• 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh
  • 1 Post By cav91
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By HONG KONG PUGGY

Thread: Another overpriced renault for sale

Default Another overpriced renault for sale

No quite in the same league as our friend in Melbourne with the 9 grand R12 but 8 grand for an RX4??

2003 Renault Scenic Wagon | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Brisbane South West - Forest Lake | 1050844794

Way over book value for a basic spec RX4.

I am constantly amazed at people that advertise cars for sale at top dollar (and more) and then put up a handful of photos and virtually no description (just 9 words for this one apart from the specifications).
    I mean, there are no photos of the interior, boot, engine bay, wheels/tyres, compliance plate, odometer, etc. Just a few photos of the back, side and a bit of the front.
    Most car ad descriptions are bullshit but at least make an effort.

It might be a nice car but there's nothing in the ad to get one's juices flowing and NO RX4's are worth 8 bills.
    Maybe 4 - 5 bills if it's been well maintained and a very good example.

Been on Gumtree since at least the beginning of July, probably still be there this time next year.

Maybe I'm being unkind and it's one of our fellow froggers but if you want to sell a car privately the vendor should at least make some effort. Hell, your phone's not going to be running off the hook if you're trying to sell a Renault (unless it's a Alpine, Gordini, etc.).

Advertisement

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Banned

probably just put the decimal point in the wrong spot.

Maybe the seller is one of those whingers who in the past have complained here that renaults need to have a greater re-sale value and that we are selling ourselves short by offering them to the market at low prices.

Unlike our R12 friend, I believe it is the buyer who decides the sale price, not some delusional seller.

Jo
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.

You cannot fault this logic Jo! Five people call them with a low price and see if they alter their price!

I think your being a little harsh. Yes its at the top end of the price range but it has only done 83,000km. Car yards still ask that much for them in that condition, you'll probably find that's it's insurance value too. Just because we wouldn't pay that doesn't mean someone looking for a low km good cond small 4x4 wouldn't. I agree they need to be a bit flexible with there price but if you don't ask you don't get.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Bathurst______2 57.22 Sandown_______1 35.29
    Mallala_______1 22.90 Phillip Island____1 56.41
    Winton_______1.43.90 Collingrove_______38.08
    The Bend_____2 21.96

https://www.facebook.com/FrogstompRacing/

http://www.harlandeng.com.au

That one was originally 25 grand! Must be a motivated seller

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I think your being a little harsh. Yes its at the top end of the price range but it has only done 83,000km. Car yards still ask that much for them in that condition, you'll probably find that's it's insurance value too. Just because we wouldn't pay that doesn't mean someone looking for a low km good cond small 4x4 wouldn't. I agree they need to be a bit flexible with there price but if you don't ask you don't get.
    A good point. We bought our beloved R8 at 8 years old and $1100 in 1973, way over the price you'd have paid for a secondhand R8, and not even an 1100. But it was one owner, truly immaculate and worth every cent. We still have it. Excellent value. Whilst sellers can be optimistic and, yes, buyers set the price (I know, having just sold our BX wagon.....) the right car and the right buyer can command a price way over the "normal" range, and still not be unreasonable. The 83,000 km means quite a bit in "remaining life" of the vehicle.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    I am constantly amazed at people that advertise cars for sale at top dollar (and more) and then put up a handful of photos and virtually no description (just 9 words for this one apart from the specifications).
    I mean, there are no photos of the interior, boot, engine bay, wheels/tyres, compliance plate, odometer, etc. Just a few photos of the back, side and a bit of the front.
    Ren
    But from the photo, I can see a missing tyre cover and the filthy big crack in the tailgate...

Hardly what you'd expect for the price.

Jo

The basic spec RX4 didn't have a spare tyre cover (and had cloth seats, no climate control, etc).
    He says it a Privilege but we don't know the spec on this one because the seller didn't post any photos of the interior and if it is a privilege it should have the wheel cover (and shouldn't the back window open on the RX4 privilege same as the 2WD. there don't appear to be any hinges on the top of the glass)
    The crack in the tailgate would be a pain, good plastic welding is not easy (or cheap).

