Scenic Rx-4 Fuel usage display
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HONG KONG PUGGY
  • 1 Post By dalderton
  • 1 Post By jo proffi

Thread: Scenic Rx-4 Fuel usage display

  1. #1
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,756

    Default Scenic Rx-4 Fuel usage display

    Jo, I remember seeing something from you a while back saying your fuel remaining/km left was faulty and not showing anything except _ _ _ _ .
    I just found a thread on UK Renault forums.
    Here's the main bit you'll be interested in

    You need to do a dash reset which can be done as follows.

    1. Push and hold in the button for the onboard computer
    2. Switch ignition on with card/key. Release computer button.
    3. You should then see the instuments on the dash going through a test. Speedo moving etc.
    4. You then need to push the other trip reset button that is on the dash.
    5. Switch ignition off.
    6. Switch ignition back on and scroll through to the miles left. It should now be reading ok.

    There's a second one if the first doesn't work.

    Locate fuse for display (check fusebox lid for pic. showing a dashboard - looked like an old tapedeck radio on mine)

    On my car it was the 4th fuse from the bottom on the left hand row. (3 rows of fuses)

    If you can find it, pull it out, put your sidelights on, then put it back in.

    Not sure if the sidelights bit is required on your car....better safe than sorry I suppose.

    Advertisement


    Should you not solve it by restting the dashboard, keep us updated if you figure out what's happened, I'd personally be very interested to know what it was, if not the dash needing reset.
    Fordman likes this.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,415

    Default

    Thanks hkp
    jo

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,756

    Default

    It worked here Jo.
    Wonder if the fuel low light will now work again. I think I would have been close to chugg chugg a few times lately only keeping an eye on the kms traveled after I put fuel in
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,415

    Default

    Sorry, HKP
    Have not looked at the RX4 for a few month.
    It has been taken off the road for a while and is all packed up in a little box with a whole stack of crap in front of its door.

    jo

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mandurama
    Posts
    251

    Default

    HKP My Scenic had stopped retaining the fuel use and trip mileage and only the overall mileage was retained so I thought that I would give your tip a go. went through the sequence and all is well again. Many thanks for the tip.
    Incidentally on the price of Scenics, I got my 2001 2wd Dynamique with 81000 km in excellent condition with only an air compressor to buy and a cam belt to fit (I do this to s/h vehicle full stop) and I paid $3000 for it. Excellent vehicle.
    Regards Dennis
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalderton View Post
    HKP My Scenic had stopped retaining the fuel use and trip mileage and only the overall mileage was retained so I thought that I would give your tip a go. went through the sequence and all is well again. Many thanks for the tip.
    Incidentally on the price of Scenics, I got my 2001 2wd Dynamique with 81000 km in excellent condition with only an air compressor to buy and a cam belt to fit (I do this to s/h vehicle full stop) and I paid $3000 for it. Excellent vehicle.
    Regards Dennis
    All good Dennis.
    I have to go back to the UK Renault forums and thank the guys there too, which is where I got the info.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    It worked here Jo.
    Wonder if the fuel low light will now work again. I think I would have been close to chugg chugg a few times lately only keeping an eye on the kms traveled after I put fuel in
    I reckon you have about 50+ KM with the light on.

    Be a man.... Dont fill up tlll the light glows constant.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,756

    Default

    I know from before, when the light wss working that it is set at 60km for the light. Have driven wih it going. I've got a 5 litre fuel can I will fil, when I am brave enoygh to test the light.
    My usage meter stopped after I swapped the original pump out for a s/h one and I just assumed the one I used was faulty in thst respect or I had done something. I was surprised to find it wasn't that.

    Sent from my SGP311 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,415

    Default

    Just did a dash reset and all is back to normal.
    Belated thank you HKP for the tip.

    It is still as inaccurate as ever (normal) but at least now there is a number to be seen rather than a series of dashes/lines.


