R19 starter motor
  • Help

Default R19 starter motor

Hi Folks.
    The r19 I owned was sold to a friend, and I still do the servicing and maintenance on it.

It seems the coolant pipe union near the head has, over a long period of time, leaked coolant onto the starter motor, and maybe this is why it has become intermittent.

I gave it a spray of WD40 and showed my mate where to bash when he wanted to start it.

A few month have gone by, and it still goes with an ocasional bash, but this is not a permanent solution and not one his wife can be part of for when she needs to drive the car.

Advertisement

I suggested to my mate he go down to my sparky guru and see what his advice was.
    His book showed two versions of starters for the R19, and his advice to not loose this one just in case a rebuild was a last resort.

So.....is it a good policy to install a used starter on these motors, and does anyone have one (the right one???) for a r19 rt sedan???

Jo

1000+ Posts

I recently had a problem with an R19 starter. The magnets on the body had come unglued and jammed the armature. The auto electrician said can't fix it and can't get any parts only brushes. He could get a new one. I had another on a parts car. Fitted it. 4 days later it also went. Bought two more second hand ones. 1 was faulty. 4 or 5 more days the next one went. So I started to repair them as the others all had different faults. Broken plastic end that holds the brushes. Worn brushes and worn bushes. Eventually I had two good ones out of the 3. But I dumped the one with the magnets that had come unglued only to be told later that all you had to do was glue them back with heat resistant epoxy glue. The first time I changed them took 5 hours in out and in. By the finish I could do it in 30 minutes. There are two different starters, I believe that the one for the auto is larger and gives no trouble but will not fit on a manual. I also tested for faulty cables, faulty ignition switch faulty battery but it was 3 faulty starter motors each only working for a few days. There is a heat shield that protects the starter from the exhaust heat. Mine was crumpled up and I straightened it out as best I could while in place. It is not much thicker than kitchen alfoil.

thanks for that info, sunroof.

jo

1000+ Posts

Default Starter troubles !

Hi Jo
    I do not have a starter for you unfortunately

I had an auto which I converted to a manual for my daughter some years ago. Engine and transmission swap. The starter failed after quite a while. The bloody starter came out after a long job as Sunroof said the magnets had become unglued and were a bit jammed into the works. Scrap !!

So I took the other auto one off and looked at it. Totally different size, bigger I think, and a tight fit with different support brackets too. The details have gone with the memory . However with some swapping of bits and things if fitted and worked till the car was sold last year !! I do remember thinking that heat shield was important too and made sure something was still there.

My suggestion would be to "recondition" the old one. From my experience that usually means it just needs a new solonoid or if all else fails just un-crimp it and buff the copper contacts flat and clean again. Bosch ones will probably fit anyway if necessary. Check the brushes but they may be OK. Something will fit

Good luck jaahn

Ps sunroof, if I did a job often enough to reduce it from 5 hr to 0.5 hr then I think I would be doing the final flame test on the car

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post

Ps sunroof, if I did a job often enough to reduce it from 5 hr to 0.5 hr then I think I would be doing the final flame test on the car
    Dont know about that...I swapped a fuego drive shaft yesterday in about 1 hour with lots of breaks.

The first time I did the job it took half a day to get the roll pins out.

So its looking like sparky was on the money (as usual and why I call him a guru) and I should pull the starter motor out of the R19 and get my mate to drop it down to the sparky.

I had a feeling there was something funny about these starters, and thanks for the confirmation, fellas.

Jo

What year/spec of R19?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Jo

Good luck jaahn

I am pretty persistent and hate to be beaten but it was a car I had borrowed and we needed it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    What year/spec of R19?
    Not sure, but i think '93

How many valves, what capacity?

8 valve
    1.7 l

Should be similar in looks, to one of these:

Wood Auto Supplies Ltd :: STR50249
    Wood Auto Supplies Ltd :: STR54007

That will give a good amount of detail for surfing, the Valeo versions with D6RA prefix are easy and cheap to get bits for, turning up on everything from BMW bikes to French cars. Fitting the main housing back together with new brushes can try the patience at first.

You can also use the starter from a Volvo 4xx(whatever the one was that has the Laguna1 motor) and of course the Laguna1.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Wow, that looks like the easy option, Haakon.
    Thanks for that link.

Jo

But if you're buying new (or remanufactured) call Caravelle? My link was to demonstrate the cross reference, sure you could do better on price!

I got lucky with my Laguna 1 with a Volvo 440 at pickapart sporting a brand new Valeo starter - $30 thanks muchly

Mine just stopped one day and refused to respond to any amount of fiddling and bashing (push start is reverse to get home as a recall...). Never did figure out what failed given what the replacement cost me.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information