R8/10 Starter Cable
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: R8/10 Starter Cable

Default R8/10 Starter Cable

This is driving me crazy!
    Connecting the battery and the starter is a heavy duty cable that is covered in PVC sheath but the cable itself has some rubber tubing covering it assuming to protect it against stones, muck etc as it does travel under the car itself.
    The rubber tubing measures around 12mmID and wall thickness is around 2mm and is unreinforced.
    I have tried all the usual automotive rubber places (RSP, McKay, Repco, Bursons, Clark Rubber etc) but no luck.
    The best I can find is 10mm ID radiator overflow tubing, but I am concerned that the cable with PVC sheath is around 8-9mm and will be a struggle to pull it through (can do it with soap etc) but if I can find something with 12mm ID it would be better.
    I have found clear PVC tubing with 12mm ID and around 2mm wall thickness, as it is not rubber, may not be suitable.
    Can anyone point me to a suitable supplier of this rubber and confirm or otherwise if the clear PVC is suitable?
    Angelo

Advertisement

I used 12 or 16mm heater hose when I rebuilt my Floride, it's a bit thicker than original but at least you know it's never gonna abrade and short out, start a fire etc.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8/10 Starter Cable-battery-cable.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 5th May 2014 at 06:36 PM.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    I have found clear PVC tubing with 12mm ID and around 2mm wall thickness, as it is not rubber, may not be suitable.
    Clear PVC is definitely not suitable, as it gets quite soft as the temperature goes up. It also has poor resistance to oil, which causes it to become hard and ultimately brittle. Rubber is the only way to go. No need for it to be reinforced.

Pulling the cable through is indeed a cow of a job, but it's do-able. Can't remember the lubricant I used, possibly glycerine.
    1968 R8G 1300
    1965 R8G 1100
    1972 R12G
    1978 Virage
    1977 R12XL
    1971 R10
    1968 R10

Following Graham's lead I will investigate the use of water heater hose and was thinking about using liquid soap to pull through the cable. Will let everyone know how I go in the next week or so.
    finally got the R8 off the rotisserie and on wheels after nearly 3 years!

Fellow Frogger!

Default Air cleaner label

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of your air cleaner label and e-mail it to me, if that's not too much trouble. Alternatively, do you have a source for the actual label? Cheers Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by chris hartwell View Post
    Would it be possible for you to take a picture of your air cleaner label and e-mail it to me, if that's not too much trouble. Alternatively, do you have a source for the actual label? Cheers Chris.
    Hi Chris, I assume the question is directed at Pepster, as I do not intend to use an air cleaner, instead propose to use sox over trumpets on my webers.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I used 12 or 16mm heater hose when I rebuilt my Floride, it's a bit thicker than original but at least you know it's never gonna abrade and short out, start a fire etc.
    12mm heater hose worked a treat. Poured some hand wash liquid soap in the hose first and fed the cable in bit by bit. Will hope to fit this or next weekend.

Attachment 55951

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    12mm heater hose worked a treat. Poured some hand wash liquid soap in the hose first and fed the cable in bit by bit. Will hope to fit this or next weekend.

Attachment 55951
    Good work Angelo and it's nice and clean now too
    cheers,

John

Thread Information