4CV Inition switch removal
  • Help

Default 4CV Inition switch removal

Hi,
    I'm new here, got a 4CV not long ago. I'm in California but this seems to be the best, most active site for 4Cvs.
    I'm a long time French car lover, and I've owned quite a few.

Anyhow, like the title says, I need to get the ignition switch out for repair. I understand that the two machine screws on the sides of the barrel should release the plastic switch portion. I've got them out, but no luck so far.
    I'm loathe to pry on plastic.
    Also I've been trying to depress the recessed plunger that I believe releases the lock cylinder portion, I've tried the key in all positions (I think)no movement.

Advertisement

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    Alan

What part of California Alan.

Doing the Daffyduck dance via the AussieFrogs app.

Welcome aboard AF's Alan. I'm assuming that the switch in question is the Neiman steering lock type switch? As I'm confused by the plastic switch portion, that is generally only released when the screws on the rear of the switch are removed, releasing a steel ring that then releases the plastic switch on the rear of the lock barrel.

Once the screws on the side of the barrel (that screw into the metal body of the barrel through the surround) are removed, the key should be turned to the Garage position, where the plunger in the side of the barrel can be depressed allowing the lock to be drawn out from the column.

Hope this helps.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thanks for the welcome and the info. Now that I know the correct switch position I can proceed with a bit more gusto. I'll try first thing tomorrow morning.

Daffy, I'm up north in Mendo County.

Cheers, Alan

That worked out so well, I'm back for more.
    First, to be clear on Simon's excellent help. There are 2 screws on the side of the barrel, but also 2 very small screws on the back, holding the metal ring he referenced. I hadn't seen those, but when I focused on the metal ring, it became clear that something was holding it.
    Also the are 2 spring detents on my car, I was pushing the one on the bottom, but the one on the right side (lhd car) was the right one. I hadn't noticed it!

In the end "worked a treat"

Now, the lock is fowling the notch in the steering column cowl, just a hair. I have rotated the lock thru all 360 degrees, but still just a hair of interference.

Eventually I want to remove the cowl for paint, anyway, so I'd like to know how to release it. Have the steering wheel off, there must be some attachment at the fascia?

Thanks, ALan
    Last edited by facelnut; 24th May 2014 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by facelnut View Post
    Now, the lock is fowling the notch in the steering column cowl, just a hair. I have rotated the lock thru all 360 degrees, but still just a hair of interference.

Eventually I want to remove the cowl for paint, anyway, so I'd like to know how to release it. Have the steering wheel off, there must be some attachment at the fascia?
    I'm guessing the lock sector is just protruding from the side of the barrel just a touch too far? If that is the case, try turning the key between the Garage and On (Marche) position, this will pull the locking sector in just a touch, but note that turning the key also pushes the pushed in retaining sector out the other side too. There can be a bit of juggling required, most times not a lot, hopefully there will be a compromise position that just pulls in the locking sector and allows the retaining sector to clear to allow the barrel to be withdrawn.

Once the lock barrel is removed, the steering column is retained to the dashboard either by captive bolts or two bolts above the lock barrel, once they are removed, and the column detached from the flector at the rack end, the column should come out.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I'm guessing the lock sector is just protruding from the side of the barrel just a touch too far? If that is the case, try turning the key between the Garage and On (Marche) position, this will pull the locking sector in just a touch, but note that turning the key also pushes the pushed in retaining sector out the other side too. There can be a bit of juggling required, most times not a lot, hopefully there will be a compromise position that just pulls in the locking sector and allows the retaining sector to clear to allow the barrel to be withdrawn.

Once the lock barrel is removed, the steering column is retained to the dashboard either by captive bolts or two bolts above the lock barrel, once they are removed, and the column detached from the flector at the rack end, the column should come out.
    I'll give it a go.
    Thanks again for the help, Simon.

Last time I did this, after a couple of hours inventing new words, lying under someone else's Caravelle with few tools, it stuck about 80% out and needed one judicious whack with a hammer and a piece of wood. They typically haven't been removed since assembly, so up to 65 years ago, and they can be a bit tight even if the tongue and press in balls are correctly placed.

Welcome to Aussiefrogs - great to spread the connections wider and wider.

Good luck with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4CV Inition switch removal-p5260145.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thank you John, appreciate your insight. I confess, I've already tried a few small taps; I guess a "whack" is next on the agenda.

Alan

To follow up.
    Turns out it was the plastic cowl around the column that was keeping the switch stuck at about a 1/2" out. I finally found the set screw, right side, that holds the surround to the column. Once I backed the screw off, I was able to pull the cowl up enough to let the lock come out of it's hole.

Now off to the locksmith for a better key, then on the road!
    Thanks, again for the assistance.

Hoo Roo, Alan

Thread Information