Strange behaving reverse Lights on Fuego
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Strange behaving reverse Lights on Fuego

Default Strange behaving reverse Lights on Fuego

Hello all
    Have been assisting Lachlan with his Fuego (getting ready for Road worthy on Monday) and the reverse lights are doing some strange things - despite a partial re-wire and full contact clean.
    The problem; When we put the car in reverse the reverse lights illuminate after about 1 minute. then they it is OK for a while if you keep putting the car in and out of reverse - the lights come on after about half a second delay. However if the the car sits for a short period of time (10 to 15 mins) it then takes a minute or so for them to illuminate again.
    We have replaced the reverse switch that is located in the gearbox, but it has not made a difference.

Any thought/ideas appreciated
    Regards

Advertisement
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

1000+ Posts

My guess would be either the sliders on the light circuit cards ( usually clean copper strip and put some contact enhancer on the copper path) or the actual contact between the globe holder and return of the circuit at the contact or side of the globe- the old plastic in the tail light circuit cards is pretty crumbly too, so the contacts don't contact properly, also with the sliders, the recommended adjustment for better slider to contact fit is to put a new piece of flat thin foam below the copper circuit to ensure better contact with the slider.

ken

Hi Ken
    Yes, that does make sense. Usually the lights will come on if I slide the contact off and on the copper strips on the lights. I have cleaned the copper strips, but think that your idea of a thin foam insert may help - we will try it and see how it goes.
    Thanks Ken - much appreciated.
    Cheers - Luke

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu 25 View Post
    Hi Ken
    Yes, that does make sense. Usually the lights will come on if I slide the contact off and on the copper strips on the lights. I have cleaned the copper strips, but think that your idea of a thin foam insert may help - we will try it and see how it goes.
    Not a fan of bullying the joint with anything.

I use 400 grit on the copper, clean the bejesus out of the plug then re assemble with copious amounts of vasso.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu 25 View Post
    Hi Ken
    Jo's fix will work too, the foam strip is the Factory manual recommended fix, you can use that adhesive single or double sided foam tape and on the double sided just leave the shiny unpeeled strip to lift the back of the printed circuit. If you are good with using a fine soldering iron, you can just wipe a smear of solder on the copper contact and that enhances the pressure contact with the spring loaded contacts in the sliding part, these often get quite hot and collapse or just lose spring with age!!

Funny thing Renault still persist with similar spring loaded contact surfaces in tail lamps and as contact is lost in service the connection burns itself out.

Jo's vasso is cheaper than the contact enhancer stuff I use and probably does the same job.

The main thing is to work out what suits you and does the job to your satisfaction!!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post

Jo's vasso is cheaper than the contact enhancer stuff I use and probably does the same job.

The main thing is to work out what suits you and does the job to your satisfaction!!

Ken
    Vaso is good for wet areas that dont get super hot, as it stays on for decades and keeps protecting from moisture.

As the rear lights are a wet zone, vaso realy is at its best in that location. (not saying it is better)

My experience with rear lights is try a bit, but dont go to too much effort, especialy with tooth picks and the like.
    For starters, sooner or later you'll need to pull off the plugs, which makes any jury rig useless, and really if the plugs and boards dont work, they probably never will and belong in the bin.

I've seen binned plugs where someone has tried to tweek them and by doing so has put the pins out of whack.
    Even had one of these dodgy-pinned plugs wreck a perfectly good light board because some pr#ck had done the above and cut down the pin. Grrrr

If it doesn't work, and it sounds like it does not, replace it with newer or better part.
    Thats the only solid way to deal with this issue short of hard wiring all the terminals. In another 10 years that is probably what it will come to as the light board turns to dust.

Jo

hi guys, thanks all for the advice

after trying everything you guys recommended, still no reverse lights

it turns out i was nothing to do with the lights or wiring. figured that because of the delay it had to be something to do with the switch. we then found out that when the car was not in reverse the ball on the switch was being pressed in. when the car was put into reverse the ball was being released. we pulled out the switch out of the gearbox and tested when the lights came on and there was no delay from when the switch was being released to when the lights come on. this ruled out wiring or switch issues. the problem lied in the gearbox, when put into reverse the gearbox was not releasing the ball on the switch far enough to where the lights came on. i backed out the switch from the gearbox a few turns and sure enough the lights came on straight away.

went and got a thin copper washer from supercheap and tightened up the switch.

i guess the switch on the earliar fuego's was slightly longer to the ones on the later ones

at least all the contacts and wiring are very clean

lachlan
    1985 renault fuego 2.0L injection
    1984 renault fuego gtx

Well who'd have thought..

Well done, Lachlan

Jo

Does anyone know if the brake lights are meant to come on when the ignition is not dwitched on?

COL

If they are like all my other Renaults, the ignition switch needs to be on for the brake lights to work, and also the brake pedal depressed.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Yes, i thought as much. Thanks Col.
    Cheers - Luke

1000+ Posts

Glad you worked out the problem and fixed it. I have been away for a few days, you had me completely fooled in that you posted from the outset that you had checked the reversing switch, as that is another obvious point of elimination.

The only other puzzling gremlin seems to come about when the rest of the wiring gets wet, like the wiper motor and you get odd feedbacks into the circuits. Still all of them get solved by some patience and a whole heap of checking and re-checking.

I need to pull out the under dash circuit board, on mine, as I am just recently getting some intermittent power loss to dashboard components. Most likely fuse and soldering problems as a light tap of the dash restores the feed to some of the instruments. Annoying, but not impossible to live with!!

ken

That is what had us fooled as well - for many days I might add. We had the reverse light switch out and tested it and it was fine. Then we connected the reverse lights to the switch and the lights came on immediately. So we knew it was not the circuit from the switch to the rear tail lights. I got under the car and asked Lachlan to put the box in reverse. With the switch removed from the box I stuck my pinkie in and I could just feel that the part of the gearbox that releases the ball on the end of the switch was there. That is where we came up with the idea of adding a thin washer - just to bring the switch back out from teh box enough to allow the ball to fully release. That solved it - with many cheers and air dogs!!

We now have one more thing to fix - that is the very dim right hand brake light. No matter how much cleaning I do there seems to be a resistance. The light is very dim and casued the road worthy to fail on Monday - I was hoping it may get through.
    Any ideas?
    I am currently looking for a new set of read circuit boards for these lights.
    regards
    Cheers - Luke

1000+ Posts

My own thoughts are towards LED displays tailored to the rear lights. The other thought is to provide a better feed line to the rear electrics with some of the large soft copper wiring they use in audio work and the use modern relays to work their magic.

With the development and progress with LED lighting, it should not be long before a suitable insert becomes available for adaptation or maybe even one designed to replace essential parts of the rear light exterior display. The slider system crossover point is definitely out of date technology.

I guess it will be all worked out by the application of good minds, circuits and "electrickery" technology!!

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

I'm with Ken, there are too many plugs 'n sockets on the cars of this era, the Fug is not alone. Relays cure many ills and are cheap 'n easy techno.

Follow the cables back to their common point and fix the plug/socket. Most of these are for ease of assembly line and the best fix for them is to hard wire the mongels. If you need the plug/socket then it's a clean & vaso, a la Jo

The fuses are also a PITA, I changed all mine for normal glass fuses and resoldered the panel along with LED tell-tales to tell you which fuse had died. Thread was here in olden times but may have disappeared in the great upheaval....

cheers
    Bob

ps: fuse board fix thread was #66112.....
    Last edited by bob; 16th April 2014 at 02:11 PM.

Thread Information