G gearbox question for the Brainstrust
  • Help

Default G gearbox question for the Brainstrust

I had my G now for 34 years and all the time I can remember it had a whine in the box in 4th and 5th. It is audible only under load, light and heavy. I am sure it is the gears and not bearings because in 3rd it is dead quiet.
    Does anybody know or experienced an additive or oil that could improve this whine? In other words, I'm looking for a mechanic in a bottle.
    Regards.
    Frans.

Advertisement

Hi Frans, back in S.A. the wife's Fiat Uno did a few thousand kms with virtually no oil in the gearbox, including a trip to Jo'burg and back to Durban (the reason why is for another day), resulting in a diff/g.box whine. I squeezed in two tubes of MO-DI (molibdinum disulphide additive) and the noise was substantially reduced, and the 'box was still good when we sold it 11 years later. I'm not sure if this product is still available, but I'm sure your contacts in S.A. will know. Hope this helps.

Henry

Fellow Frogger!

I can confirm moly is a great additive to help lubrication, BUT in a gearbox,
    you may find it makes the synchros much more slippery (they need some friction to work)
    so your gearchanges will become more difficult.
    If you decide to try it, just add a little at a time until you reach the sweet spot.
    There are others i think like Slick 50 etc, but I haven't used any for many years.

What was that used car saleman's old trick ??

Oh yes, I do remember now..... BANANA SKINS

Nulon make a good product that I have used for 35 years without any problems

Dvid

Thanks for the info. I will get some Nulon G70 this afternoon and try it. I have seen Nulon in hordes of shops although I've never heard of it before I moved to NZ. It sounds like quality coming from you guys, I'll use it.
    Henry, the only Molibdenum product I could find in NZ is a MolySlip product that was well known in ZA. It is now re-labelled here as Spanjaard although the Gearbox additive has to be ordered.
    Thanks,
    Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    What was that used car saleman's old trick ??

Oh yes, I do remember now..... BANANA SKINS
    Hi
    If you use these then I recommend you chop them up finely. I have seen them wrapped around the syncros and prevented the gear engagement, combined with nylon stockings I think
    Was a while back, quite a while actually A R8 too as I recall !

AAAAAAH the good old days
    jaahn

Thread Information