Clutch Vibration/Shudder
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default Clutch Vibration/Shudder

    Been having a clutch shudder in the Fuego that is a bit odd.

    Advertisement


    It's an aftermarket clutch (Quinton-Hazell) that has been in for about a year.

    In that time it's always had a slight shudder when shifting down through the gears (ie under braking and going back to third or second at speed)

    It doesn't shudder at all when taking off or any other time.

    I don't know if it's got any worse, or I just notice it more, but I decided to pull the engine out and check the clutch. I expected to find a loose rivet or spring, but it all seems good. The flywheel seems ok too, with no overheat marks, but I'll get it machined just in case. There is no oil contamination.

    I notice that there is no bush/bearing in the crankshaft, but I don't recall there ever being one?

    Could the firmer engine mounts be responsible?

    I haven't removed the gearbox mount yet but it looks okay (if a little soft).

    Any other ideas?

    Is there supposed to be a spigot bush in a Fuego? Have I lost it somewhere along the way?

    The Haynes manual doesn't really shed any light on the matter...

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts Haakon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    canberra...
    Posts
    8,876

    Default

    Might be the springs still - a bit weak but still ok visually. I too would have expected to see something spring/rivet related...

    No spigot bush - input shaft supported by bearing in bell housing.

    I found a huge difference between Sasic and Valeo clutches for the Fuego - the Sasic one I did not enjoy at all. I'd expect QH to be good though (best aftermarket water pumps I found after trying a few not so good ones!).

    You've gone to all that bother now though - put a new Valeo in.

  3. #3
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Might be the springs still - a bit weak but still ok visually. I too would have expected to see something spring/rivet related...

    No spigot bush - input shaft supported by bearing in bell housing.

    I found a huge difference between Sasic and Valeo clutches for the Fuego - the Sasic one I did not enjoy at all. I'd expect QH to be good though (best aftermarket water pumps I found after trying a few not so good ones!).

    You've gone to all that bother now though - put a new Valeo in.
    Yeah, I just don't want to fork out for a new clutch as it will probably only be in for a few months until the new motor is finished and then I might get something a bit stronger made up.

    I suppose it's handling a little more power than it's designed for, maybe the springs are on the soft side. Just strange that it's only on down change and not under load.

    Might pull the gearbox mount off.

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    12,625

    Default

    I think I have a good S/hand Valeo clutch sitting in the garage if you want to try same. I seem to have a vague recollection of some early Fuego gear boxes with the longer shaft and spigot bush setup. I'd have to trawl through some of the spares to confirm.

    The Valeo clutch was always softer in operation than some of the Australian "heavy duty" replacement clutches, and the reason I kept the Valeo clutch just in case!!

    In the MOT. J engine manual it mentions removing spigot roller type bearing "if fitted" and a quick check of the BV NG gearbox manuals two different extensions are shown (component 74) with and without spigot.

    Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 30th May 2014 at 09:08 PM.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! Mungous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    335

    Default

    QH clutches are rubbish. After fitting two to customer cars and having both come back with shudder within months I tried one in my own car to see if the problem was the driver or the part.

    Mine started shuddering after about a week despite a refaced flywheel and gentle use, and I have sworn off those useless things forever.

  6. #6
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mungous View Post
    QH clutches are rubbish. After fitting two to customer cars and having both come back with shudder within months I tried one in my own car to see if the problem was the driver or the part.

    Mine started shuddering after about a week despite a refaced flywheel and gentle use, and I have sworn off those useless things forever.
    Cool. I thought it might just be the clutch. I've never had any clutch issues with any car I've owned so I think I'm pretty sympathetic to them.

    I'll whack a valeo in it.

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Cool. I thought it might just be the clutch. I've never had any clutch issues with any car I've owned so I think I'm pretty sympathetic to them.

    I'll whack a valeo in it.
    My fuego with super stiff engine/box mounts has a valeo clutch, and no vibrations to report after 20k km.

    Jo

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! Trading Estate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Check that soft gearbox mount as well. First thing I always eliminate
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

  9. #9
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mungous View Post
    QH clutches are rubbish. After fitting two to customer cars and having both come back with shudder within months I tried one in my own car to see if the problem was the driver or the part.

    Mine started shuddering after about a week despite a refaced flywheel and gentle use, and I have sworn off those useless things forever.
    That's disappointing, but good to know. Thanks for the heads up.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •