• 3 Post By Graham17
  • 1 Post By Sarosa
  • 3 Post By dave_R16TS
  • 4 Post By Sarosa
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: My first post - my R16

Tadpole

Default My first post - my R16

I have recently achieved a long-held desire to get back into an old Renault and have managed to get this little beauty. !974, locally sold and kept R16Ts ( I think it is a Grande Luxe as it has a cigar lighter, lockable glove box, and padded cover over the storage bin between the front seats)
    The only issue is that some of the observant among you will spot something odd about the headlights - they are out of a Hillman Hunter!!
    Any advice about sourcing proper ones would be appreciated - I understand the same ones were used in the R10, R12 and the R16 so there should be a few around.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first post - my R16-cimg9323.jpg   My first post - my R16-cimg9324.jpg   My first post - my R16-cimg9325.jpg  
    addo, lozenge and J-man like this.

Beautiful! Keep it dry.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Looks like a beauty! Well done.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

You'll find that Lucas rectangular headlights were fitted as standard if you read far enough down the page. If you can find a set of Cibies, both headlamps and driving lamps, good luck to you. If you can find a set of "Kangarou" headlights, you've won the lottery!

https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/re...info-file.html
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Welcome aboard AF's, it looks a lovely car in a great combination of paint and trim. The Lucas headlights presently in the car are original, part of the Australian content equipment fitted between 1971 up to 1975. The 16TS manual trans cars were fitted with Australian VDO instruments, amongst all of the other Australian sourced equipment included in the range. The Lucas headlights could be changed with the Cibie lights, using the mounting frames from a Cibie equipped Renault 16, but if they still work I'd leave them in place, as finding good Cibie light units is starting to get difficult.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

That's a beauty. Sarosa on here will I'm sure be very helpful for odds and sods. There is also the R16 register which you should join. If you haven't already.

Brilliant car. Well done.

I take it that is the original paintjob?

If you want to find odd things for Renaults, go on spanish ebay. They have some of the most bizarre things popping up there. How's your spanish? Start with simple searches such as "renault 16" and perhaps "cibie". Soon you'll know what you need to focus the search further.

http://www.ebay.es/itm/RENAULT-10-12...49f1e36&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.es/itm/PHARE-HEADLIG...307fa63&_uhb=1

Both actually in France which of course was the obvious place to start.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Welcome to Aussie frogs, nicely set up car, use it and enjoy it.

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    are headlamps not specific for RHD and LHD?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham17 View Post
    I have recently achieved a long-held desire to get back into an old Renault and have managed to get this little beauty. !974, locally sold and kept R16Ts ( I think it is a Grande Luxe as it has a cigar lighter, lockable glove box, and padded cover over the storage bin between the front seats)
    The only issue is that some of the observant among you will spot something odd about the headlights - they are out of a Hillman Hunter!!
    Any advice about sourcing proper ones would be appreciated - I understand the same ones were used in the R10, R12 and the R16 so there should be a few around.
    Nice looking 16. I'd date it a 1973 model with those front seats, the decal on the boot lid and "Renault 16" on side back panel. The numbers on the identification plates in the engine bay will confirm. The front bumper overriders belong to a pre 1971 16, note they have a chrome strip on the top whereas on the back ones they don't (Back correct). Just wondering does it have the original dulux paint sticker still attached in the engine bay near the identification plates? If so what colour is it? As everyone has said, the Lucas headlights are correct. I have original mounting frames to convert to cibie if you want, but I'd stick with original unless the lucas fail a rego inspection or something. New Cibie's can be bought from Geert in the Netherlands for RHD easy enough.
    The wheels are also quite rare, being the Dunlop Alloy's, Nice.

The car is a 16TS, not a Grand Luxe (GL). The GL badge was only used on early, pre TS and TL's, Renault 16's with the 1470cc, 670-xx engine. (1965-1971).

PS: Was this the car that was going to be auctioned up at Bathurst a few years back along with lot's of R8 gordini stuff?
    Ron Boulton likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Some call him Sarosa, others call him The R16 Brains Trust.
    addo, J-man and DrRenaultsport like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_R16TS View Post
    Some call him Sarosa, others call him The R16 Brains Trust.
    No special skill. All the answers are hidden in my Renault 16 playing cards. A Game of Skill!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first post - my R16-r16-playing-cards.jpg  

Hey, where did you find those cards??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarosa View Post
    No special skill. All the answers are hidden in my Renault 16 playing cards. A Game of Skill!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarosa View Post
    Nice looking 16. I'd date it a 1973 model with those front seats, the decal on the boot lid and "Renault 16" on side back panel. The numbers on the identification plates in the engine bay will confirm. The front bumper overriders belong to a pre 1971 16, note they have a chrome strip on the top whereas on the back ones they don't (Back correct). Just wondering does it have the original dulux paint sticker still attached in the engine bay near the identification plates? If so what colour is it? As everyone has said, the Lucas headlights are correct. I have original mounting frames to convert to cibie if you want, but I'd stick with original unless the lucas fail a rego inspection or something. New Cibie's can be bought from Geert in the Netherlands for RHD easy enough.
    The wheels are also quite rare, being the Dunlop Alloy's, Nice.

