Liner seals
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Liner seals

Fellow Frogger!

Default Liner seals

Looking for liner seals for Renault 1565cc 77mm bore. Who would be most likely to stock these locally rather than looking overseas?

Advertisement

Administrator

I have a set of liner seals here that have the number 016048Z on the packet.

They are in three different thicknesses. Made of a white paper like material.

Not sure whether they are from a R12 or R15/16/17 (I think the 807 motors are all the same?).

Do you have the inner dimension of the seal?

They are free if they are correct.

Fellow Frogger!

No luck so far with the part number but found that the liner seals are 82mm diameter. If they are that size I am interested.

Now where is Simon when you need him???

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Now where is Simon when you need him???
    Not needed in this case, as I can't really help. Officially the liner seals were supplied with the piston liner kit, and weren't available as a separate Renault part, so there wasn't a Renault part number. My suggestion would be to try French Connection or Caravelle, they would likely have plenty of spare sets of liner seals from opened gasket sets. The liner base diameter for a 15/16/17 is 82.5mm, so the liner seals would likely have an inner diameter of close size.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I bought two sets of 16 liner seals from Caravelle only yesterday. $11 Each plus freight.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

I was wondering what type of material the lower liner seals were actually made of and why they could not be constructed at a local vinyl sign shop that does lettering they would have the equipment to actually cut any shape required . The reason I am asking is that I have enlarged the base holes on my 810 block to accept a larger 1397 piston sleeve kit. I turned down the 1397 sleeves to the R8G liner sizes so I can still use the flat style gasket for the base of the sleeves. I am hoping to be able to just use something that is easily obtainable,cheap and will work with out going abroad to get them .

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Manic gt.
    Last edited by manicgt; 17th April 2014 at 12:41 AM. Reason: grammer and spelling

I think the best way would be get some shim brass or copper and cut some with a pair of scissors. if you use vinyl or the wrong sort of paper they would probably discolve from the heat and/or oil contamination.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Manicgt, I haven't used liner seals in the last 30 or so years for the flat type liners. Not o-ring type. All you do is to insert the liners into the block, put a straight edge across the block and with a feeler gauge check how much below the deck is the liner or liners. Add about 5 thou to that reading so that you do get the required protrusion and obtain shimstock of the appropriate thickness and cut them yourself. I have a divider that I use and the one leg/tip is grinded in such a way that it is similar to a cutter you would use in a lathe. It has a very small tip grinded like a parting tool. Go round and round a few times and when you put a pair of snips on it the tin snips sort of follows the groove that you made with the divider. Easy!
    Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Default liner seals

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Manicgt, I haven't used liner seals in the last 30 or so years for the flat type liners. Not o-ring type. All you do is to insert the liners into the block, put a straight edge across the block and with a feeler gauge check how much below the deck is the liner or liners. Add about 5 thou to that reading so that you do get the required protrusion and obtain shimstock of the appropriate thickness and cut them yourself. I have a divider that I use and the one leg/tip is grinded in such a way that it is similar to a cutter you would use in a lathe. It has a very small tip grinded like a parting tool. Go round and round a few times and when you put a pair of snips on it the tin snips sort of follows the groove that you made with the divider. Easy!
    Frans
    Frans do you coat the brass with anything or just install ? ie silicone or a gasket spray ?

Manic gt

I smear a thin layer of silicone on the base, put the shim on and another thin layer silicone on top of that. I do it really thin because when you insert the liner the silicone will disperse from underneath to virtually nothing, only filling in the impurities. All it needs to do is keep hot water (80 deg C or 180 deg F) out at a maximum pressure of 15 psi. Anything more goes out by the pressure cap.
    Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

This is the way I had some made by the late Owen Wuillemin - except he over-engineered a fixture to turn and bore the shim brass.

His recommendation on sealant was ThreeBond 1211 for the exact reason of minimal film thickness you describe.

Very elegant Frans. NIce thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Frans
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information