R8/10 type 330 transmission speedo
  • Help
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    southampton Ontario Canada
    Posts
    89

    Default R8/10 type 330 transmission speedo

    I have a R8 / R10 type 330 transmission that I need to change out the speedo drive gear because it is damaged ! Is there an easy way to get at the gear to change it ??? I have tried to pry out the plastic plug that allows to get at the drive but it seems tough to move so rather than break something I thought I would see if there is a easy trick to get it out .R8/10 type 330 transmission speedo-renault-330-transmisson-rebuild-speedo-gear.jpg

    Advertisement


    My book does not deal with this and any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Manic GT

  2. #2
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    The plastic sleeve is usually held in place by the bolt that also secures the speedo cable. Once the bolt is removed, the sleeve generally falls out. Sometimes though previous people have glued the plastic sleeve in place (rather than replacing the o-ring or oil seal to minimise leaks), perhaps a bit of gentle persuasion on the end of the chewed gear will help to shift it.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  3. #3
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The plastic sleeve is usually held in place by the bolt that also secures the speedo cable. Once the bolt is removed, the sleeve generally falls out. Sometimes though previous people have glued the plastic sleeve in place (rather than replacing the o-ring or oil seal to minimise leaks), perhaps a bit of gentle persuasion on the end of the chewed gear will help to shift it.
    Simon is right of course. There's a bolt head on the opposite side (outside) of the housing you have photographed. New and secondhand gears are available here and there, but be careful to count the number of teeth as there are many different sizes.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    southampton Ontario Canada
    Posts
    89

    Default

    I have the bolt out and was trying the gentle persuasion but I guess someone must have glued it in so a little more aggression may be needed .

    Thanks for the info I just didn't want to break something in case I have overlooked some small detail.

    Manic gt

  5. #5
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manicgt View Post
    I have the bolt out and was trying the gentle persuasion but I guess someone must have glued it in so a little more aggression may be needed .

    Thanks for the info I just didn't want to break something in case I have overlooked some small detail.

    Manic gt
    Very wise too! At least, with the gear and sleeve, you will be able to find replacements. Let me know if you can't and I'll burrow into a few websites for you.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    southampton Ontario Canada
    Posts
    89

    Default

    I got the sleeve out by using some heat but not before breaking the gear up using the greater persuasion tools .( large punch and hammer I figured the gear was no good any way )

    I will be needing a green speedo gear not sure if they were identified with the colour or number of teeth.

    My pinion gear has 8 teeth and the large ring has 33 teeth.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Manic GT

  7. #7
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manicgt View Post
    I got the sleeve out by using some heat but not before breaking the gear up using the greater persuasion tools .( large punch and hammer I figured the gear was no good any way )

    I will be needing a green speedo gear not sure if they were identified with the colour or number of teeth.

    My pinion gear has 8 teeth and the large ring has 33 teeth.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Manic GT
    My advice is to retrieve the bits and count the teeth on the speedo drive pinion. There are about four different numbers of teeth.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  8. #8
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    If you can't find anything closer, I've got a new green 13 tooth drive gear, part number 08 30 050 300.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    southampton Ontario Canada
    Posts
    89

    Default 330 type transmission

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    If you can't find anything closer, I've got a new green 13 tooth drive gear, part number 08 30 050 300.
    Thanks for the offer I will be checking around to see what I can find in my own parts first. I was just curious at this point how Renault identified the different speedo drives ??? Mine in this unit was green but is that always a 13 tooth drive ?? Will continue with my first trans rebuild to see what else I run across.

    Thanks for all the help and generous offer.

    Manic GT

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts daffyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Posts
    1,955

    Default

    You should be able to introduce the correct gear to the casing which I think is the same. And do not feel bad. I had to butch one out too.

    Doing the Daffyduck dance via the AussieFrogs app.

  11. #11
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manicgt View Post
    I was just curious at this point how Renault identified the different speedo drives ??? Mine in this unit was green but is that always a 13 tooth drive ??
    It is generally the colour of the cog, especially in the same family of gearboxes, so a green cog in a 330 'box will be a 13 tooth cog. Though Renault don't specify a particular cog colour in the parts catalogue, just the number of teeth and the part number, so there could be exceptions depending on production batch that I've not seen.......
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  12. #12
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    If you can't find anything closer, I've got a new green 13 tooth drive gear, part number 08 30 050 300.
    Do you have any others Simon?? They do appear on ebay and the odd parts supplier from time to time. Definitely a precious item, not something you'd make up on the average home workshop bench!

    Gears and sleeves appear, for example, sometimes on Web Pieces Retro (www.web-pieces-retro.fr)

    Good luck.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  13. #13
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    They do appear on ebay and the odd parts supplier from time to time.
    There are a few others, the Renault 16 ones break the same colour rule, one being blue, the other purple, both being the same part. This particular green/13 one though has excellent provenance, coming from the personal collection of Jacques Thoridnet, it's gotta be worth a motza!


    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Definitely a precious item, not something you'd make up on the average home workshop bench!
    I don't know about that. Given future improvements in scanning and 3D printing, it won't be too long until good quality reproductions can be created from home. Shops will sell the scanned dimensions, which can be printed at home on the. The only thing they won't have is the Jacques Thoridnet provenance.......
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  14. #14
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    There are a few others, the Renault 16 ones break the same colour rule, one being blue, the other purple, both being the same part. This particular green/13 one though has excellent provenance, coming from the personal collection of Jacques Thoridnet, it's gotta be worth a motza!




