How original is required for ch plates
  • Help

Default How original is required for ch plates

Dave 18 mentioned his r18 with fuego engine was regarded as non original and mot suitable for ch plates.
    How original do you have to be for ch plates?

I have a second r12 i am thinking of getting back on the road and a third for parts that has a lot of nonstandard r12 parts. Eg r17 sway bars, cosmo mags, extractors non standard webber carby.

For ch plates how original do you have to be?

Advertisement

Ian

1000+ Posts

Depends on the state, in Qld not really an issue for club plates so long as it meets the normal permitted changes or has an engineers approved compliance plate.

In Vic the club approves the vehicle as being acceptable on the roads. Usually roadworthy. If the mods are significant and the club inspector isn't confident he can request either a RWC or an Engineers certificate before approving. The RCCV inspector is active on this forum and I'm sure he'll bob up on this thread tomorrow but ultimately it is his call. keeping in mind it is the club effectively saying the car is safe and suitable so the inspector has a role to play to make sure the right thing is done.
    Oh and you have to be a member of a club.

In your specific case it appears to be more than fine. Remembering there was a 12G that ran 17TS running gear so it could even be considered standard. You shouldn't have any probs with the mods you mentioned.
    Cheers...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IThompson View Post
    Dave 18 mentioned his r18 with fuego engine was regarded as non original and mot suitable for ch plates.
    How original do you have to be for ch plates?

I have a second r12 i am thinking of getting back on the road and a third for parts that has a lot of nonstandard r12 parts. Eg r17 sway bars, cosmo mags, extractors non standard webber carby.

For ch plates how original do you have to be?

Ian
    The car needs to be roadworthy and the problem with engine swaps is that the law only allows 10% capacity increase without an engineers certificate so r17 conversion is out unless its engineered.

Now enter the world of car clubs. Every make has engine upgrades, 403 into 203, Holden red motor into FJ's and even Datsun engines into Morris Minor and the clubs know what to do to make them legal.

R17 powered 12 is legal providing the r17 brakes (front and rear) and sway bars are used, your basically building a 4 door 17. Both models are built on the same plateform so everthing is interchangable. 17 has a bracket on the rear axle that runs forward to the body under the back seat and I'd like that to be fitted (needs welding) but its not neccesary unless your rallying it. As for rear brakes, use R12 SW rear drums because there the same as R17. Shannons insurance have all this listed as a Gordini replica so if you've done all this you'll be fine.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thanks David,
    I am not wanting to build a r17 powered R12, just a warm r12 for weekends.

I have a good R12 engine,
    R15 gearbox
    Side draft webber
    Extractors
    Vented front discs
    Wagon rear drums
    R17 swaybars
    Wagon rear springs
    Cosmic mags
    These are currently on a rusty shell.

I have a standard R12 GL with little body rust but a few dented panels and faded paint.

The unregistered r12 GL is too good to throw away so i thought about fixing it with some warm features. This i would like to put on club plates as
    I also have a registered R12 GL with good paint and interior.

Ian

How original is required for ch plates-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1396871057.188475.jpg
    How original is required for ch plates-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1396871126.678537.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by IThompson View Post
    Thanks David,
    I am not wanting to build a r17 powered R12, just a warm r12 for weekends.

I have a good R12 engine,
    R15 gearbox
    Side draft webber
    Extractors
    Vented front discs
    Wagon rear drums
    R17 swaybars
    Wagon rear springs
    Cosmic mags
    These are currently on a rusty shell.

I have a standard R12 GL with little body rust but a few dented panels and faded paint.

The unregistered r12 GL is too good to throw away so i thought about fixing it with some warm features. This i would like to put on club plates as
    I also have a registered R12 GL with good paint and interior.

Ian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1396871057.188475.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	54777
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1396871126.678537.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	54778

With those mods you don't have a problem, just make sure the shell isn't to bad. I'll still need to inspect it before the club passes it but just standard RWC stuff.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thanks david,

I look forward to the day i get to present it for checking.
    The body is in really good nick. A little rust on some removable panels but underneath clear. It was originally intended as a parts car but it is too good to scrap. The white one has lots of good parts and a very rusty shell. This will live on in the lefthand yellow one.

Ian

Thread Information