mouldy smell
  • Help

Thread: mouldy smell

Default mouldy smell

Its been a bit wet lately and the rx4 has developed a few new smells.

The worst was the microfibre window cloth in the door pocket that got soaked when I left the window open.
    Must have had something on it to go that bad.

The vent was blowing the typical smell you get from bad smelling vents, so decided to open up some covers and take a look.

The front airbox was dry as a bone, but very very dusty so I cleaned all that back to 'as new', taking care to not spill water in the spark plug tubes.

Next on the list was the pollen filter.
    Boy was that dirty, and full of leaf debris from a species I dont have, so I'd say it has been a while since it got changed.
    Not having a spare on hand, I washed it, dried it, glen20'd the bejesus out of it and shoved it back.

What is left to smell bad, the AC housing itself???

Is there anything I can do to get into that without removing the dash, or is it simply a matter of making sure the drain holes are flowing, and spraying a bit of glen20 into the air inlet??

Jo

Advertisement

There forms a deposit inside the aircon housing, a sort of sooty layer that only comes off with hot water, detergent and scrubbing. I think it's fine particles bonded with oily vapour from the polypropylene, and I believe it can host microbes. All the sprays do is kill living stuff inside this layer and add a masking scent.

FWIW lift the carpet and check it's dry.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    FWIW lift the carpet and check it's dry.
    It will be as dry as I'd expect it to be after leaving the door open during a deluge.

You'd expect modern suv carpets to have a skinned underside though so hopefully water has not seeped down to the floor.
    The thing is, no odour is obvious when the vent is 'Off', it's just sometimes smells when the vent first starts up.

Would anyone know how the climate control reads cabin temp???

Was hoping there is a sensor somewhere which can get dusted off.
    Sometimes, and not very often you get in the car and the climate control blasts hot air out in spite of it not being needed.

I wonder if this is something that could be reduced by doing something like cleaning, or if it is a normal function of early climate control systems??

Jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Jo,

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    .......Sometimes, and not very often you get in the car and the climate control blasts hot air out in spite of it not being needed......

Jo
    The BA has done this to me a couple of times and it is not supposed to have any sexy climate control system, you know the heater is on cos you get the typical start up heater hot smell.

I don't suppose that this is the smell you are getting ?

cheers,
    Bob

It's probably waiting for a stable response from the evaporator probe.

Hey Joe,

the smell isn't "dirty sock syndrome" is it?

Terry

1000+ Posts

Dimmeys in Melbourne were selling Jeyes Fluid "Freshbin powder" says it "Kills Germs fast", it's an odour neutralising agent for Garbage bins, manufactured by Jeye's limited Brunell Way, Thetford, Norfolk England and it really blanks out odours (with its own distinctive smell not unlike coal slag) One caution is "Do not use in confined spaces" but it is cheap about $1.90 or thereabouts for a 680 gram container and I can tell you it doesn't take much of a sprinkle to work its magic, but you would need to clean out and air the car/container for a day or so after that minimal use.!!

The other stuff that is quite good for killing odours in cars, is the old tried and tested "Nil Odour" sold in supermarkets and chemists.

Dry roasting some coffee grains in a pan is also a well tested odour removing trick for hard to get rid of smells like blood products and spilt milk in cars and as far as I know has no toxic effect at all, just works.

Ken

For getting the musty smell out of the AC/Heater system Glen 20 has worked for me in the past. Run the fans and spray into the air intake ducts... leave the windows and doors open and avoid breathing the stuff.

As mentioned earlier, it does not clean, only kills the live sources of odour.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Thread Information