    Jo

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Horsham, Vic
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Hi everyone,
    Slightly related (but mostly not), just wondering if anyone might have a clue as to the bemusing issue afflicting my RX4. In recent weeks it's developed a nasty habit that manifests itself seemingly only on hot days (so it might have been around a while but it's been too cold). The car tootles along for 30 km or so at 100 kph but then looses a bit of oomph and drops a few kph before picking back up again a couple of seconds later, this keeps going and gradually getting worse so it'll only speed up to 90, 80, 70.... until it's only able to struggle a few metres before it loses power again and does the odd stall. The first time it happened, I had to get it towed and the mechanic put it on the computer to see if anything showed up which it didn't and it behaved perfectly when he test drove it a few times. It seemed ok for a couple of weeks (which had milder weather) and I assumed it was some dud fuel (replaced the fuel filter just in case). A new lot of fuel and it's back with a vengeance with the hot weather but drives like a dream on cool days.
    Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? I'm guessing it's a sensor but not sure which one (IAT/MAP/02)? Any advice to help narrow it down would be very much appreciated.

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,415

    Default

    The bit about doing it when hot does lend itself to coil issues.

    My car last week had some water in one of the spark plug holes. No4.

    Went great for about 25km and then started behaving as you'd expect a car with water in its bung hole to behave. Went fine before that though.
    Light throttle was Ok but give it a poke and it would fall over.
    This went on for about 5 days untill I pulled my finger out and opened the bonnet.

    It is a simple job to check you plug holes for water, and a cheap fix if it is the problem.

    Jo
    Fwaygo likes this.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Horsham, Vic
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Thanks Jo. I should have mentioned that the sparks were replaced when the problem first appeared and it hasn't rained in the Wimmera for about three months.

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,756

    Default

    I got nothing for that one sorry. Have never had that issue.
    Find someone/mechanic who you trust and have the OBD codes checked again, it will be logged if there's an issue.
    I've got a simple OBD reader I got from EBay for a few dollars and it gives the code for problems, simply look up on the net for related problem as the codes are universal.
    Mine logged gearbox overheating when mine blew a driveshaft seal and dropped its load a few years back.
    With the coil isue, water can get in if you've washed the car slso or splashed when filling the washer bottle.
    Do you know where the TDC sensor is? Below the air intake tubing and above the bell housing.
    Check the wiring to it, jiggle it and see how it runs.
    I thought the sensor in mine was dirty again, I went to remove it and remembered I'd read the wiring was also an issue.
    Good luck. Chris.




    Via the aussiefrogs App
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    18,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fwaygo View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Slightly related (but mostly not), just wondering if anyone might have a clue as to the bemusing issue afflicting my RX4. In recent weeks it's developed a nasty habit that manifests itself seemingly only on hot days (so it might have been around a while but it's been too cold). The car tootles along for 30 km or so at 100 kph but then looses a bit of oomph and drops a few kph before picking back up again a couple of seconds later, this keeps going and gradually getting worse so it'll only speed up to 90, 80, 70.... until it's only able to struggle a few metres before it loses power again and does the odd stall. The first time it happened, I had to get it towed and the mechanic put it on the computer to see if anything showed up which it didn't and it behaved perfectly when he test drove it a few times. It seemed ok for a couple of weeks (which had milder weather) and I assumed it was some dud fuel (replaced the fuel filter just in case). A new lot of fuel and it's back with a vengeance with the hot weather but drives like a dream on cool days.
    Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? I'm guessing it's a sensor but not sure which one (IAT/MAP/02)? Any advice to help narrow it down would be very much appreciated.
    My only RX4 affliction was a dud TDC sensor at about 9 years old. The issue you are having sounds like the car is going into limp home mode. I'm not sure this is a feature in the RX4, perhaps one of our technical guys would know, but the fact that it only occurs on hot days may indicate an unobserved overheating problem?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,415

    Default

    Could be tps too

    Jo

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,756

    Default

    It might also be the stepper motor for the idle playing up.
    Mine had an issue for a couple of months in winter of all times.
    On long trips, it would stick on a high setting virtually acting as a cruise control.


    Via the aussiefrogs App
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •