Compression test on an R12 engine
  • Help

Default Compression test on an R12 engine

On the week end I am going run a compression test on my 842-01 R12 engine in the rear end of the R10 I have just purchased.
    Based on earlier post and responses from fellow froggers the engine could be a 1251 cc or as advised would have been resleeved by now one would think - making this a 1289 cc .
    Not sure if the head has been shaved as there is no real history on the motor other than the previous owner had the head Gasket replaced not so long ago.

Does any one know what PSI these engines 1251cc and 1289 cc would return from new. I also assume the compression ratios would be different in both from new.

Advertisement

I just want to get an idea of this engines current compression Values PSI across all 4 cylinders and compare this to what it would have been from new..

I get that the PSI number would be lower but am hoping they are all pretty close on the PSI values...

Thanks Rob

Given the age the head could have been shaved a few times, so hard to say. In standard form 145-155 PSI would be around the mark. It is more important that it is fairly even and around 10 PSI spread across the cylinders would be acceptable on a used motor.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Thanks Alan at lest I have valid psi to confirm the state of its compression.

Thread Information