R8,R10, Caravelle - Brake Caliper Piston sizes ??
  • Help

Default R8,R10, Caravelle - Brake Caliper Piston sizes ??

Hi Fellow Froggers.

I'm in the middle of renewing all my Caliper piston seals, brake hoses etc on the Caravelle. Just wondering if there are different sizes of Calipers and Pistons fitted to R8, R10 and Caravelle.

Reason I'm asking is that a couple of years ago I was given a few boxes of old bits and pieces of a R10. Amongst them I have found a couple of calipers and pistons which are looking the same as the ones on my Caravelle except they are much bigger ??

The Pistons on my Caravelle are 32mm dia. The ones in the box of bits and pieces are 38mm dia. I'm confused !! Did Renault have a change of heart on the R10 model and put on bigger calipers to try and stop better ??

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Advertisement

Cheers

Phil

The front pistons are 38mm diameter, the rear pistons are 32mm diameter. No change to piston diameters over the production run.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

The rears obviously have the handbrake lever facility - easiest way to tell the calipers apart
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The front pistons are 38mm diameter, the rear pistons are 32mm diameter. No change to piston diameters over the production run.
    Thanks Simon. I must have fluked it when I did my fronts. I just picked up the O Rings in the packet without looking if the sizes were different and must have fitted them as they went in with thumb pressure perfectly and I pressure tested them under metho before going any further. They work perfectly. I'm doing the rears now.

Thanks again for clearing that up for me.

Cheers Phil

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Thanks Simon. I must have fluked it when I did my fronts. I just picked up the O Rings in the packet without looking if the sizes were different and must have fitted them as they went in with thumb pressure perfectly and I pressure tested them under metho before going any further. They work perfectly. I'm doing the rears now.

Thanks again for clearing that up for me.

Cheers Phil
    That's my trick too, pressure testing under metho to be sure.

Are you throwing out the pressure limiting valve too? Many of us have and the brakes are significantly better for it.

Good to follow the progress Phil. It looked like a nice car.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That's my trick too, pressure testing under metho to be sure.

Are you throwing out the pressure limiting valve too? Many of us have and the brakes are significantly better for it.

Good to follow the progress Phil. It looked like a nice car.

Hi John.

Yes I will do away with the pressure limiter in due course. I will also renew the Master Cylinder at the same time. I bought a brand new Master Cylinder for the R8 and had it fitted to the R8 last year, this gave me a spare Master Cylinder which can be overhauled by PBR and then I'll fit it to the Caravelle.

Must admit, as I'm getting older working under the cars on stands is no joy, so the Master Cylinder and pressure Limiter will be done by Adelaide Clutch and Brake, good guys at Edwardstown, has heaps of classics there every time I drop by.

How's your R8 these days ?? These cars are going to be around a lot longer after we all depart, pitty we can't ake them with us!!

Cheers mate

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Hi John.

Yes I will do away with the pressure limiter in due course. I will also renew the Master Cylinder at the same time. I bought a brand new Master Cylinder for the R8 and had it fitted to the R8 last year, this gave me a spare Master Cylinder which can be overhauled by PBR and then I'll fit it to the Caravelle.

Must admit, as I'm getting older working under the cars on stands is no joy, so the Master Cylinder and pressure Limiter will be done by Adelaide Clutch and Brake, good guys at Edwardstown, has heaps of classics there every time I drop by.

How's your R8 these days ?? These cars are going to be around a lot longer after we all depart, pitty we can't ake them with us!!

Cheers mate

Phil
    Hi Phil,

The R8 is as ever thanks, and I'll be commuting in it this week I think. Going well. I should clean the Barmah Forest dust out of it though! I'm in the process of organising a pressure bleeder for the brakes, which are nice and progressive with refurbished everything and no pressure limiter, but not quite as firm as I'd like.

The 4CV is the active project at present, getting headlamp relays at last - I'm most of the way there. She got a new French horn earlier in the year, also with a relay, and now has a seriously loud tone, and I've refurbished the windscreen washers I fitted 40 years ago in Adelaide. The 6V radiator fan is sitting on the bench, as is the 6V alternator. So plenty of ancillary things going on.

Yes, they'll see us out I'm afraid!!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Can someone explain to me what this metho presure testing procedure is? And what is metho? Metholated Spirits?

Thanks
    Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Can someone explain to me what this metho presure testing procedure is? And what is metho? Metholated Spirits?

Thanks
    Frans
    Hi Frans,

I used to immerse the complete calliper in methylated spirits (yes, "meths" or "metho" in Australia") and apply air pressure to check for bubbles, as a test of sealing of the 'o' ring. Meths was used to avoid contaminating the 'o' ring in the days of non-silicone brake fluid. After testing, the outer dust seal was fitted. This was done before fitting the calliper to the brake hose and to the car of course.

Must rush.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thread Information