R16 front suspension
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: R16 front suspension

Tadpole

Default R16 front suspension

As a favour for a friend, I acquired about a week ago a lovely R16TL, called Andre by its past owner of 40 years, that was still registered and ran. I had only 5 minutes to look it over and found the body to be in VG condition (from what I could see) and this was later confirmed. I sent it straight off for an inspection against roadworthy standards. Many of the things that would fail it are fixable (even if I have to go to French ebay) but the rubbers in the upper and lower control arms up front and the support mounts for the rear trailing arms are worn/cracked and I donít think these parts can now be replaced or are fixable. I have quite a few spares but they are in the same condition. Fulcrum Suspensions does not think they could be refurbished.

The mechanics at French Car Care seem to confirm my suspicion that because of the ageing of these particular parts, R16 have become roadworthiable. It would be sad to have to commit this good specimen to the crusher but I am realistic. A decision to dump the R16 would also lead to my dumping of my half-shed-full of R16 parts and some tools.

Advertisement

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has had to face this dilemma and has come out on top and who has a suggestion of what to do. I have just been informed that there is a business in Belgium that refurbishes control arms but I don't know its URL.

Fellow Frogger!

The rear suspension bushes are being re-manufactured by a guy named Geert in the Netherlands. His email address is r16geert@home.nl I think he also has all the front suspension bushes that you would need. I understand the replacement of the rear support mounts is very time consuming and very few people have the ability / knowledge / willing to work on them. I suspect that most R16's running around today have worn rear bushes and would not pass a Road Worthy, however if you can get the car on some form of club plate then you shouldn't have an issue. Otherwise its seems a shame to send it and your parts to the crusher.

Tadpole

Default R16 front suspension

Quote Originally Posted by dave_R16TS View Post
    The rear suspension bushes are being re-manufactured by a guy named Geert in the Netherlands. His email address is r16geert@home.nl I think he also has all the front suspension bushes that you would need. I understand the replacement of the rear support mounts is very time consuming and very few people have the ability / knowledge / willing to work on them. I suspect that most R16's running around today have worn rear bushes and would not pass a Road Worthy, however if you can get the car on some form of club plate then you shouldn't have an issue. Otherwise its seems a shame to send it and your parts to the crusher.
    Thank you Dave

I have just found out about Geert and have sent an email. The rear support mounts will therefore be another issue - the ones I mean are those on the outer of the trailing arm that can be seen from the side of the car. The newer type was fitted with needle rollers.

Even for club plates, roadworthies here are very strict.

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

Just having a look through my email correspondence. Geert recommended to replace both inner and outer bushes if doing the rear suspension. The quoted cost over a year ago was EU 325 for the outer mount set and EU 165 each for the inner mounts excluding postage. These are reproduced parts. I saw a NOS LH bush on French ebay go for over EU 400 last year. They are hens teeth.

R16 front suspension-suspension-mount.jpg R16 front suspension-suspension-mount-2.jpg

Anyhow Geert is the man to go to for R16 parts. Also its worth joining the R16 register in Australia, i think there are 50 or so cars. australianr16register@yahoo.com.au

They are much better; in the early days he was augmenting used ones with a cold polyurethane to "remake" them.

Quote Originally Posted by C Smalley View Post
    As a favour for a friend, I acquired about a week ago a lovely R16TL, called Andre by its past owner of 40 years, that was still registered and ran. I had only 5 minutes to look it over and found the body to be in VG condition (from what I could see) and this was later confirmed. I sent it straight off for an inspection against roadworthy standards. Many of the things that would fail it are fixable (even if I have to go to French ebay) but the rubbers in the upper and lower control arms up front and the support mounts for the rear trailing arms are worn/cracked and I donít think these parts can now be replaced or are fixable. I have quite a few spares but they are in the same condition. Fulcrum Suspensions does not think they could be refurbished.

The mechanics at French Car Care seem to confirm my suspicion that because of the ageing of these particular parts, R16 have become roadworthiable. It would be sad to have to commit this good specimen to the crusher but I am realistic. A decision to dump the R16 would also lead to my dumping of my half-shed-full of R16 parts and some tools.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has had to face this dilemma and has come out on top and who has a suggestion of what to do. I have just been informed that there is a business in Belgium that refurbishes control arms but I don't know its URL.
    The only thing that should send a 16 to a crusher these day's is a bad rusted body, but even that can be overcome as this thread proves:

Renault 16 TX Restoration | Renault Classic Car Club Forum

The above thread is for a UK car and not likely to be problematic to this extent in Australia.

As Dave has said, Geert from the R16 Tilburg Club can supply all relevant suspension bushings. Not cheap, but do this job and it should be lasting for a long time to come. If the TL had a pampered life I doubt the lower front wishbones would need doing. A visual inspection might suggest their cracked etc. but I'd reckon they'll be fine. Change over the front top wishbones or buy a replacement bushing kit from Geert if you have capacity to repair them yourself, (You'll need a press). Rear suspension isn't too bad if you have good support and clearance under the vehicle and follow the manual.

If tackling the job yourself I have all the suspension tools that you could borrow upon deposit. I collect 16 tools so I'd be keen to hear what you have.

You might be surprised to know there are two lower wishbones on ebay right now:

ARM Triangle Bras DE Suspension Inferieur Avant Gauche Renault 16 R16 Neuf | eBay

Just having a look through my email correspondence. Geert recommended to replace both inner and outer bushes if doing the rear suspension.
    I'd agree, do it all at once, the inners will most likely need replacing too.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    They are much better; in the early days he was augmenting used ones with a cold polyurethane to "remake" them.
    Addo, haven't seen your name for a while. Still restoring that yellow 16? Most thorough 16 restoration I'd ever seen, but never surfaced?

It's in hiatus, I am stalled on two counts. One is some TIG repairs needed to stress cracks in the roof inner bracing, the other is flycutting about 60 thou crescents in the pistons. Owen was helping me with the top end details and his final illness meant completing this is yet to be achieved.

You'll get links to Geehrt too when the Q'ld Renault Club gets back to you! Here's the website link: Renault 16 club Tilburg - wie zijn wij?

Great you are cherishing the car.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Default R16 suspension

Thank you Sarosa for the tip.

I've looked at those on ebay (and I had a delightful time reading/translating the details (in French)) but at this stage Geert's parts may be my best option.

Chris

Thread Information