Scenic info
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Scenic info

Fellow Frogger!

Default Scenic info

I have looking into obtaining a early 2000s 2wd manual Scenic and wondered if any past or present owner could give me a reasonably accurate idea of fuel consumption.I live in a village in Central West of NSW and normal trips are at least 50km at around 100 kmh and little or no city driving.Also were there any or many 1.6 Scenics sold in Aus and if so how do they compare to the 2.0 version? Any other pertinent info would be appreciated.
    Regards Dennis

Advertisement

Hello Dennis,

I've got a 2 litre auto and around town I get around 10.4litres/100km and about 7.4litres/100km on the highway.
    (Don't you love trip computers).
    I don't consider the town fuel consumption to be particularly good for a 2 litre but I do mostly short trips that are a mix of highway and built-up areas. The highway consumption is okay.

I've never driven the 1.6 litre Scenic but the 2 litre isn't a ball of fire so I'd expect the 1.6 version to be a bit sluggish.
    But if you're doing highway crusing most of the time it will probably be okay once you're up to speed and the fuel economy should be much better in a 1.6 litre manual than a 2 litre auto.
    All 1.6 litre Scenic's were manual only so if you were after an auto you'd need to go to the 2 litre.
    (there was a 1.4 litre version sold overseas, fortunately if never made it to Australia. I think it would have been a real slug unless the gearbox was tailored to suit.)

The 1.6 litre version was only sold here for a couple of years and then it was dropped.
    I don't know that actual ratio but I expect the vast majority of Scenic's sold here were 2 litre.
    I'm sure there are others on this forum that can give actual numbers of 1.6 and 2 litre versions sold but I would guess around 80% or more were 2 litre.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

We have a two ltr manual 2WD and highway cycle (loaded to the top!) still returned around 6-6.5 l/100 kms. The manual goes far better than the auto and will hit the hills in 5th (wifey hates shifting down...). The manual is far more a ball of fire. Renault knows how to get every last bit of oomph from a cc.

Quote Originally Posted by markb2501 View Post
    We have a two ltr manual 2WD and highway cycle (loaded to the top!) still returned around 6-6.5 l/100 kms. The manual goes far better than the auto and will hit the hills in 5th (wifey hates shifting down...). The manual is far more a ball of fire. Renault knows how to get every last bit of oomph from a cc.
    I was thinking that too. I've never jumped in a scenic and thought it's got no power. I've driven autos manual and 4wd and they always seen pretty impressive to me for What they are.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

When pottering around Adelaide, I get around 9's. On a longer run, it will drop in to the mid 7's! I've never found the car to be lacking in power. Might have to stir it a bit when fully loaded, but I wouldn't call it underpowered by any means!

I wouldn't bother with a 1.6. For what you lose spec wise + 2.0 are bargain basement!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks to all for the responses.I will probably see if I can sell my Berlingo and track down a cheapish Scenic. My goal is to get a vehicle that will replace the Berlingo and my wifes Clio so I don't feel guilty about my BMW F650. It is a bit of a luxury having 3 registered vehicles for 2 people on the pension.
    Regards Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by markb2501 View Post
    Wow 6-6.5l/100kms, I'd kill for those sorts of figures.

The DP0 auto box has a lock-up torque converter so once it's in top gear there shouldn't be any transmission losses so the consumption shouldn't be that far different from a manual on the highway. I find the motor is running at just under 3000RPM on 110kmh. Around town, yes the manual would crap all over the auto for fuel consumption. I don't drive specifically for economy but am not a leadfoot and think my consumption figures are on the high side.

Maybe it's just my car but it's done less than 100,000kms and just had new plugs, coils, TDC sensor and the timing adjusted recently so I expect that's as good as it gets.
    But I am running on 95 octane, maybe if I change to 98 octane I might squeeze a few more ponies out of the girl.

I spent most of the last 10 years driving a 6 cylinder car with a much better power to weight ratio than the Scenic so perhaps my expectations are a bit clouded.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

don

Had my scenic 2WD 2.litre JA13 manual for a year now, Drive it as a KS car for work 70KS from Newcastle to Broke and back every week.

With the new Hunter Bypass open and the speed limit at 110 Ks Im getting just under 7 L/100ks. (98 ron) The power to weight ratio makes these vehicles in the 2ltr version quite responsive and its a very comfortable ride.

My only criticism would be that engine noise levels are a little excessive.

Thread Information