Sure there might be someone out there prepared to pay 8 grand when other low mileage Scenic's are going for less than 5 grand (with rego and warranty) but unless theres a bag full of money in the boot I don't think he'll be getting any calls.
    We all know when you're selling you start off high and come down if you don't get any response but 60% - 100% above market isn't going to do it. This is now unregisted so you'd think the seller would be keen to get rid of it and the buyer would be up for a RWC and rego on top of the purchase price.

Nice colour though, I think the Scenics look good in the dark colours or white.

Cheers
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

The back window is a separate entity on an RX4. It opens upwards on the first push of the release button with concealed hinges and gas struts. The main door opens to the side.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Maybe hes in love with it and the misus wants it gone ,so he advertises it for ,that price so no,one is interested ,8 grand is what they need for there u.s.holiday ,or flat screen tv ,spose if someone douse a search for a 4by 4 under 8 grand ,and this comes up ,maybe its something they hadnt considered ,but you would think they would compare prices ,its always mystified me what people put on things ,realistically, pugs

That's extremly low Ks for a Scenic of any year from the Rx4 stable.
    I am going to say, it is likely a Privilege and those wheels never were an option only a std feature of the Privilege. The Expression had the 6 spoke mag with the thinner spokes as an option over the steel wheels.
    No wheel cover is not uncommon as many of them, min e included broke where the bolt goes through the plate in the wheel cover. It holds the weight of the wheel cover and is fragile as ever. Easily strengthened with epoxy as I did on mine and it even survived the rear hit the car took, which broke the tyre cover off the stronger mount
    I wonder if it is a one owner as that would be the original 2003 rego plate.
    Those rear doors need to be returned to Renault with a jam up designers butt sticker....Whoever he was, he sucks.....
    If anyone was keen, which it doesn't look like, I reckon 5500-6000 would buy it.
    For that money, if it has been looked after it would be a great little car.
    The 2003 model, from what I have been told(Renault themselves) have the better gearbox which is not prone to problems? Whether this is true, I have no way to prove.

EDIT>...........It may also have twin sunroofs as it has the Privilege roof racks.
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 11th August 2014 at 11:29 PM. Reason: more info
    Kim Luck likes this.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

It might be a Privelege, it might have twin sunroofs, it might have leather interior, might, might, might. The seller needs to show us that this is what he says. Roof racks and wheels are just bolt on and could have been added by the dealer or after sale (not saying they were but we don’t know). The wheel cover might have broken but when you’re asking 50% above other examples you should have the complete vehicle. Also, as you all know a 2003 rego doesn’t mean 2003 build date or necessarily 2003 compliance. My Scenic has a August 2003 compliance but a October 2002 build date. The Scenics weren’t actually flying out of the showrooms back in 2003 so the build could be much earlier. If there is an issue with the early gearboxes and 2003 is the cut-off then this is important. The VIN could clear that up but it’s not provided.
    What I was getting at is that at 8 grand it’s top money (and more) and one would expect and need vastly more information and more photographs to sell the thing. Four photographs and one sentence, really. Maybe it’s as previously stated, the seller is putting it out there at an absurd price to get the missus off his back but doesn’t want to part with it. A low mileage well maintained RX4 should be closer to 4 - 5 grand and as this one has no registration, warranty or even a RWC even 5 grand is a stretch but the ask is 60% above that.
    I guess I have a burr in my saddle from wasting time trawling through bad ads with minimal information and vendors still expecting to sell. If you’re advertising a high value item on-line you have to put it all out there. It’s not as if you pay by the word or number of photographs in Gumtree. Less is definately not more when you're selling a car (unless you want to hide something).

Cheers
    Ren

Thread Information