The car is a 16TS, not a Grand Luxe (GL). The GL badge was only used on early, pre TS and TL's, Renault 16's with the 1470cc, 670-xx engine. (1965-1971).

PS: Was this the car that was going to be auctioned up at Bathurst a few years back along with lot's of R8 gordini stuff?
    Great information Sarosa! What a lovely 16TS, and with the alloy wheels to boot. Sigh.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMasefield View Post
    Hey, where did you find those cards??????
    I bought them about 10 years ago. They cost me about the same as the going rate for a tired 16 at
    the time :-).
    I put them in a safe place back then, and re-found them again last week! They are a complete 52 card deck with extra cards showing the various seating positions of the 16. They have 26 questions on the R16 and 26 answers on the remaining cards. On the back of each card is part of a photo of a 16. Put all the cards together and a photo of a 16 emerges. A bit like the old footy cars did from the 70's. From what I can gather they were an Australian only marketing exercise.

Sorry to Hi-jack your post a bit Graham17.

Fellow Frogger!

I reckon that you need more answer cards!

Sorry that should be:

The rest of US need more answer cards!

Quote Originally Posted by dave_R16TS View Post
    are headlamps not specific for RHD and LHD?
    As I recall on my 1969 R16 the Cibie headlight lenses were not asymmetric. As the globes had a shield in front of the low beam filament, the globe socket had a two position mounting, one for RHD and one for LHD which provided the correct cut-off, along with a manual external height adjustment for light load/heavy load. You could always tell if someone put a globe in wrong way around.....
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 7th May 2014 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Year incorrect...
    Ron Boulton likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tadpole

Thank you for the updated info - I do not know if it was the one you ask about but the chap I got it off was a Euro car nut - Citroen Deux Cheveaux, Lancia Flavia, DS19, Bimmer 2002 etc. I thought I had read somewhere that the presence of a cigar lighter, a lockable glovebox and bonnet, and a lid to the bin between the seat meant it was an upgraded TS - still new to this genre.
    The problem with the headlights is that they do not have mounting brackets and are just floating around loose-ish - one points up and another down and nothing obvious allows me to set or adjust them - the side levers are not there.
    Plate details are , in order from top to bottom - R1151 . 2 73B . 0254389086 and 2800753
    The car was sold in November 1974 to a guy on Lithgow, by Rosconi Motors. Speaking with the, now elderly salesman there, he recalls selling it.
    The vehicle has had $13K spent on full respray ( in the original colour, although the interior and bays are still a bit faded) full engine and suspension rebuild, new windscreen (which appears to leak into the glovebox and front foot-wells), wipers, head-lining, rear exhaust pipe and front chrome. I paid much less than half of that for her. She still has her original bookwork, cards, receipts and instruction manual, although the latter is a bit water damaged.
    The heater works unbelievably well - quite toastie after only five minutes running - great for our cold Bathurst weather, already two days with less than 7 degree maxima!

Keep it dry they don't like water! Those cards are a show stopper Steve....

The R1151 confirms it's a manual TS. The 2 73 confirms it's a 1973 model, (Feb 73). Not sure what the B means. The 280xxx figure places it as a 73 built car. Not sure why it wasn't sold from the dealership until Nov 74, maybe a demo/exec driven car? Maybe the salesman might remember? If that is the original colour and the trim looks red as well, it's a very unique looking 16, maybe a one off order that someone didn't like, then they couldn't move it? Who knows.

Re the lights, they do look a bit loose in the photo's. Check the top middle from inside the engine bay for the plastic adjuster. (often broken).
    1968 Renault 16
    1969 Renault 16TS
    1974 Renault 16TX
    2001 Renault RX4
    2013 Renault Megane

The original colour would likely be Scarlet Red - with Red trim. For Graham, there may still be the remnants of a metallic foil self adhesive label around the ID plates (Oval and Diamond plates) on the RH the inner wing, the name of the paint will be on that label.

Try French Connection in Airport West or Caravelle Imports in Box Hill to see if they have any NOS Lucas adjusters and thumb screw retaining nuts that locate the top of the light, the nylon adjuster block is part number 77 02 050 064, the nylon thumb nut is 77 02 062 772. If the actual adjuster screw is missing in the top hole of the frame is missing, that will be part number 77 02 062 468, with a plastic locator of 77 02 062 774 (alternative parts, screw 77 02 050 391 and locator 77 02 050 626).

Love those cards too Sarosa. A great little find!
    Last edited by Simon; 7th May 2014 at 11:36 PM.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thread Information