RENAULT 10 Super
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By boleropilot

Thread: RENAULT 10 Super

Default RENAULT 10 Super

This is directed more to the S. Africans and ex. S. Africans on this forum, but who knows; there are many other knowledgeable Renault followers here.
    In 1969, I bought '67 R10, (round lights), 1108ccin Regal(dark) blue. It had an 8 port head and a 32dir Weber, but normal R10 dash panel, and standard cast iron ex. manifold. It was definitely a lot quicker than my buddies standard 8's and 10's. the salesman at the time said it was the SUPER model. It also had a different fuel pump.
    Does any body know of this model, or was this a one-off special. I've not seen or heard any other reference to it.

Advertisement

Regards, Henry

Sounds like the Australian locally assembled 10S, a normal R1190 body with 8S (8-port head, Weber 32DIR) running gear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RENAULT 10 Super-renault-10s-1970-page-1.jpg   RENAULT 10 Super-renault-10s-1970-page-2.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Maybe the SA equivalent. He did say it had the standard dash though.
    KB

1000+ Posts

On a related theme, has anyone got an R10 GT? It was a dealer special by, as I recall, John Ould Motors in Melbourne & had 13" alloy wheels with 155 Xas tyres, some minor engine modifications (no idea what) & a transverse leaf camber compensator (I bought the last two from "spare parts" decades ago for my mother's, now my, R8 & my 4CV).
    cheers! Peter

I think this is what you are talking about. Scanned from the 89/90 Auto Data Digest. Notably is the Weber mentioned but no increase in kW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RENAULT 10 Super-scan_pic0011.jpg  
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Hi Henry,
    My Girlfriend/Wife bought a second hand dark green one in Jo'burg in '69 as well, called a R10S. Had a white flash on the side and the previous owner had the roof sprayed white as well. A very good car and yes it was much faster than many other Renaults at the time, except the Alconis. They were that much faster again. The car went to Rhodesia when she came up to stay with me, and we got many a long distance trip with it. But funny we always used the R4 for trips to South Africa, as it had the extra space in the back, and traveled as fast as the R10S.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    I think this is what you are talking about. Scanned from the 89/90 Auto Data Digest. Notably is the Weber mentioned but no increase in kW.
    Interesting. What I find weird is the myriad of other detailed changes.
    cheers! Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RENAULT 10 Super-scan_pic0011.jpg  

g'day, found this thread while researching info about my R10 - it has rectangular headlights and a S dashboard, with the standard Solex carb - I have managed to source a 10S head (now reconditioned), 32 Weber, and inlet/exhaust manifolds. the gear came with some other nice bits, including a dash cover that goes over the main instruments - btw, the tacho is Moon brand.

interesting that with the 10S gauge setup there are no engine gauges - I'm going to buy a set of three VDOs to match the speedo and fuel gauge and mount them on a panel in front of the passenger - I think some cars have a small glove box there, mine has a radio mount.

the paint was originally the very beautiful Bordeaux Red but the cruel Oz sun has turned it to Matt Mission Brown - I'm going to take the bonnet off and get it cut and polished to see what it comes up like, it might look quite nice....maybe

BP
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    On a related theme, has anyone got an R10 GT? It was a dealer special by, as I recall, John Ould Motors in Melbourne & had 13" alloy wheels with 155 Xas tyres, some minor engine modifications (no idea what) & a transverse leaf camber compensator (I bought the last two from "spare parts" decades ago for my mother's, now my, R8 & my 4CV).
    cheers! Peter
    Rob Sealey had a 10GT before he went upmarket. He might know what happened to it...
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thread Information