Laguna V6 Authentique 08/2002 300,000 km plus
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Laguna V6 Authentique 08/2002 300,000 km plus

Well the low km Laguna I purchased in March 05 has just past a minor milestone as the odometer turned over 300,000 km last week. Its been in pretty constant use, but came close to being written off this last weekend on the Craigieburn Bypass. We were just to the rear of a large transport in the right lane and beside the forward trailer of a long articulated vehicle that was travelling in the left lane.

Our vehicles were all travelling at a steady 100km, except that the driver of the long articulated vehicle in the left lane encountered a slower vehicle in that lane and decided to move into our lane. I sounded the horn and flashed my lights to catch his attention, but he moved steadily into our lane and I had no alternative but to brake sharply to try and desperately back off, as if we continued to maintain speed and position the rear wheels of the trailer immediately behind the prime mover would have passed over the rear of the Laguna, and of course there was still a long trailer behind that one to contend with.

I had no alternative but to move right with most of the Laguna on the central grass verge and still braking, but carefully now and apprehensive as to any bumps or culverts. I was able to avoid a collision and control the Laguna, it seemed almost a miracle as the truck just kept coming across onto our lane, as the rear of the last trailer moved smartly past us, the passenger side wheels of our car were either completely on the grass verge or just on the very edge of the bitumen.

It was with a feeling of relief to be able to regain the lane behind his and I was pleased the Laguna had handled so well in the circumstances, shook us up a bit, and truly I wished we had fitted an in dash camera, we got the details of all vehicles, time etc and there were trucks and cars to the rear of our car, maybe some of those who would have witnessed the incident might have had in dash cameras to record the whole drama (I can only hope so.

Advertisement

In all my years of driving I have always considered articulated truck drivers as some of the most courteous and professional, but this guy was an absolute idiot. I have the feeling that the other truck drivers might have called his driving out on the CB radios, as he apparently pulled off the highway just before the static speed cameras and while we were stopped behind some highway Patrol cars, he finally caught up with us, but travelling about 90 kph.

My wife and I were just thankful we escaped without damage, very lucky in the circumstances to avoid his trailer. Might need to buy a ticket in the lottery and a dash cam! Very fortunate the road was dry and the grass was smooth and we retained control.

Regards

Ken

300,000 Km! Now there's an advert for Renault reliability. I'm interested in hearing if you have had any major dramas during these 300,000Km.

Regarding your incident on the Craigieburn Bypass, I'm glad everyone got out of it unscathed.
    There good and bad drivers in every profession. Even got drivers will make a mistake from time to time, it always pays to be a defensive driver.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

COL

Hi Ken

I'm glad you managed to escape contact with that truck.

I have one of those dash cams, and they are good for those types of situations.

300,000 Km on the Laguna and still going strong. I have only 249,000 Km on my Laguna S1
    Last edited by COL; 1st July 2014 at 10:40 AM.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad View Post
    300,000 Km! Now there's an advert for Renault reliability. I'm interested in hearing if you have had any major dramas during these 300,000Km.

Regarding your incident on the Craigieburn Bypass, I'm glad everyone got out of it unscathed.
    There good and bad drivers in every profession. Even got drivers will make a mistake from time to time, it always pays to be a defensive driver.

Renomad, I feel that as it aged it cost me less to maintain, perhaps I got used to the occasional lapse from smooth running as a coil played up, the fix is blot up the oil that leaks down into the coil cavities and have the more expensive white epoxy topped coils in the rear less accessible bank. I have had the cam covers resealed several times, with better success on the rear one, the front still seeps though and the oil and heat seems to effect the cheaper coils.

I think part of that cam box problem is a clogged up emission pressure release system balancing those internal pressures and if a cam box is slightly warped, oil is forced out in operation - every now and then I roll up some paper towel and soak up the oil that accumulates and that seems to avoid coil misfires. One day I will strip the whole system, but while its running o.k. I leave it alone.

