Looking for a 17TS Fuel Injector
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Looking for a 17TS Fuel Injector

Hi

I have a Renault 15TS which I'm thinking of modifying by putting on the fuel injection system of the Renault 17TS.

Does anyone know where I could get one of these systems from?

Regards

Advertisement

Alan

There are a couple of way to go the original system may be a bit troublesome. you could also use some thing like a Holden camira injected manifold the get an aftermarket ecu. The cheapest way to go would be to twin carby's on there are a few manifolds around.
    I do have a set that need to be finished machined

I recently wrecked a 17ts which apart from being terminally rusty had had a fire under the bonnet. All the fuel injection stuff is there although things like injectors, wiring, pipes are all damaged but all the main castings are ok. If your interested I can take some photos.
    Ross:

1989 Alpine GTA Twin Turbo
    1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

dav17ts

Thanks for your reply.

That's an interesting idea, using a Holden Camira fuel injection system. There should still be some around. I'll have to look into this.

Your other suggestion is quite interesting too. What kind of carburettors would you use? Twin Weber 32DIRs?

Regards

Alan

Fellow Frogger!

Default Photos of Remains

Ross

If you could send me some photos of the remains that would be great.

Thanks

Alan

You could use webers or dellorto. if you go the root of the original inj system not completely sure but the heads are different ie water jacket were the fuel pump is located Y 2 sensors at the front of the head.the fuel tank is also different but there is not a problem changing it to suit.

David

Hi Alan,
    Check out the 17ts in the for sale section. If the price is right it could be a good source of the bits you require.

Henry

1000+ Posts

You really need the head as it has a number of different sensors that are screwed and bolted into it. You need the high pressure fuel pump, also the distributor as it provided firing pulses as well as its normal function. Then of course you need the computer. While you are at it get the wiring harness as it would take a fair bit of duplicating. There are several stand alone relays. One controls the fuel pump not sure now what the other does. They have different spark plugs and the air filter is on the opposite side of the motor as the injection stuff takes up the space where the filter is on an R15. On the inner guards there are also injection items. Alan Moore has given a bit of thought to replacing carbs on 807 motors with an injection system. He might see this and comment. seems like a lot of work for not much gain. Twin side draft Webers are probably easier.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for your comments.

It seems that a twin carb set up would be easier and give similar results as far as power is concerned if at the cost of some loss of fuel economy.

I think I'll pursue the twin carbs. It'll look good under the bonnet too.

Regards

Alan

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 120L View Post
    Thanks for your comments.

It seems that a twin carb set up would be easier and give similar results as far as power is concerned if at the cost of some loss of fuel economy.

I think I'll pursue the twin carbs. It'll look good under the bonnet too.

Regards

Alan
    I think that the answer to your earlier question is twin 40DC0Es (or, maybe, 42 DCOEs) & then get a dyno guy who has Weber jets & whatnot to set it up for you.

Be meticulous about manifold to head & carby to manifold joins & eliminate steps which create vortices.

I recommend a cold air box for the air intake with a large K & N panel filter in the inlet end of the box. (I always shudder to see people just putting socks on the ram tubes which draw from a hot engine bay.)

Finally, a (not outrageously lumpy) cam to give you a better breathing top end to take advantage of that inlet flow & a better exhaust to complement it would be good (4:1 if you really want to rev it & 4:2:1 for better torque in the mid to upper range).

Mind you, that's all beginning to sound a tad expensive.

enjoy! Peter

1000+ Posts

R12 Gordini runs 2 x DCOE 45mm. However 40 or 42 DCOE are what would normally be on a 1600cc engine. Having said that I am running 45's with jetting for a R12G. The only difference is that R12G had two different carby types. the rear one having an extra air jet. A mechanic for Renault rally R16 once told me that they went better with different jetting in the rear carb but unfortunately I have since forgotten what jets he actually said were different. If you use 45's make sure you have 3 progression holes of 1mm each. I am only talking about Webers with standard R!2 or 17 cam profiles.

I have been toying with fitting an injection set up on my 807 powered 4CV. I would be trying to do this reasonably cheaply using an R17TS inlet manifold, but making some form of adapter to use later Bosch injectors of which I have a fair few. I am not even sure the manifold will clear the bonnet.

I have an old Wolf 3D computer here which would make the tuning and ignition system much easier than trying to use the original Renault system. I would be looking at only having a batch fire system on the injectors as I am not even sure if sequential injection is an option on the Wolf 3D.

Truth be told I have so many machines in pieces, house restoration to do, work etc, that fitting injection to the 4CV is well down the list of things to do, but doesn't stop me thinking about it. I think a front radiator is a more likely project on the 750 before injection.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    <snip>I am not even sure the manifold will clear the bonnet.

<snip>
    In the early stages of conceptualising the 4CVG modifications, I had similar queries in my mind about it all fitting in. It didn't come to that but I didn't at all mind the idea of propping the engine lid up a bit (though not to the extent of Abarth Fiat 500/600 beasties).

As it turned out, the main problem was avoiding masking the flow to the rearmost throat of the back DCOE; we ended of with a bespoke inlet manifold but I was ready to put a bubble/blister domed patch into the bodywork to open up breathing room.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 6th July 2014 at 02:08 AM.

Has anybody thought of using an older single injection ford ? system with the original standard manifold type manifold. We did think about doing it but I found my 17TS so that was that.
    David

Thread Information