Renault R10
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Renault R10

Default Renault R10

I never owned one of these but I know them very well, drove them for many miles/kms: suggested to many girlfriends from the 70's to 90's. Had a friend in the '60's who was even then a Renault tragic. He had many Renaults, but the one of his I remember most was a 750 with a worked 16TS motor and a 10s box: had the power to weight ratio of a space shuttle.

The 10, I believe, was and is one of the best compromise cars of all time: Very comfortable, precise handling, very low fuel consumption and...God forbid.. fun to drive. Carpet, stereo? Meh! Beautiful light gearbox changes, excellent even clutch travel, 4 wheel discs brakes, visibility that really meant you could see. Spirited when asked and ready to be a shopping cart when required.

Advertisement

I really wish they'd make it again, just like it was. There is almost no part of this car that I couldn't make by hand.

1000+ Posts

Well, a few changes would be a good thing.

Those four wheel discs locked fronts (in the wet especially) -so, ABS would be nice.

The 3.7 turns steering was stupidly slow for such a light front - so, 3.3 or 2.5 would be nice.

Swing axles can be made to handle by restricting their travel but that's poor for ride - so, wishbones & double jointed half shafts would be nice.

But yes, it was a nice beastie, even bog standard on ghastly Michelins.

You would, I think, like the new Twingo (& perhaps the Smart will look less like a Fiat 500 clone than the Twingo).

cheers! Peter

And they had no problems with cross winds or the front doors falling off either!

Still I liked them too.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

I reckon they're a pretty cool thing and a lot of fun. They're also one of the few older cars these days that are still very cheap to buy and get parts for . My ultimate aim is to have a Dauphine with R10 suspension, brakes, steering, gearbox and a RS Clio 172 engine . That will compliment my R10 1.4L and my 17TL powered 4CV nicely . Then I just need the time and funds to do them all up

Renault R10-blue-dauphine-superlites.jpg
    cheers,

John

J=Man,
    That is a nice Dauphine. Do you know its history????

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    J=Man,
    That is a nice Dauphine. Do you know its history????

Ray
    Hi Ray, I believe it was built by a guy in Nairne SA (5 minutes from me) but I don't know him or if he's still in the area, but it was built years ago and sold to someone in Japan. I could be wrong though ...

Renault R10-engine-superlites.jpgRenault R10-rhr-superlites.jpg
    cheers,

John

Hi All,

The owner of this Dauphine sold it to a guy in Darwin, he had an R10 with fat wheels and a 1.4L in it which I bought and the Dauphine was just about to be picked up by a transport mob. Sweet car! 16TS engine, twin webers etc. He was from Blakiston JMan.
    Current Frogs:

1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

Golly Anthony, that's even closer to me! So if it was the Plum or chocolate brown R10, then I've spoken to the guy a few years ago! Small world hey!

Sorry to hijack the thread Richard
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Golly Anthony, that's even closer to me! So if it was the Plum or chocolate brown R10, then I've spoken to the guy a few years ago! Small world hey!

Yep it was Barossa Red, I think I remember you mentioning you chatted to him at Bauldy's servo?
    Current Frogs:

1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

Quote Originally Posted by R10S FAN View Post
    Yep it was Barossa Red, I think I remember you mentioning you chatted to him at Bauldy's servo?
    Yep, that's the one, and yes, I followed him from Hahndorf
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

Personally, I approve of thread hijacking. A thread is a conversation & conversations move around a bit &, if people want them to, can move back again.
    Peter

Hijacked? Surely you mean appropriated!
    If it spreads the love and reminds someone of the R10, possibly enough to save one..great!

1000+ Posts

I reckon they're a pretty cool thing and a lot of fun. They're also one of the few older cars these days that are still very cheap to buy and get parts for . My ultimate aim is to have a Dauphine with R10 suspension, brakes, steering, gearbox and a RS Clio 172 engine . That will compliment my R10 1.4L and my 17TL powered 4CV nicely . Then I just need the time and funds to do them all up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue Dauphine with Superlites.jpg 
Views:	3686 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	56939
    I would have thought that the trouble with the Clio engine is that it's an F series & they're a tad heavy. My choice would be a bike engine if you want something better than an R5 Alpine or R16/17. When choosing between the latter pair for my 4CVG (I chose the R5 Alpine), I was tempted by a Subaru flat 4 as a wildcard but now like the idea of a bike motor better.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    I would have thought that the trouble with the Clio engine is that it's an F series & they're a tad heavy. My choice would be a bike engine if you want something better than an R5 Alpine or R16/17. When choosing between the latter pair for my 4CVG (I chose the R5 Alpine), I was tempted by a Subaru flat 4 as a wildcard but now like the idea of a bike motor better.

cheers! Peter
    Interesting thought Peter! I've never looked at torque curves for those 4 and 6 cylinder engines, but they certainly have power and light weight on their side, and reliability I gather. Alan Moore may comment - he is a bike collector too and knows his stuff.

Trust all well at your end.

Cheers,
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information