Live in a piece of Renault Australia history!
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Live in a piece of Renault Australia history!

Default Live in a piece of Renault Australia history!

The spiritual home of the original Renault Australia at 153 George St Redfern in NSW has been redeveloped into luxury apartments. George St was the home of Renault Australia administration, training and spare parts from 1959 until the move of Renault Australia administration to West Heidelberg in Victoria in 1966, after which it was retained for spare parts, service and training for NSW. It was replaced by the purpose built Roseberry service facility in 1973.

Advertisement

153 George Street Redfern
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Live in a piece of Renault Australia history!-renault-redfern.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

No thanks.

I lived in Sydney in 1974 when I had a job at UNSW. I judged it to be a horrible hot hole & couldn't leave fast enough.

Mind you, after swearing that I'd never live that close to the equator again, I then accepted an appointment in Queensland.

Heidelberg would be better; I enjoyed my time at La Trobe.

cheers! Peter

153 George St Redfern is pleasantly close to South Dowling Street, which leads you onto the M5. From there it's plain sailing to far nicer places.

Sydney's fine if you like aggro, pollution, prolonged damp spells and people with no grasp on reality.

Fellow Frogger!

I did not know that, interesting Renault History, what I do know is that the 1954 Renault 4cv I purchased on 14th February, 1966 (date of introduction of decimal currency) and my present 1958 4cv were assembled in a factory in Belmore, which is still there as Pickles motor auctions. When in Paris some years ago, I got some pics of the Factory, and when ACC did a piece on my 4cv a couple of years ago, they asked me to drive to Belmore and took some snaps outside the factory. Thought you might be intested in this trivia, and Renault History.
    RC

Fellow Frogger!

Forgot to mention, my present 4cv came from York Motors in Sydney, in William Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The spiritual home of the original Renault Australia at 153 George St Redfern in NSW has been redeveloped into luxury apartments. George St was the home of Renault Australia administration, training and spare parts from 1959 until the move of Renault Australia administration to West Heidelberg in Victoria in 1966, after which it was retained for spare parts, service and training for NSW. It was replaced by the purpose built Roseberry service facility in 1973.

153 George Street Redfern
    Simon, where DID you pick up this one??? Many thanks as always.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    where DID you pick up this one???
    Too much time on my hands I guess.....
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by RENOSPRITE View Post
    I did not know that, interesting Renault History, what I do know is that the 1954 Renault 4cv I purchased on 14th February, 1966 (date of introduction of decimal currency) and my present 1958 4cv were assembled in a factory in Belmore, which is still there as Pickles motor auctions. When in Paris some years ago, I got some pics of the Factory, and when ACC did a piece on my 4cv a couple of years ago, they asked me to drive to Belmore and took some snaps outside the factory. Thought you might be intested in this trivia, and Renault History.
    RC
    The Belmore factory was originally constructed by Ira L & AC Berk in 1948, Berk House, the administrative offices, were located on William St. In June 1958 Renault France appointed Harden & Johnston the NSW distribution rights, then Renault had their fourth or fifth (depending on how you count them) Australian launch when Renault (Australia) commenced operations at Redfern. Renault felt they could go to the next level on a national basis with more co-ordinated servicing, training and parts availability. However, under managing director Pierre Le Godec, Renault sales decreased until Jacques Thoridnet took over as managing director and negotiated the acquisition of Continental and General in 1966. Renault sales doubled in 1967. Pierre Le Godec was moved to Canada in 1965 to oversee the construction of a Renault assembly plant.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Thread Information