1976 16TS - Where to connect the hoses from/to the 'fuel vapour cannister'?
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 1976 16TS - Where to connect the hoses from/to the 'fuel vapour cannister'?

I am now finalising the engine swap in my TS and having trouble finding where to connect one of the rubber hoses. I took some photos before removing the old engine but obviously not enough.

On the LHS side of the transmission is a round black plastic canister with 2 hoses attached. I have found a place for the larger hose but not the smaller one. None of my manuals show this item as I gather it was only fitted to the later models.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Don

Advertisement
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Hi Don. I haven't had a '76 for a while now but from memory the thick black pipe goes from the charcoal canister to the carbie plastic cover and the smaller pipe attaches to a third steel fuel line. This third fuel line then runs with the other fuel lines beneath the car. The two petrol ones go to the tank while the third one goes to the expansion chamber inside your rear drivers side wheel arch.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Don,

here is the relevant diagram for an r20, your setup should be similar.

1976 16TS - Where to connect the hoses from/to the 'fuel vapour cannister'?-r20ausupp-019b.jpg

BTW, you'll find a bit of r16 data at Renault R-16 Parts Manual

cheers,
    Bob

Fellow Frogger!

Emissions control? is it possible to bin it and reclaim some horses?

Quote Originally Posted by dave_R16TS View Post
    Emissions control? is it possible to bin it and reclaim some horses?
    There is no point. The only emissions the carbon canister controls are vapour from the fuel tank, even though the activated charcoal in the canister is now likely saturated, it does still perform a function with dealing with the vapour from the tank. It has no effect on the performance of the car itself, and is best left in place.

As Sarosa has said, the small pipe will connect to the fuel lines going to and coming from the rear of the car, there will be one line from the tank to the fuel pump, another the fuel return line from the pump to the tank, and the third one from the carbon canister to the expansion tank at the rear.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarosa View Post
    Hi Don. I haven't had a '76 for a while now but from memory the thick black pipe goes from the charcoal canister to the carbie plastic cover and the smaller pipe attaches to a third steel fuel line. This third fuel line then runs with the other fuel lines beneath the car. The two petrol ones go to the tank while the third one goes to the expansion chamber inside your rear drivers side wheel arch.
    Thanks Sarosa. I traced the third line from the rear and sure enough it terminated hard against the bodyshell opposite the carby and out of sight to yours truly. So, the next job is to nut out which connections to the alternator go where. I assume that the largest terminal takes 2 connections.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks to Bob, Dave and Simon too.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Don,

the vapour control system is one of the good guys, benefits the atmosphere and your car.....

This oldie has a few words to say about emissions control https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20secrets.pdf

cheers,
    Bob

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the old information. It will certainly come in useful for my 20TS.

Thanks

David

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day David,

more useful old stuff in Download links for manuals, tech data etc to browse....

cheers,
    Bob

Thread Information