R8, Caravelle - Paint Code/ Colour for Engine Block ?
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 59 Floride

Thread: R8, Caravelle - Paint Code/ Colour for Engine Block ?

Default R8, Caravelle - Paint Code/ Colour for Engine Block ?

Hi Fellow Froggers

I need some info if you can please.

I'm attempting to restore the Caravelle Engine back to original looking and need to find the greeny/khaki colour code so I can get a small amount of paint made for touch-ups.

Advertisement

I'm presuming the engine is a SIERRA motor, it is badged: 688-03

The colour I'm after is on my Rocker Box cover and I've attached a photo to help identify.

I spent 40minutes at 'Paint Suppliers' yesterday trying to find a colour chip to match, the closest I got was to green!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

phil

R8, Caravelle - Paint Code/ Colour for Engine Block ?-dscf2987.jpg

Hi Phil,

I went through this exercise a while back and believe this is fairly close to what you are looking for..

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/renault-forum/108658-gordini-engine-green.html

Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

1000+ Posts

Green to 1966 and then they were black after that. Not sure when in 1966 they changed. But definitely green in 1965.

Thanks Graham

Have you any idea what the B,C,D and Kx stand for ? Also what are the measurements in ??

Hope you are bringing your Caravelle to Forbes next year for the muster. All being well I intend taking mine.

Cheers Phil

Erm, this is all the information I have, it looks like a 1 litre tin to me but any paint guy over 25 should be able to nut it out.

Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Thanks Graham

Have you any idea what the B,C,D and Kx stand for ? Also what are the measurements in ??

Hope you are bringing your Caravelle to Forbes next year for the muster. All being well I intend taking mine.

Cheers Phil
    Provided I can escape Brisbane next Easter I'll be bringing my new lady Geneviève
    J-man likes this.

Hi Graham

Any chance you might have a good photo of the new lady ?? Is it similar to the below ??

By the way, thanks for the lead on the white wall inserts. Fair amount of work but worth every minute.

Phil

R8, Caravelle - Paint Code/ Colour for Engine Block ?-dscf2574.jpgR8, Caravelle - Paint Code/ Colour for Engine Block ?-dscf2982.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8, Caravelle - Paint Code/ Colour for Engine Block ?-dscf2987.jpg  

Well not exactly like yours but a work in progress as it now stands.. I found her in a yard with two vicious dogs and barbed wire.

1956 Renault Fregate restoration...Project Geneviève

Last edited by 59 Floride; 7th June 2014 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Hi Graham

Any chance you might have a good photo of the new lady ?? Is it similar to the below ??

By the way, thanks for the lead on the white wall inserts. Fair amount of work but worth every minute.

Phil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2574.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	56984Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2982.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	56986

Did you have any joy with the instrument rejuvination..?

Yes. All good now. I didn't have to pull out the speedo. I simply got a long WD40 oil tube and injected some WD40 plus Molybond oil into the back of the speedo where the speedo cable goes in and presto, no squeaks and the speedo works fine. Little trembly but so am I at that age!!

Interesting project, looks like heaps of work but it will be worth it.

Cheers Phil

Thread Information