Scenic II sound system
  • Help

Default Scenic II sound system

We've taken the plunge and bought a 2005 Scenic. One clever car... the minor compromise is associated with the sound system. Does anyone know how to get it to talk to an iPod? It doesn't have an input jack that we can find.

The related question is whether anyone has retrofitted anything so as to allow an input signal into the system?

All ideas most welcome!

Advertisement

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    We've taken the plunge and bought a 2005 Scenic. One clever car... the minor compromise is associated with the sound system. Does anyone know how to get it to talk to an iPod? It doesn't have an input jack that we can find.

The related question is whether anyone has retrofitted anything so as to allow an input signal into the system?

All ideas most welcome!

Cheers
    I think you need one of these -

Renault Scenic Ipod Interface Adaptor Ipod Scenic | eBay

Yes.
    You can buy a connect2 if your head unit has the port for the multi stacker CD and use that to connect an iPod.
    Search for an old post of mine about fitting one to the Laguna. It's the same unit from memory. I gave mine to DRrenaultsport and he fitted it to his wife's scenic after I sold mine from memory.
    KB

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Yes.
    You can buy a connect2 if your head unit has the port for the multi stacker CD and use that to connect an iPod.
    Search for an old post of mine about fitting one to the Laguna. It's the same unit from memory. I gave mine to DRrenaultsport and he fitted it to his wife's scenic after I sold mine from memory.
    Many thanks to both of you. I saw that ebay item by chance, but don't see where I'd attach it. Where do I look for what exactly? That is "if your head unit has the port for ...." doesn't quite explain it to me. We have a single CD slot, but I'm not sure what the "head unit" is? Hasn't come down under my rock yet. I'll look at the thick instruction book again in the meantime.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Many thanks to both of you. I saw that ebay item by chance, but don't see where I'd attach it. Where do I look for what exactly? That is "if your head unit has the port for ...." doesn't quite explain it to me. We have a single CD slot, but I'm not sure what the "head unit" is? Hasn't come down under my rock yet. I'll look at the thick instruction book again in the meantime.
    It will have an empty Plug on the back of the head unit that would normally connect to the stacker or similar.

That is what the small square plug fits in to.

The other end goes to the box. There is a round din plug that goes from the box to the ipod plug.

You can hide the box under the dash somewhere and just run the ipod plug into the glovebox or center console.

This is a video showing where it all plugs in, but this is just for a jack adapter, so it doesn't have the box.

This image might make it a little clearer as to the different components -

I tried an XCarlink one, but sent it back as buggy an largely useless... Went with a Denison Gateway Lite BT - this has a bluetooth audio streaming function I use a lot and a phone function with a microphone I use very rarely!

Dearer, but depends if you just want to plug an iPod in and use the iPods own controls, or stream music off an iPhone and control it with the Renault's audio controls.

Thanks to everyone for such a useful and rapid set of responses. Obviously there are several options and we'll be able to worry our way through it all.

Isn't Aussiefrogs wonderful!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

John, look for my old post.
    Mistereno is correct but there are many head units with very similar sounding names so the only way to know is pop the unit out (using the special tool) and take a look at the back. A look at the manual may or may not help.

I could post my special tools over to you on a loan basis or give you basic dimensions to make your own from an old coat hanger or two. In the Laguna I tucked the connect2 down behind the console and ran the iPod cable though a spare din bucket that is spare on the Laguna if no navigation unit installed. You could run it into the glovebox also.
    KB

Bit of discussion on such things here as well https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/re...apter-aux.html

Lol that's my thread and I can say that I'm very happy with end result...
    The only thing it doesn't do is charge the iPhone! Took no time at all for a non-techie type person like myself to do. I made the special deck remover from a wire coat hanger...

John,
    We've got a 2007 dynamique as well. I've always thought the interior of the first series with the mechanics of the second series would be the best setup. The series two is good. Bit I liked some of the hidiholes of the series one - particularly the bottle pocket behind the rear seats.

I meant to say, your R8 doesn't have an iPod socket either does it!!??
    KB

There could be a bit of a trap here. This is a 22DC279 Philips radio/CD and they were used in lots of Renaults and all looked pretty much the same.
    They all have the CD changer sockets on the back for a Changer (they had a generic circuit board) but the socket is not live in all of them. If the radio has the word 'Expert' printed on the front then it will have a live socket, if not it probably won't work.
    Otherwise try pressing the SRC and see if you can get "AUX" to come up on the display.
    Also, the 'AUX' setting can be turned on or off when setting up the radio. Check your radio instruction book on how to do this.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    There could be a bit of a trap here. This is a 22DC279 Philips radio/CD and they were used in lots of Renaults and all looked pretty much the same.
    They all have the CD changer sockets on the back for a Changer (they had a generic circuit board) but the socket is not live in all of them. If the radio has the word 'Expert' printed on the front then it will have a live socket, if not it probably won't work.
    Otherwise try pressing the SRC and see if you can get "AUX" to come up on the display.
    Also, the 'AUX' setting can be turned on or off when setting up the radio. Check your radio instruction book on how to do this.

Cheers
    Ren
    Thanks for this. I don't see "Expert" on our radio. Do you mean that Aux, activitated, would make that socket live or that it would allow an input in some other way? One of the aftermarket devices I can see operates by applying an FM signal to the aerial side of the radio for example.

I'll read the manual carefully and find out what "SRC" does too. Happily we have all the manuals that should be with the car.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

You're just emularing a CD stacker as far as the headunit is concerned. Its either a very dumb one that only supplies an audio signal, or its a bit smarter and will accept play/pause/next track etc commands from the headunit. The really smart ones will do it by a bluetooth cocnection.

The FM types are just a small FM transmitter.
    Some don't have any physical connection to the radio and some patch through the aerial connector.
    You just tune one of the FM presets to the frequency of the FM device and it picks up the signal.
    The FM types are alledgedly inferior to the hardwired types but that could just by some hype put about by the people trying to sell the their particular connector.

The SRC button is the source button and scrolling through this should bring up the AUX if you have it and it set on.

3.pdf

The hard-wire units connect through plug/socket "C" which should be empty on your radio unless you have the CD changer fitted.

Cheers
    Ren.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

My Denison kit plays by Bluetooth, I am am to answer and disconnect calls from the head, as well as skip songs. As it's playing through the head I can change volume too.

This is what the expert looks like.Scenic II sound system-img-20130506-00887.jpg
    Otherwise the radio should have "Update List" on the front, if it's got "Tuner List" you'll probably be out of luck.

Ren

Are we talk the expert as in radio or person owning the finger in the pic??😜

Said finger belongs to an unknown person.
    The picture was blatantly stolen from the WWW to illustrate the point

Unfortunately my radio doesn’t have this feature so I wasn’t able to use the AUX socket.
    I found out all this information after I tried to hook everything up.

Cheers
    Ren

One question for JohnW - what trim level has he got - ie Expression; Dynamique etc
    That may give a clue as to whether it is likely to work or not. Generally speaking, the higher the trim level, the more likely this is to work.
    KB

John,
    We've got a 2007 dynamique as well. I've always thought the interior of the first series with the mechanics of the second series would be the best setup. The series two is good. Bit I liked some of the hidiholes of the series one - particularly the bottle pocket behind the rear seats.

I meant to say, your R8 doesn't have an iPod socket either does it!!??
    ROFL. However, Alex didn't see it quite that way. She says the Scenic is hers and whether the R8 has one or not doesn't bother her much!!

I can see pretty clearly what to do - and two u-loops of coathanger looks like the go with the radio removal.

Thanks again.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

One question for JohnW - what trim level has he got - ie Expression; Dynamique etc
    That may give a clue as to whether it is likely to work or not. Generally speaking, the higher the trim level, the more likely this is to work.
    I think it is an Expression. Fawn cloth trim, slightly worn. I know I should know.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thread Information