02 scenic intermittent no compresion
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 02 scenic intermittent no compresion

1000+ Posts

Default 02 scenic intermittent no compresion

Could a sticking phaser pulley ,or lifters cause this problem ,it stops ,turns over as if no compression ,next morning starts and runs ok ,last time it stopped was accompanied by a clattery noise ,apparently cam belt is ok ,iv been offered this low ks car real cheep ,but i have had my fingers burnt before ,pugs

Advertisement

$100 cheap?

Fellow Frogger!

well... I know nothing about the Scenic engine, but here's a thought.

My partner used to have a Holden SB Barina, 1998 model - the Opel sourced one. They have hydraulic lifters with fairly fine tolerances in them.

If too heavy an oil is used, when first started (especially in cold weather) the lifters pump up too much and jam, stopping the valves from closing fully. The engine spins over very fast/freely on the starter motor because there is no compression. What used to happen to us was the engine would fire, run really rough a couple of seconds, then stall and THEN you'd get the fast turnover/no compression thing. Letting it stand about half an hour would usually be enough to get it to start, sometimes it would start beautifully as if nothing was ever wrong, other times it would start running on one or two cylinders, then each extra cylinder would come on after a couple of minutes really rough misfiring.

Holden originally specified a normal 20W50 or similar oil and had lots of problems with these locking lifters, when they finally adopted the original European oil specification of something as runny as water (5W30 or something) the problem was almost cured. Our car would still do it about once a year. The dealer said some cars were worse than others, they had replaced lifters under warranty on some.

hope that is of some help.

Unlikely to be the dephaser.
    That is normally off and only cuts in at around 1450RPM - 4500RPM and it only works on the inlet valves.
    Even then it only changes the timing by a few degrees.
    Could be causing the noise but a dodgy one won't kill the engine.

Could be the oil as suggested by Scimca1100.
    Getting cooler now so viscosity increases.
    The recommended oil for the F4R is 15W40 - 15W50.

What about the TDC sensor?
    They can stop an engine and are often intermittant.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

Thanks for your reply's ,cheep is 5 bills ,service record, straight, no plates ,apparently this is the only problem ,pugs

4wd? If so and you don't buy it, a chap here may well take it for the gearbox.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    4wd? If so and you don't buy it, a chap here may well take it for the gearbox.
    Which is another way of suggesting a careful check of certain driveshaft boots....

Sounds worth a try to me. You can always sell it for the gearbox later, if that is OK.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

It most likely will be the TDC sensor as this when it is faulty will cause the engine to turn over in the starter and you could do this till the battery goes flat if you crank it long enough.
    If it is an Rx4, there is nothing wrong with them as far as the gearbox goes if you have the later gearbox, which could well be in the one yo are looking at.
    Check the build date on the plaque inside the rear of the drivers door jam. This will give month/year of build. The 2001 models, like mine had an inherent gearbox problem, which can be replaced if I am correct before the box fails. Sadly mine failed but I replaced the box as the rest of the car is in vgc mechanically.
    Agree it could be the oil, but the recommended oil for the F4R is a 5-30 or 10-40 according to all paperwork I have with my Scenic.
    I have been feeding mine Elf Semi-synth 10w-40 the whole time I have had it and it hardly uses any oil at all, even being 220,000km
    When you get it running take it for a drive, if the transmission is noisy and the sounds make you think, don't buy it or knock several K off the price.
    By the way, sadly, 5 bills is a high price for an 02 Scenic in any condition, so they are taking you for a ride.
    Let me know if you want any help with assessing the car.
    Cheers HKP
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    Agree it could be the oil, but the recommended oil for the F4R is a 5-30 or 10-40 according to all paperwork I have with my Scenic.
    I have been feeding mine Elf Semi-synth 10w-40 the whole time I have had it and it hardly uses any oil at all, even being 220,000km
    I'm just quoting from the good book (Technical Note N.T.3307A) not the owners manual.
    The 5W-30 and 10W-40 are recommended for -30 and -20 degrees respectively and the 5W-30 is recommended up to 30 degrees.
    Can be chilly in Tweed Heads but I don't think it gets down that low too often.
    15W40 and 15W50 are quoted for -15 to +30.
    Anyway, the lower viscosity won't make a huge amount of difference because the motor's cutting out when hot not cold.
    4.pdf

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

Im talking $500 ,knock several k off !!! .its a two wheel drive ,i baught another with an engine issue about 12 months ago, same price ,a 1.6 ,wrecked it, got a shed full of parts ,my son drives the same model, 2 litre .iv got a set of lifters here ,could be a cheep car for someone .dont want to see it go to crusher ,i know, im a tragic, pugs

1000+ Posts

Cant go there now ,the owner has another car so its parked up in there drive, just want it gone ,i have the number if anyone is interested its on the gold coast, pugs ,thanks guys for your input ,sounds like oil/lifter problem

I'd go with the TDC. Check it's a blue coloured shell. It you have 10 mins access it and check. Unplug it and twist the connector pins 45 degrees and clean with contact cleaner. Reconnect star car and monitor. What ECU does the car run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information