Caravelle painting
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Caravelle painting

Fellow Frogger!

Default Caravelle painting

Can anyone tell me whether the underside of the Caravelle is painted bodycolour or satin black? I realise the engine compartment is bodycolour, but what about the spare wheel cradle and floor etc? Also under the guards. Your informed opinions would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Go a Pro Hart explosion of colour.....if the car goes turtle it's a pretty picture for the News.
    Brendan.

Body colour for the underside of the body, guards, inner floor and spare wheel carrier.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I've posed this question in the past and the popular opinion seems to be bodycolor. I did mine with underbody spray and satin black over for good measure.

I don't think it really matters which way you go personally.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I've posed this question in the past and the popular opinion seems to be bodycolor. I did mine with underbody spray and satin black over for good measure.

I don't think it really matters which way you go personally.
    I agree! The body colour in those areas was more like over spray than painted body colour. I'd either paint it body colour but do it properly or just practical black as per MG (59 Floride) which looks good anyway.
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

My Floride S is original and is satin black underneath. There is a heavy bituminous body spray on the inner guards in the easily sprayed areas and just a light coat of satin black paint every where else. This has been discussed on the French forum many times and has always been declared to be satin black with a small amount of body colour over spray near the guards and sills. (Over the satin black.) The under coat on my car is oxide red. The body colour paint often misses areas on the body such as behind the doors where they hinge. (On my car it is missed on the right but is ok on the left.) I have noticed other places that are difficult to get at as well such as behind the wiring clips in the engine bay. The panels in the engine bay that are black are shiny black but do not have UV protection paint, and so only those parts protected from light such as against the fuel tank remain shiny. The other places turn to satin black over the years. I am not sure about the spare tyre carrier and my car is on loan to a French couple doing RMDU Tour so I cannot check tonight. From memory under the dash is only undercoated but I may be wrong. I think they were fairly economical with the top coats. On my hard top you can now see where the spray guns have left only a light coat. It was sprayed across the top from one side to the other not length ways.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Caravelle painting

Thanks for the informative reply, that's what I needed to know. Much appreciated.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    Go a Pro Hart explosion of colour.....if the car goes turtle it's a pretty picture for the News.
    Brendan.
    G'day,

with the words...

"PLEASE TURN OVER"

regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Thread Information