Brian the 4CV is back!!
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Brian the 4CV is back!!

  1. #1
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,636

    Default Brian the 4CV is back!!

    Some of you may recall my story about a yellow 52 4CV my Dad bought me from the auction for $70 when I was 9 back in 1977. I was already addicted to Renaults from Dads Dauphine he used to have (before he dumped it )

    Anyway, I sold it stupidly when I was 12 to buy my next car. As time went on I regretted selling the 4CV and 26 years later I actually bought it back off the same guy, now with R10 front & rear suspension & disc brakes, R10 gear box with bell housing & input shaft for 16TS engine plus front mount radiator. It was a long way off finishing with a lot of rust repairs done but still a huge amount of work needed to finish it.

    Regrettably I had to sell it several years later as money was tight at the time. Again a few years past with me wishing I hadn't sold it but a few weeks ago I thought I'd ring the guy I sold it too to see if I could buy the R10S inlet manifold that I threw in with the sale for use on Clive the R10 with his recently sourced 4 into 1 extractors. Well one thing led to another and Brian the yellow 4CV is back from Melbourne and in my shed with Clive where he belongs

    It's exactly as it was when I sold it to the guy, so it still needs an enormous amount of work, but my 17TL engine is still sitting in it and the twin side draft Webers are still with it, so now I just need to find time to work on it.

    Here's some happy snaps of it when I was a spoilt whipper snapper back in 77 and pics of it back in the shed tonight.

    Brian the 4CV is back!!-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1398867987.299754.jpg

    Brian the 4CV is back!!-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1398868021.466248.jpg

    Brian the 4CV is back!!-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1398868037.399650.jpg

    Brian the 4CV is back!!-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1398868050.985437.jpg

    Advertisement
    cheers,

    John

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts Frans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    Now that is a good move!!
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

  3. #3
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,977

    Default

    With all those mechanical modifications Brian would go like the clappers when fully sorted, and I for one can't wait to see the transformation. As the story has a lot of depth so far it is only fitting that Brian stays with you for ever.

    Well done and good luck.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

  4. #4
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Nice pick-up! Though check on the legalities of using the 17 motor, it may not be allowed in SA if the car hasn't been legitimately registered in the past with it in place.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Nice pick-up! Though check on the legalities of using the 17 motor, it may not be allowed in SA if the car hasn't been legitimately registered in the past with it in place.
    Yes, you're quite right Simon, it'll need request for approval in principal and full regency. It may not be allowed in which case I have a 10S engine to get it registered with and then consider options after that.
    cheers,

    John

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    What good news! Do whatever it takes to get it registered & hopefully we'll see it at the 4CV muster next Easter.

    My 4CV has very radical modifications as you may know, & when I sent the "in principle" application in to the Tasmanian authorities, I accompanied the form with an essay of a few pages making the point that, apart from the body, what I was doing was cognate to what Renault & Alpine had themselves done. If you think that it would be of the slightest use or interest for you to read it, then send me a PM with your regular email address & even if I can't find the electronic file, I can always scan a hard copy.

    cheers! Peter

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,636

    Default

    Thanks Peter, PM sent
    cheers,

    John

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! R8philSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vista SA
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Fantastic John. I reckon this little darling would go like the proverbial.

    Can't wait to see it.

    Phil

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,425

    Default

    If you sell it again, we'll keel you!! ; )
    KB


  10. #10
    Member markb2501's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Croydon NSW
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Good score, well done on getting back, again...

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,636

    Default

    I sent in the application to modify a motor vehicle today. Let's see what the party-poopers have to say on Monday or whenever they get to respond. I aimed high with the 17TL engine including the Webers and figure they'll either appreciate my need for induction roar or say "pull your head in son, standard down draft for you" or may even say a big no to the 1600 altogether. I've got some pretty ugly work to do to the body too which was one of the reasons why I quit it last time but this time I've committed to sorting its demons. I'd really like to replace the left B-pillar which had been damaged & poorly repaired but not sure how I'll go sourcing one. I'd prefer to change the sill panels too which have been welded up to repair rust but it's not the neatest job. I'm going to have to learn some metal repair/fab skills I think.
    cheers,

    John

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,425

    Default

    I'd be surfing the net to see if any european suppliers like frandose can supply replacement sills, b pillar etc.
    I have a NOS B pillar off an R8 in the shed that includes the sills etc so they used to be available for that model, maybe you might get lucky.
    KB


  13. #13
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I'd be surfing the net to see if any european suppliers like frandose can supply replacement sills, b pillar etc.
    I have a NOS B pillar off an R8 in the shed that includes the sills etc so they used to be available for that model, maybe you might get lucky.
    The first guy I sold it too that did all the mods added a strip of steel to the inside of the B pillars from top to bottom (he said they were weak here) but somehow the door hinges aren't in the right spot causing the doors to not sit right against the body. It's worse on the left one because that'd had a hit at some stage in its early life.
    cheers,

