to 10 straight days and some times as little as 5 or 6 days so now it looks like I might lose almost a month every year of O/S travel ability. Most likely they will change it back after a few complaints over the next few months, they are good like that.

Anyway, it's one of the 2.
    Last edited by Kram; 9th August 2014 at 02:16 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post

I don't think so, it is just a matter of time. The right car will come along when you least expect it.
    Historically "the right car" coming along coincides with the bank account being at a 3 yearly low doesn't it?

when he's finished but he seems to like doing them up more than driving them. If you like, I'll sound him out.
    Thank you Peter, yes, am interested and the timing isn't an issue.

I'm the same actually, the next one is more exciting - I get to 90% completion, usually rush the last 10% so I can get rid of it and start on the next project.
    Last edited by Kram; 9th August 2014 at 02:15 AM.

ok, fine; I accept that I misconstrued things (despite having a Ph.D.!) & don't think that an exercise in textual analysis to show why I had the hypothesis I did is profitable at this stage. Anyway, Simon doesn't seem to have been offended.

Back to the hunt.
    A local guy here in Tasmania is doing a meticulous restoration of an R8 ( including using some bits I've donated). I'm not sure what his plans are for it when he's finished but he seems to like doing them up more than driving them. If you like, I'll sound him out. It might be finished by the end of the year but whenever it is, it'd be worth waiting for were he to be willing to sell it..

cheers! Peter
    I wonder whether that is the R8 guy in Tassie to whom I donated a set of callipers etc a couple of years ago.

There are a few R8s emerging it seems, with the R1130 being restored in Melbourne.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information