1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.

Tadpole

Default 1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.

Dear Renault lovers,

May I ask if you can help locate a particular gentleman and his vehicle for me? Around ten years ago I sold a Renault Fregate Grand Pavios to a chap perhaps 20 years older than me. He had wanted to do the car up and then he promised to return to show me the restored Renault Fregate Grand Pavois.

Readers you may well remember me as the 'pain' who was searching for a Grand Pavios!!! You may well remember me. I had been given my Pop's car when I was a teenager but was unskilled to repair it. I gave it to Peter Briggs York Motor Mueseum and years later I went to see it in York... only to be told it had been lost. I then when on a hunt to find the lost car and then received an altogether not to friendly demand from his lawyers to back off. As I had nothing to lose at that stage I served the correspondance back to his lawyers with politeness but with more heat than it arrived. Then all went deadly quiet, and guess what? The car had turned up in a Shed in the York town under huge amounts of other car parts and stuff! So I took it home. I was glad and I am still grateful he was generous to let me do that.

It was at that stage about ten years ago I sold it to a Perth chap who promised to restore it to its former glory.

The chap who purchased it from me had as a younger lad looked lovingly at the Renault Fregates in the Adelaide Tce Perth showroom back in the late 1950's and had always wanted one.

Advertisement

I think from memory he was living south of Perth, a caucasin chap, a very nice decent Australian chap, but I have lost his details, his contacts and even his name. I was hoping that someone may know him and be able to put us in touch.

much hope and prayers

cheers

peter schofield 0408 956 540

Here's a standard model just listed in Western Australia, it's not a Grand Pavois though.

1956 RENAULT FREGATE SEDAN in Keswick SA FOR SALE - Autotrader.com.au

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.-fb872e86-4c59-44b3-903e-b04dfb5e9f1c-atlg.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 9th May 2014 at 03:53 PM.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Here's a standard model just listed in Western Australia, it's not a Grand Pavois though.

1956 RENAULT FREGATE SEDAN in Keswick SA FOR SALE - Autotrader.com.au

Hooly dooly MG, that's not WA, that's across the road from my work! Might have to have a sticky beak on Monday
    cheers,

John

And I thought I saw a Fregate on a tilt tray on Richmond Rd the other day. Looks a good project.

Renault Fregate Sedan 1956 | Rainsfords Collectable Cars

1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Hooly dooly MG, that's not WA, that's across the road from my work! Might have to have a sticky beak on Monday

Oops, my mistake. Go get it J-man.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    And I thought I saw a Fregate on a tilt tray on Richmond Rd the other day. Looks a good project.

Renault Fregate Sedan 1956 | Rainsfords Collectable Cars

That'd be a ripper project for someone as it looks complete and hasn't ben pulled apart like mine was. Looks original as well..

1000+ Posts

Is that grill different to yours ,or is it just the pics ,pugs

It's the same, the light paint behind it at the ends makes it look odd.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    That'd be a ripper project for someone as it looks complete and hasn't ben pulled apart like mine was. Looks original as well..
    That's right, it looks like it has good bones from the pics. Though the previous owner must have liked getting cosy with the gatepost, the OSR door and guard look like they have been painted before, and the guard scraped again. Hopefully the stories behind the car come with it too.

From an SA point of view, it is a shame the original all number SA plate can't be retained on the car without incurring a minimum $4K price tag though.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

No doubt the more astute observers amongst us has noticed that the front left indicator lens is missing and as far as I know unobtainium, also the centre dash ornament is incorrect for this model, it's from an earlier one. I have the same problem with my Fregate, the centre ornament has disintegrated.

Without seeing under the bonnet it is difficult to say how complete this car is, but I would say it's a good car and well priced...(rust unknown)

I would also add that this car has been garaged well, I make this judgement on the good condition of the steering wheel and gear knob, most of the old French plastics didn't stand up to the Australian sun very well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.-ren56fdfb.jpg   1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.-ren56intf.jpg  

And look how nice it could be .....

1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.-image.jpg

Thanks Arto
    Last edited by J-man; 10th May 2014 at 03:49 PM.
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    And look how nice it could be .....

Attachment 56022
    Link doesn't work for me
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

I had a quick look at the car at Rainsfords today and confirmed it still has the authentic early Renault interior smell
    Some more pics and one of the dash grille for you MG. It's got its fair share of bumps, especially the right side. Right rear door has plenty of rust and sill panels rusty and bogged. It's certainly worth restoring still.

1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399869841.719225.jpg1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399869856.982685.jpg1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399869866.084384.jpg1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399869875.217738.jpg1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399869888.017173.jpg1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399869899.037805.jpg1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399869927.754028.jpg1957 Renault Fregate Grand Pavios - large luxury ship of the black top.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399869936.171344.jpg
    cheers,

John

Thread Information