    John

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    The first guy I sold it too that did all the mods added a strip of steel to the inside of the B pillars from top to bottom (he said they were weak here) but somehow the door hinges aren't in the right spot causing the doors to not sit right against the body. It's worse on the left one because that'd had a hit at some stage in its early life.
    When doing my 4CV we found the base of the A-pillars a mess. (This was despite me buying it at eight years old & from the original Adelaide owner in 1968 & promptly squirting fish oil everywhere I could. Mind you, the problems took 30 years or so to develop.) Basically the bottom of the A-pillar region & a bit of sill was cut out &, while the hole was there, a curved J-cum-L shaped bit of square section tubing was threaded in (going about half way up the A-pillar & a bit along the sill & welded to what was there) & then new metal welded in to plate over the hole.

    cheers! Peter

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    When doing my 4CV we found the base of the A-pillars a mess. (This was despite me buying it at eight years old & from the original Adelaide owner in 1968 & promptly squirting fish oil everywhere I could. Mind you, the problems took 30 years or so to develop.) Basically the bottom of the A-pillar region & a bit of sill was cut out &, while the hole was there, a curved J-cum-L shaped bit of square section tubing was threaded in (going about half way up the A-pillar & a bit along the sill & welded to what was there) & then new metal welded in to plate over the hole.

    cheers! Peter
    Thanks Peter, did you have any rust in the C-pillar along the roof gutter line at the end where the bonnet meets? Without a hoodlining in mine, you can see from inside the roof condensation could run down the back and sides of the roof and just sit there on bare metal in the C-pillar where mine has rusted through, like this ....

    Brian the 4CV is back!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399114539.736013.jpg
    cheers,

    John

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Thanks Peter, did you have any rust in the C-pillar along the roof gutter line at the end where the bonnet meets? Without a hoodlining in mine, you can see from inside the roof condensation could run down the back and sides of the roof and just sit there on bare metal in the C-pillar where mine has rusted through, like this ....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399114539.736013.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	55781
    nope
    but while mentioning gutters, we have on a few occasions over the years smoothed goop along the gutter to ensure that water flows along it.
    and, while mentioning the roof, I got the headling replaced by a sort of felt stuff glued to the roof.
    cheers! Peter

  17. #17
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    ........ rust in the C-pillar along the roof gutter line at the end where the bonnet meets?
    That is a fairly common rot spot, check the skin underneath, in extreme cases it rusts through as well. It is probably worth checking all the chassis rails too as they generally rust from the inside out.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  18. #18
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    That is a fairly common rot spot, check the skin underneath, in extreme cases it rusts through as well. It is probably worth checking all the chassis rails too as they generally rust from the inside out.
    Yes, mine (1951) is a bit rusty in exactly those A pillar places if you look closely.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  19. #19
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Some of you may recall my story about a yellow 52 4CV my Dad bought me from the auction for $70 when I was 9 back in 1977. I was already addicted to Renaults from Dads Dauphine he used to have (before he dumped it )

    ....but a few weeks ago I thought I'd ring the guy I sold it too to see if I could buy the R10S inlet manifold that I threw in with the sale for use on Clive the R10 with his recently sourced 4 into 1 extractors. Well one thing led to another and Brian the yellow 4CV is back from Melbourne and in my shed with Clive where he belongs
    That is fantastic news! Well done - what do they say? "Fortune favours the prepared mind."

    Quite a blast from the past it must be. I remember getting ours back from Birdwood Mill in 1989 after not seeing it for a decade.

    Cheers
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I remember getting ours back from Birdwood Mill in 1989 after not seeing it for a decade.
    Well now you mention that John, I reckon I can say that I've seen your car in the flesh then. I remember the only time I've been through the Birdwood Mill which was many years ago getting very excited to see they had a blue 4CV. I even bought a slide picture of it. Remember the old slide nights with the family?
    cheers,

    John

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,636

    Default

    I've never been 100% sure what year my 4CV is. Does anyone care to have a shot at decoding my plate numbers? Simon or Bob maybe?

    Brian the 4CV is back!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399172286.137619.jpgBrian the 4CV is back!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399172303.671797.jpgBrian the 4CV is back!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399172311.488207.jpg

    Thanks in advance
    cheers,

    John

  22. #22
    1000+ Posts FIVEDOOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Qld
    Posts
    21,083

    Default

    This may be of interest to you J-man

    http://www.4cvregisteraustralia.org/...ionAyellow.htm
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    This may be of interest to you J-man

    http://www.4cvregisteraustralia.org/...ionAyellow.htm
    Thanks Arto, I might have to get Brian onto that register!
    cheers,

    John

  24. #24
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Does anyone care to have a shot at decoding my plate numbers?
    How odd, but I'll have a stab. Both the chassis number 2026370 and Oval Plate number 333877 decode as 1954 model year (October 1953 onwards).

    Odd because it has the earlier six-bar front end, so it has probably led an active live in its past, but it is still good for it to have survived. Does it have the demister slots at the bottom corners of the front windscreen? The RVS prefix SA rego points to a re-registration date of circa September 1972.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  25. #25
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,636

    Default Brian the 4CV is back!!

    Thanks Simon, no it doesn't have the demister slots. It "had" battery in front, horn between battery & opening in front guards, horizontally mounted swing up spare wheel, flat dash with central cluster with wings, lever starter behind hand brake, choke lever at base of gear stick, cursive Renault badge on bonnet & trunk, Dauphine style horn/headlight switch on column, steering lock etc.
    Does that help?
    Last edited by J-man; 4th May 2014 at 07:43 PM.
    cheers,

    John

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •