Red lights on a 10S dash and upgrade R10 wiper motor
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Red lights on a 10S dash and upgrade R10 wiper motor

Default Red lights on a 10S dash and upgrade R10 wiper motor

Hi
    I am in the process of pulling a R10 apart fixing a number of problem areas.

It's basically a 68 R10 with a 10S dash - there are 2 red lights on the right side. One works with the ignition, the other doesn't function. Seeing there is no temp gauge in this jigger was that intended to be an overheating warning light?

It also has a SEV Marchal wiper motor - it's a single speed unit based on the dash switch. But its slow. Is there any option to upgrade the wiper motor from an R12 or R16.

Also how easy is it to source a replacement ignition switch with key 2nd Hand or new from France..

Advertisement

Many thanks

The light which operates with the ignition is the oil pressure. I thought the other one might be alternator warning but equally makes sense it could be temp warning. The r8/r10 had a warning light incorporated into the rectangular dash (that is shared which the charge light from memory). The sensor for temp bolts to the head.

On my r10 dash, I bought some aluminum sheet and made a new plate that incorporated a VDO electric temp and oil pressure gauge.
    If you pm your email address I could shoot some pics up or if you are on FB search for Kevin Byron.

I have seen a German supplier frandoze have new ignition barrels with keys.

Wipers - I have a custom mod which uses an r12 motor and switch to make 2 speed wipers, but it is not a straight swap and involves a lot of jigging around. I'm wondering these days if it might not be easier looking at cable driven hotrod setups instead.

KB
    Last edited by renault8&10; 4th April 2014 at 08:17 PM.
    KB

Thanks KB
    I will research the ignition barrel thanks for the info. I might touch base with the RCCQ members just joining up now as I am new to this forum. Will try to work out how to PM you. How easy is it to fit an R12 wiper motor? the one that is in there is a direct drive straight onto the shaft but sh.... It's slow
    thanks mate

It's not easy to fit R12 wiper motors, a fair amount of fabrication. First you make a plate to bolt the 12 motor to, which uses the std 10 motor mounting holes. Then the hard part. You have to fabricate a new arm that bolts onto the spindle and connects the rods which drives the wipers. Then the wiring, it must use the bigger r12 wiper switch and there is an extra wire to run back to the switch to use as the park function. None of this is impossible, but it is a lot of frigging around.

To send a pm, click on my forum name above my pic on the LHS, then you should see options to send a pm. From there it is pretty self explanatory.
    KB

Just check that the wiper spindles are nice and free, and not seizing up from congealed grease or corrosion, thereby working very slowly.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Hi Rob,

I did the R12 wiper motor conversion on my 8G a few years ago, and highly recommend it. The R12 motor is so much stronger and better than the stock 8/10 one.

I made the mounting plate from a piece of aluminium, and from memory I used the actuating arm from my old wiper motor (filed to fit). So there was a fair bit of fiddling, but it wasn't that hard.

As for the wiring, you need to remove a screw inside the motor, to stop 'SW1' being grounded once per revolution. You also need to join the green and black wires, which go to 'LO' and 'SW1' respectively.

The result should be a self-parking motor. By the way I found the 'HI' speed much too fast.

I've attached a rough sketch of the wiring modifications, which includes the connections to the internal cam switch. I can't recall if the grey and green wires were both used, or only one.

I've since sold the car so I can't go and check anything. Hopefully it will still be a help.

Cheers,
    Pepster

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R12_wiper_conversion.jpg 
Views:	940 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	54807
    Last edited by Pepster; 9th April 2014 at 10:54 PM.
    1968 R8G 1300
    1965 R8G 1100
    1972 R12G
    1978 Virage
    1977 R12XL
    1971 R10
    1968 R10

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Caris View Post
    Hi
    One works with the ignition, the other doesn't function. Seeing there is no temp gauge in this jigger was that intended to be an overheating warning light?
    Many thanks
    All the R8s and R10s (from S Africa) had the oil pressure warning and temperature warning on the same light. You will be able to see in the engine compartment that the wire from the oil press sensor runs along the back of the engine and then hooks into the temp sensor that is bolted to the cylinder head. If that came on it was either an oil or temperature problem. The Generator light used to be seperate and green.
    Regards
    Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Hi Guys
    Thanks for all your feedback on my questions. On the dash lights and wiper motor...

