Scenic RX4 noisy lifters
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Scenic RX4 noisy lifters

Greetings,

Got an RX4 with apparently noisy lifters, or very unusually noisy injector clatter.

its only got about 90k on it, which, with an electronic odo I assume is correct.

I have heard noisy lifters before, but on a 16v its usually just one or two that are noisy. It sounds like in this case that all of them are rattly.

Can anyone please give me an insight into what this din is likely to be. ??

I may try an oil flush with some thinner oil, but worried that it may be beyond that, or perhaps a problem with another device that controls valve timing??

I am not that familiar with this engine..so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Lol

Does it get noisier as the engine warms up?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

It could be the dephaser pulley. When they wear they're noisy but normally at start up and then quieten down.
    The recommended oil for the F4R is already pretty thin (I think 10W-40 or 5W - 40), personally I wouldn't be going any thinner.
    Have you tried an oil flush and new filter in case there is some crud blocking the oilways.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

Dephaser pulley is on the cam belt end of the engine ,should be obvious if the noise is coming from that end only ,try the correct oil and maybe some lifter ease ,make sure you do some research before removeing the rocker cover as the cam shaft runs direct in the cover ,no bearing caps on the cam shaft ,so once the cover is off you have a can of worms ,hot just a matter of slipping the cover off and haveing a look, pugs

Fellow Frogger!

definately not from the pulley/cambelt end..but moreso widespread under the cam cover..

Thanks for the info on the rocker cover..would have pulled it off without regard..yes i think i nee to research the design first..it may well be one of the main oilway feeds that is indeed blocked..

Thread Information