    I don't know about that. Given future improvements in scanning and 3D printing, it won't be too long until good quality reproductions can be created from home. Shops will sell the scanned dimensions, which can be printed at home on the. The only thing they won't have is the Jacques Thoridnet provenance.......
    You have a point there, but we'll have to wait a while. Right now, I have a little 3D scanning and printing project going, and the cost of printing remains horrendous, if done to a high standard anyway. I now have the 3D CAD files and the dilemma of printing what I want at far too high a cost, or waiting two years, by which time maybe the printing costs will have come down!

    That provenance is great, Simon!
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  15. #15
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    You have a point there, but we'll have to wait a while. Right now, I have a little 3D scanning and printing project going, and the cost of printing remains horrendous, if done to a high standard anyway. I now have the 3D CAD files and the dilemma of printing what I want at far too high a cost, or waiting two years, by which time maybe the printing costs will have come down!
    That's right, at the moment it seems to be in a transition zone between the last of the NOS for oldies and relatively cheap and quality 3D printing. Though it didn't seem to take too long for photography to progress from state-of-the-art 0.8MP Mavicas (which I thought took horrible pics) till now when digital photography is quite passable. Then it will be a case of better plastic than classic for the ease of reproduction.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That provenance is great, Simon!
    I thought it sounded very impressive too. Though it seems from looking at the book Alpine Renault, the fabulous Berlinettes (ISBN 978-1-845844), page 163, he has become the forgotten man. Apparently even the Alpine afficionados don't know who he is....
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  16. #16
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,310

    Default

    Re Jacques, that is a real shame, and a bit hard to understand.

    The 3D print quality is there now, and more materials are becoming available for "printing" items with. However, the prices are still sky-high because of printer cost and also the costs of the materials prepared for feeding into the printer etc.

    There are newly made speedo drive gears out there, as I've seen all metal ones on one of the French sites, but can't recall which. In the meantime, husband your stocks, if you have any at all!. The normal printing material seems to be ABS+ or something like that, which is ABS with an additive to make it conductive. I reckon that would be good enough for a speedo drive actually but the one-off might cost $500+ right now. Very interesting as this technology evolves and becomes accessible.

    Cheers

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    That's right, at the moment it seems to be in a transition zone between the last of the NOS for oldies and relatively cheap and quality 3D printing. Though it didn't seem to take too long for photography to progress from state-of-the-art 0.8MP Mavicas (which I thought took horrible pics) till now when digital photography is quite passable. Then it will be a case of better plastic than classic for the ease of reproduction.



    I thought it sounded very impressive too. Though it seems from looking at the book Alpine Renault, the fabulous Berlinettes (ISBN 978-1-845844), page 163, he has become the forgotten man. Apparently even the Alpine afficionados don't know who he is....
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  17. #17
    Ove
    Ove is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    It is generally the colour of the cog, especially in the same family of gearboxes, so a green cog in a 330 'box will be a 13 tooth cog. Though Renault don't specify a particular cog colour in the parts catalogue, just the number of teeth and the part number, so there could be exceptions depending on production batch that I've not seen.......
    Does anybody know the correlation between the gearbox-types and colors of their cogs?
    I have found white, red, blue, green and black ones in my stock.

    Cheers

  18. #18
    1000+ Posts REN TIN TIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Brisbane/Australia
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    I know this is an old thread and I don't wish to hijack this but it's the only thread that came up when I searched on speed drive gear, but my question is the R12 speedo drive gear held in the same way as the R10, i.e. interference fit?
    I know the R10 & R12 are at different ends and have different linkages but perhaps Regie Renault raided their parts bins when they brought out the R12 and didn't try to reinvent the wheel so has similar designs.

    I have an R12 parts list (PR1012) but I couldn't find a drawing or part number for the speedo drive.
    Does one have to replace the entire rear housing to replace the speedo drive?
    The Renault workshop manual, and Ball, Haynes, Gregorys, (and a couple of others) workshop manuals are of no use either.


    Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

  19. #19
    COL
    COL is offline
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    4,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    I know this is an old thread and I don't wish to hijack this but it's the only thread that came up when I searched on speed drive gear, but my question is the R12 speedo drive gear held in the same way as the R10, i.e. interference fit?
    I know the R10 & R12 are at different ends and have different linkages but perhaps Regie Renault raided their parts bins when they brought out the R12 and didn't try to reinvent the wheel so has similar designs.

    I have an R12 parts list (PR1012) but I couldn't find a drawing or part number for the speedo drive.
    Does one have to replace the entire rear housing to replace the speedo drive?
    The Renault workshop manual, and Ball, Haynes, Gregorys, (and a couple of others) workshop manuals are of no use either.


    Cheers
    Ren
    As mentioned above after you have removed the bolt that secures the speedo cable, the speedo drive just pushes out. There is an O ring that is used as a seal between the drive and the housing, but usually they just push out fairly easily.
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  20. #20
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    I have an R12 parts list (PR1012) but I couldn't find a drawing or part number for the speedo drive.
    Page 31.50 contains the speedo drive
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  21. #21
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ove View Post
    Does anybody know the correlation between the gearbox-types and colors of their cogs?
    I have found white, red, blue, green and black ones in my stock.

    Cheers
    I missed this one from earlier. There does seem to be a loose correlation, but the attached pic shows that there can be exceptions. Two speedo drives with identical part numbers, but two different colours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8/10 type 330 transmission speedo-dsc07679.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  22. #22
    1000+ Posts REN TIN TIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Brisbane/Australia
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    Page 30.50, so it is.
    Thank you Simon, you have saved the day yet again.

    I must be going blind, I couldn't find.
    (In my defence , I've scanned the parts list so was looking in preview mode on the monitor so the drawings were small).
    Now to check the gearbox type and whether is a 13 tooth or 14 tooth.

    Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •