A Renault driver looks like .....
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: A Renault driver looks like .....

  1. #1
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,614

    Default A Renault driver looks like .....

    I was minding my own business doing some grocery shopping tonight when a random guy came up to me in the supermarket and said "let me guess, you drive the Renault 10, right?"
    I said "um, yes, that would be me"

    Advertisement


    Is that not a bit weird? So what does a Renault 10 owner look like? It's not like I was wearing shorts with long socks 'n sandals with a beige shirt and angora beanie or anything like that; I was still in my work uniform!
    cheers,

    John

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts schlitzaugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    loneliness capital of the world
    Posts
    9,316

    Default

    What was he wearing?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

    Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    11,301

    Default

    was that the entire conversation?
    my deduction is that he saw you alight the vehicle.

  4. #4
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,949

    Default

    Oh please tell me you weren't wearing a cardigan with elbow patches again...?
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts FIVEDOOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Qld
    Posts
    21,034

    Default

    And the beret
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,272

    Default

    A beard with shaved moustache? Definitely not a goatee with shaved head, sunnies perched on top.

  7. #7
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,949

    Default

    Tight corduroy pants and spare pair of socks perhaps.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

  8. #8
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Did you have Smoked Snails, a French Stick, a 6 pack of Yoplait and a bottle of Wynns Stop Leak in your basket?

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,614

    Default

    Schlitzy, I can't recall what he was wearing. I'm particularly good at being unobservant, unless I see something that really interests me . Alex, you're quite right; there was more to the conversation but not much. He went on to ask me a bit about it, what year it was etc. His parting comment with a chuckle was "don't worry, I drive a Saab!"
    cheers,

    John

  10. #10
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Schlitzy, I can't recall what he was wearing. I'm particularly good at being unobservant, unless I see something that really interests me . Alex, you're quite right; there was more to the conversation but not much. He went on to ask me a bit about it, what year it was etc. His parting comment with a chuckle was "don't worry, I drive a Saab!"
    So he had a box of matches and 5L of Kerosene in his Basket then....

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lavers Hill
    Posts
    321

    Default

    It might have been the way you were handling the shopping trolley - tail flicking out on corners...

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    I was minding my own business doing some grocery shopping tonight when a random guy came up to me in the supermarket and said "let me guess, you drive the Renault 10, right?"
    I said "um, yes, that would be me"

    Is that not a bit weird? So what does a Renault 10 owner look like? It's not like I was wearing shorts with long socks 'n sandals with a beige shirt and angora beanie or anything like that; I was still in my work uniform!
    You another one, who forgets they are wearing their "I love my R10" t shirt. Plus everyone in the shop heard you pull up at the door of the shop. You need to fix the muffler. So he never had to guess very hard LOL

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simca1100 View Post
    It might have been the way you were handling the shopping trolley - tail flicking out on corners...
    Don't they all do that anyway?

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! R8philSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vista SA
    Posts
    986

    Default

    So John. Does this mean you were driving CLIVE around as a daily driver ??

    And we still have to catch up for a coffee now that Sally is on the mend.

    Cheers mate
    Phil

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    So John. Does this mean you were driving CLIVE around as a daily driver ??

    And we still have to catch up for a coffee now that Sally is on the mend.

    Cheers mate
    Phil
    Hi Phil, yes I've been driving Clive to work 'n back and around the place for 2 weeks since the extractors and revised muffler went on and it's been a real blast. That is until the alternator died today and the battery ran out of steam coming home from work resulting in a trip home on a flat bed truck. He runs out of rego again this Saturday so I'll sort some more things out on him then including the alternator. I need to find someone that can balance the wheels. Bob Jane in Pultney St had the adaptor but they still had bad vibration at 100-110 km/h after they balanced them. I also should do what you've done and do a job on his calipers. They still stick every now 'n then. Good to here Sally is on the mend
    cheers,

    John

  16. #16
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,295

    Default

    What do Renault drivers look like? Like this photo in my experience...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Renault driver looks like .....-waterhouse-holiday-snaps-1.jpg  
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  17. #17
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    What do Renault drivers look like? Like this photo in my experience...
    Gold!
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger! R8philSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vista SA
    Posts
    986

    Default

    PBR brakes at Holden Hill / Gills Plains have all your caliper seals for about $20 set of 4.
    Also make the brake hoses for $37.50 each.

    Cheers

    phil

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,614

    Default

    Thanks Phil, they're a bargain aren't they.
    cheers,

    John

  20. #20
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Thanks Phil, they're a bargain aren't they.
    Can you pick me up a set if you go pls...?
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger! R8philSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vista SA
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Just finished talking with Brian H who removed the Brake pressure limiter and replaced with a tee piece. Says the brakes are fantastic and really gave them a hard work out in the rain today on the Wilunga hill just to see if they would lock up. He says they were terrific and didn't skid dangerously at any time.
    I'm going to do the same with the Caravel and the R8 as soon as I can get at it.
    Hope you are going to keep 'Clive' registered, we need to get these cars of ours together for a run sometime.

    Cheers

    phil

  22. #22
    Fellow Frogger! R8philSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vista SA
    Posts
    986

    Default

    OK Graham, I'll get you a set On Monday. I'll get an invoice and PM you with the details. Just make sure it is the square seals you have fitted.

    The guy says he has heaps of them. I'm just talking the SQUARE seals, Front 38mm and Rear 32mm?? I found my dust covers were still in good shape and I used a little graphite powder in behind them on assembly. Remember, when I tried to move my caliper pistons they were locked solid so I had to put them in a vice and use a long bolt on the back of the self adjuster bolt to push them out. On reassembly, with new seal fitted, I could push the pistons into the calipers with my thumbs. haven't been for a test drive yet but I'm expecting great things when I do. Buy the way. Don't believe the dot at the top of the piston is always in the right position with reference to the big circlip inside the caliper bore. Mine had been put in the opposite position by some bunny who obviously didn't know about the bleeding of the caliper and piston position. The break in the thick circlip inside the caliper must align with the bleed nipple at the back of the caliper otherwise you will never get the air out completely. Always tilt the caliper while fitting to ensure all the air is out, then bleed the brakes a few times as well.

    Good luck

    Phil

    Cheers
    Phil

  23. #23
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    OK Graham, I'll get you a set On Monday. I'll get an invoice and PM you with the details. Just make sure it is the square seals you have fitted.

    The guy says he has heaps of them. I'm just talking the SQUARE seals, Front 38mm and Rear 32mm?? I found my dust covers were still in good shape and I used a little graphite powder in behind them on assembly. Remember, when I tried to move my caliper pistons they were locked solid so I had to put them in a vice and use a long bolt on the back of the self adjuster bolt to push them out. On reassembly, with new seal fitted, I could push the pistons into the calipers with my thumbs. haven't been for a test drive yet but I'm expecting great things when I do. Buy the way. Don't believe the dot at the top of the piston is always in the right position with reference to the big circlip inside the caliper bore. Mine had been put in the opposite position by some bunny who obviously didn't know about the bleeding of the caliper and piston position. The break in the thick circlip inside the caliper must align with the bleed nipple at the back of the caliper otherwise you will never get the air out completely. Always tilt the caliper while fitting to ensure all the air is out, then bleed the brakes a few times as well.

    Good luck

    Phil

    Cheers
    Phil
    Thanks Phil,

    My dust covers are new but my seals keep swelling and dragging so I'll have to change from DOT4 to DOT3 brake fluid, there must be some reason my seals keep swelling. I'd be much obliged if you could get me a set of square seals for front and rear.

    Sorry about the thread hijack J-man.
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 14th June 2014 at 08:29 AM.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

  24. #24
    don
    don is offline
    Fellow Frogger! don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mayfield Newcastle
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Judging from the very sensible banter on this thread even the hijack me thinks the guy in the SAAB is properly strange

  25. #25
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Judging from the very sensible banter on this thread even the hijack me thinks the guy in the SAAB is properly strange
    Don, doesn't Saab and Saab owners come under "strange" in the dictionary?
    cheers,

    John

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •