• Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By CarNut
  • 1 Post By bazzamac

Thread: Renault R8 956cc gaskets

Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault R8 956cc gaskets

Just wondering if anyone has bought, or can shed any light on, the gaskets advertised by "Vanguard_wholesalers" on eBay?

Renault 4 1963 64 R8 TOP Gasket SET NEW OLD Stock | eBay

His ad states that the gaskets are for 1963-64 R4s and R8s, but my wheels magazines from the era are telling me that they had different bores. The gaskets are certainly cheap enough.......but they aren't cheap if they turn out to be no good to me.

Advertisement

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by CarNut View Post
    His ad states that the gaskets are for 1963-64 R4s and R8s, but my wheels magazines from the era are telling me that they had different bores.
    Not only a different bore dimension, but the R4 and R8 have totally different engines.

Best to get the vendor to send you a pic of the label on the packaging to confirm the description.

Also, from the useless info file, the early Standard Vanguard is another RHD car with a Fregate-like right hand column shift.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Not only a different bore dimension, but the R4 and R8 have totally different engines.

Best to get the vendor to send you a pic of the label on the packaging to confirm the description.

Also, from the useless info file, the early Standard Vanguard is another RHD car with a Fregate-like right hand column shift.
    Thanks Simon. I'll do that.......

Column shift on the right hand side?? Wow, that's different. I imagine it would take a bit of getting used to. I can understand a Renault having the change on the right side, but Vanguard is a pommy chariot, so that's interesting.

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by CarNut View Post
    Thanks Simon. I'll do that.......

Column shift on the right hand side?? Wow, that's different. I imagine it would take a bit of getting used to. I can understand a Renault having the change on the right side, but Vanguard is a pommy chariot, so that's interesting.

Cheers
    Steve
    It'll take some getting used to alright.

If the gasket set is as old as it looks all the cork gaskets will have shrunk and will need to be soaked in water to re-hydrate and swell them back to original size.

Fellow Frogger!

So water will do the trick? Excellent. The problem with gaskets for old cars is that you never know how long they've been sitting around for. That set does look like it's been around a while...........

If there are any rubber o-rings in gasket kits, I generally give them a good look over before using them. Anything sus goes in the bin as o-rings are easy enough to find in the correct size and it saves getting leaks over newly painted surfaces etc, not to mention the extra effort needed to change them again. A stitch in time saves nine.

Cheers
    Steve

1000+ Posts

Default Another useless info file :)

--
    Hi
    The old cars had character, and the boring uniformity of today had not set in
    In the same theme a Riley Pathfinder of the mid '50s had the gear lever on the floor on the right. You could seat three in the front and no accusations of gropeing

"In the front, buyers could choose between two single seats and the optional full width bench seat, with the front corner of the seat squab contoured so as to accommodate the gear lever and allow seating for three. -----The gear lever was floor mounted by the driver's door, so drivers in right hand drive markets had to change gear with their right hand."

jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

I agree, Jaahn, the old cars do have more character. They certainly don't build 'em like they used to, and that's a good thing for lots of reasons . One of my mates once asked me if I thought old cars were better than new cars. He expected me to answer that yes, old cars ARE better than new cars. But what I told him was that, by evolution, cars built today are better than old cars. The metallurgy is more advanced. Manufacturing tolerances are smaller. This has led to cars that are going alot further than cars of yesterday before they need completely rebuilding, although that also has alot to do with the fact the our fuels are alot cleaner and our roads are generally alot better. There are more sealed roads than ever before.
    Then, of course, new cars are also fitted with ABS and traction control, airbags, seatbelts, crumple zones.......the list of safety features in new cars is almost endless compared to the 60's, when a thin piece of foam and vinyl over the top of a steel dash board was considered to be a safety feature.
    Having said all that, I do prefer to drive an old car. Yes, for me, they have bags more character. They're fun and interesting to drive as long as their not expected to perform at a level commensurate with a new car. They can also be a statement of individuality and you could even argue that they're more "green" than a hybrid because owning one and restoring one to use is a form of recycling. Hybrids are a wonderful thing in their own right. They have all the advantages that a modern car has. But, if you can live without the mod cons, a vintage Renault could be cheaper to drive. At least when a vintage Renault gets a bit crook and develops a cough or a splutter, at least it'll usually give you more warning than a "modern" car which will often just STOP, or perhaps not even start at all, even though it was running perfectly the last time you used it. When a vintage Renault stops, there's a fair chance that you (or a mechanically minded mate) can get it going again without the need to plug it into a computer to diagnose the issue.
    For me, old cars are a link to a time when the word seemed to turn a bit slower and our worries were perhaps fewer. A reminder of a time when the litres clicked over faster than the dollars at the servo. Phone calls were 10c at the local payphone, which was on nearly every corner. Your mail got delivered ON TIME, no dramas. You rang the bank and spoke to someone who worked IN THE BANK. You rang Telecom and spoke to someone who WORKED FOR TELECOM. I remember going to school in the early to mid-70's and half the kids at my school didn't even wear shoes to school. It was more dangerous playing on the jungle gym than it was to walk home from school alone. Every kid got a little bottle of milk and our school bell was a REAL BELL, lol. We read stories about Dick and Dora and it was ok that Noddy slept with Big Ears because there was nothing wrong with it. We bought packets of fags at the tuckshop and my sister got a golliwog for christmas one year.
    I dunno what happened to the world, lol.........

Cheers
    Steve
    Sunroof, Melc, bluey504 and 1 others like this.

Fellow Frogger!

In my student days long ago, I did have a 1949 black jelly bean Vanguard and it had the column shift on the right hand side. If you were not careful and the vent window was open, you would end up with skinned knuckles changing gears. Handling was awful being very top heavy. Went with a mate and a couple of girls to the Horsham drive in to see the Beatles film "Help" and the exhaust manifold broke just as we got there. The louder than usual Ferguson tractor motor then caused a bit of a stir when looking for a park!
    Sunroof likes this.

Thread Information