I've replaced one fuel pump with a second hand one and also fixed the plastic hose that collapses, kinks and prevents the system venting/sucking via the fuel tank charcoal? filter.

The auto has had regular changes of fluid, but will clunk occasionally, but you learn to drive to avoid that but it is nice to drive after a fresh fluid change, it recently had a refurbished valve body fitted and ran smoothly for a while, I toy with getting hold of a good second hand transmission and stripping that down to test a theory I have, but that's also on the back burner while it runs o.k. and I can manage the quirky clunks etc.

My main annoyance was dealing with the engine thermostat that controls the fast warmup of the engine, that first failure (it fails closed) pressurised the feed hoses to the cabin heater causing one to burst (weakest link) and then rather rapid failure of the newly fitted thermostat and then a failure of its replacement, fortunately I had learned from the first incident and could get home (in the city) by running the heater at full blast and only driving short distances allowing the engine to cool etc. Touch wood the last replacement thermostat seems to be going o.k. A poor failure rate of this component would put most people off the car, especially if the overheating caused the engine to seize! I wonder if the design could be improved to allow at least partial flow of coolant when it fails or better still fail in the open position?

Most other things have been little challenges that have been worth my time in pulling things apart and finding and fixing minor things, the rear hatch opener failed, its plastic internals had slipped a cog due to the cover warping slightly, padded that so the cogs re-engaged and its worked ever since. I finally worked out how to replace the headlight globes, its a challenge, but easy now.

The cabin blower failed on the heater, but stripping it down was an easy job and lubricating the right spots saved me quite a bit of money and then finding the cause of the failure was as easy as unblocking the drain holes in the under bonnet air vents. The accumulated water eventually dripped down onto the cabin blower motor seizing it up. Finding and changing the cabin filter was a bonus in improving the operation of the motor too.

When I acquired the vehicle I paid to have the factory warranty extended for a further five years and that was one of the best things I did, because it gave me time to understand the quirky nature of early minor problems without the financial impost of fixing them or giving up on the vehicle!

At 67,184 km the harmonic balancer rubber component was failing and was replaced under warranty it made a distinctive sound and as the motor ages I keep listening for any return of that noise as that could be expensive if it failed completely. The engine is noisier than it used to be, but runs well. overall the car is comfortable and still performs, so I'm happy to keep it running.

Next big job is to convince the good lady that another Renault (forget the early occasional hiccups) should be her preference when the Laguna is retired to second car status (and I can take my time in doing some exploration of theories on it.) Almost due for another (third) belt kit change.

And Col thanks for your kind words. your Laguna series one is a delight to drive as my good lady reported when she had the opportunity to drive it in Tassie, so well maintained, you keep your cars in top condition

And yes I am glad we came out o.k. and that is the main thing! I guess I am well trained after many long years of defensive driving, and despite the aged body and mind, that training still kicks in thank goodness

Ken.

Oil leaks, rough running, collapsed plastic hoses and fuel pumps..... sounds like a Fuego!
    Thanks for the comprehensive report Ken.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

1000+ Posts

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad View Post
    Oil leaks, rough running, collapsed plastic hoses and fuel pumps..... sounds like a Fuego!
    Thanks for the comprehensive report Ken.
    but then I still love driving my Fuego too, but as I get older the Laguna is very comfortable and easy to do the absolute kilometres in comfort and quite cheaply too, and even the OEM parts are reasonable in price compared with some other makes, and both cars are over the depreciation hump!

As a second car, I could lavish some additional attention on it and wean myself off the fuego as it is better with fuel economy and you can get spare major components secondhand to refurbish and a new motor and transmission would keep it going for many years into the future. Has more available power than the Fuego and if you want to stack things into the Laguna carefully it is much like the Fuego's in their Tardis like incredible carrying capacity too, its amazing how much can be carried when we head down to Tassie to see our daughter, packed to the gunnels.

Yep I love driving both vehicles and I understand them, listen to them, and can still get the best out of both, what more can a driver want!! It tows well too without to much reduction in fuel economy (unlike the Fuego!)

Ken

Thread Information