Just getting back to the dash lights, I have purchased 4 Led dash warning lights to replace the 2 red, 1 blue 1 green. They all look a bit aged.
    Will these late low wattage LEDS be Ok ?
    Also found that one glass fuse was popped - replaced this and hey presto.
    The indicators work with green light flashing, the high beam kicks in the blue light. This car has a starter button obviously because the ignition switch is shagged and is only used to initially activate power to the ignition circuit.
    When I press the starter button the lower red light ( which is a new led version) comes on for 1 second and goes out very quickly. ..... With limited electrical experience, it's like the power to this light is only activated when the starter button connects to complete the circuit on start. I would have thought this red light should come on as soon as I turn the key to full ignition position before starting. It,s a tad confusing to the inexperienced...

Basically the wiring needs a complete review by an experienced auto electrician with Reno experience
    Frans, your comment thanks - I will have a look at your suggestion. But what is the second red light for then - this only had one wire attached to it..... I still need to trace it back to source, would the other terminal at the back of the light just be a neg to earth. You also mention that the ignition on s/be showing a green light?
    I can't remember what lights came on when I had my 69 r10 back in 73, this car is a 68 r10 with a 10s dash and the wires adopted onto their respective dash components.

I will need to pull the dash / instrument facia out to have a good look at the whole setup.
    Many thanks to all you wizards...
    Rob C

At least we can work on these cars and figure things out... oh for the good old days!
    1968 R8G 1300
    1965 R8G 1100
    1972 R12G
    1978 Virage
    1977 R12XL
    1971 R10
    1968 R10

I fitted either an R12,15 or 16 wiper motor to my R8 many moons ago. Can't remember it being very difficult, and I used an R17 wiper switch that has an arm on it and pushes into the standard switch position on the dash. Of course you see R17 wiper switches laying on the ground around your garage everywhere.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    I fitted either an R12,15 or 16 wiper motor to my R8 many moons ago. Can't remember it being very difficult, and I used an R17 wiper switch that has an arm on it and pushes into the standard switch position on the dash. Of course you see R17 wiper switches laying on the ground around your garage everywhere.
    What Alan said. Use the R12 motor and keep the R12 wiring. Then all you need is a power feed to the wiper circuit.
    The R17 wiper switches are pretty rare but the later R12 & R16 had similar switches with the levers instead of the rocker switches. They all have the same size switch body and from memory are the same internally. The R12/Virage had a long plastic lever but the R16 had a short chrome arm that would probably be better for fitting on the dash. You could always use the early R12 style rocker switch that would look the same as the R10 switch.
    I've got various R12 and R16 wiper switches (and R12 wiper motors) if you want one.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

COL

The early R12's had a dash mounted switch which you could use on the R8/R10.

The later R12 & Virage had its wiper switch on the left side of the steering column.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Hi Gents Thanks Alan, Ren and Col for your info. Two Reno owners in Brisbane - Excellent. I am in the process of joining the RCCQ which should introduce me to more experts. Currently in the process of sorting out some paint work and getting some parts chromed etc on the R10. Next job is the dash, wiring, dash lights Wiper motor. Ren will take you up on the offer of a 12 wiper motor and a switch.. Can I email you? I would also like a chat if you have time - Need to start connecting with some of the Qld people as well.
    Cheers Gents

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Caris View Post
    Hi Gents Thanks Alan, Ren and Col for your info. Two Reno owners in Brisbane - Excellent. I am in the process of joining the RCCQ which should introduce me to more experts. Currently in the process of sorting out some paint work and getting some parts chromed etc on the R10. Next job is the dash, wiring, dash lights Wiper motor. Ren will take you up on the offer of a 12 wiper motor and a switch.. Can I email you? I would also like a chat if you have time - Need to start connecting with some of the Qld people as well.
    Cheers Gents
    Hello Rob,

I've sent you a PM. We'll arrange something.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Thread Information