Fuego PS rack replacement
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fuego PS rack replacement

Fellow Frogger!

Default Fuego PS rack replacement

Calling all guys who have replaced their PS rack.

The scenario:

Advertisement

Knocking in steering when moving wheel about straight ahead.
    No movement in ball joints - noise comes from rotary valve/pinion area.
    Uni joints sound.
    Decided to remove rack and replace with spare.
    Problem is the rack is a s**t to remove.
    Can't seem to get it out of either side.
    When I converted the car from manual to power steer the gearbox was out and there was room to spare.

Now however.......

Suggestions?

David

Try again, it comes out without force if you get the wiggle just right.
    A second person helps.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Not much help I know but Jo is so right!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Try again, it comes out without force if you get the wiggle just right.
    A second person helps.

Jo
    Sorry haven't had that delightful task yet (touch wood) but Jo's description sort of fits all that I have learn't about the Fuego, everything will come out or go in once you master the French mechanics way, and that way is usually limited to one way, with all the rest impossible unto you wriggle and slant it just so.....then it will become easy, at least I hope so..!!

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Jo/Ken,

Alright will try again tonight. Ta.

David

Just remember it slides straight out so once you get the hydro lines caught on something, you have failed and should start again.
    Nothing more than gentle force and a little wiggle should be used on the extraction.
    You'll kick yourself when it comes out for not getting it out sooner.

From vague memory it likes to go one way....In the passengers side and out the drivers side, but that is not gospel because sometimes you can get it out the passengers side.

It is sort of like that 'round australia' electrical game when I was a kid where you had to pass a wire loop around the wire bent into the shape of coast line of australia without making the electrical circuit and failing.

People at craft markets pay decent money for those little mind stretching puzzles where you need to pass large objects through small hole or somehow perform a task that at first appears impossible. They dont own a fuego obviously.

It is totally normal after about 50 minutes of failing, to want to get the sheers out and cut a flange off the hole....Dont do it it wont help unless you cut about 40mm off and then you've written off your car.
    You need to pass it out in one go.

Some tips, disconnect the heater cable and hide the clip somewhere safe. It saves bending the cable and then in in 3 month the heater control post snaps off. The clip is un substitutable so don't lose it.
    Another thing, dont under any circumstances undo the bottom steering rack clamp bolts. This will move the rack height and then the car will probably bump steer and be a prick to drive. It can be fixed, but not easily.

Finally, getting the rack bolts 'nutted' is possibly one of the worst jobs on a fuego if you dont have a special tool.
    My special tool is still on the car. It is a 10 inch length of the thickest weed-eater line you can get, folded in half and pushed into the hole to keep the bolt proud.
    The line doesn't want to stay folded and the pressure it puts to go straight keeps it locked into the hole and pushes your bolt to where it can be crowned with its nut.
    Without this 'perfect tool' or some other, you'll have a lot of hastle, or have the unimaginable happen where you cross thread it.

If you dont own a compact air ratchet, and were ever considering getting one, now would a good time to buy it.
    The rack retaining bolts are fine thread and damn long, and with the 45 degrees of ratchet handle swing the job lasts much longer than your strength will.

I always 'engine surf' on this job because of the position required, so its a good idea to clear up the rocker cover and lay a towel on it.
    If you dont do that, have an assistant on hand when you are finished to help you stand upright again.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Icon4 Darn.....

Heck Jo I was going to offer to help David but after reading your description and knowing the frailty of my back at present, I don't think I would be of much help. David I hope you have a mate to standby and do the honours!!

Good luck...

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

....In the passengers side and out the drivers side, but that is not gospel because sometimes you can get it out the passengers side......It is totally normal after about 50 minutes of failing, to want to get the sheers out and cut a flange off the hole....
    Ok that was the way I was going but I gave up only after 45 minutes - must be getting old?!!?
    That was exactly what my son said just cut a hole........
    I said no way, the frogs are a pain but not that unintelligent.

....Finally, getting the rack bolts 'nutted' is possibly one of the worst jobs on a fuego if you dont have a special tool.
    My special tool is still on the car. It is a 10 inch length of the thickest weed-eater line you can get, folded in half and pushed into the hole to keep the bolt proud.
    The line doesn't want to stay folded and the pressure it puts to go straight keeps it locked into the hole and pushes your bolt to where it can be crowned with its nut.
    Without this 'perfect tool' or some other, you'll have a lot of hastle, or have the unimaginable happen where you cross thread it.
    Ok good suggestion - will organise 'special tool'.
    Does the high quality US of A stuff work better than 'no-work' chinese stuff?

....I always 'engine surf' on this job because of the position required, so its a good idea to clear up the rocker cover and lay a towel on it.
    Did it from underneath - may be why I gave up so easily.

Remembered the tip about leaving the rack clamps in place.

Will try again.

Thanks again Jo.

David

Fellow Frogger!

Ok,

Surfing is good.
    Sooo much better than from underneath.
    Rack out in under 10 minutes.
    Slips in/out from passengers side.

David

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Good news.

Congratulations David, and thanks Jo. I have filed a copy of this info 'just in case' I need to tackle the same job in the future...

Hope the actual problem with the rack is easy to fix, I have at least one PS rack out of a car (blown seals), if parts are needed. Been hoarding it until Jo came up with a perfect (durable) seal fix technique and practice that fix on it!!

Terrific when this information is shared.

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Ken,

Hope newer rack is halfway reasonable.
    Doing the MSCA come and try day at Phillip Island on sunday.
    Prefer not to do it in my other diesel powered cars!!!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Congratulations David, and thanks Jo. I have filed a copy of this info 'just in case' I need to tackle the same job in the future...

Hope the actual problem with the rack is easy to fix, I have at least one PS rack out of a car (blown seals), if parts are needed. Been hoarding it until Jo came up with a perfect (durable) seal fix technique and practice that fix on it!!

Terrific when this information is shared.

Ken
    Truth is Ken, my patience levels and budget were both exceeded by the damn PAS hassles, so in an attempt to 'future proof' the car. it now has a non PS rack.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Icon12 Need to get off my... I suppose...

Truth is Ken, my patience levels and budget were both exceeded by the damn PAS hassles, so in an attempt to 'future proof' the car. it now has a non PS rack.

Jo
    Darn I was relying on your dogged nature to find the perfect solution. I just disposed of my spare P/S Fuego that had been sitting in a neighbours yard "just in case" back up for my P/S Fuego, now if my P/Steering unit fails I will just have to work my way through to finding the solution at my own cost!!

I like the comfort and ease of the P/Steering option, but Di still prefers the non power steer option and I guess if "push comes to shove" and I don't achieve a permanent seal fix, then I have a few non power steering units that could be fitted too. Maybe I should get off my butt and try and see if I can solve the problem in that spare P/Steering rack!

I don't mind spending the money on it.

Where do you think your attempts failed, was it the quality of the replacement seals or the technique in gluing/sealing (or whatever) the seals into the rack?.

I was told years back it was possible and had been done by Australian Renault mechanics, but the official line was for the factory in France to do the job to the original specifications. I'd be happy to get any update to that. (seal #'s availability and seating sealing techniques).

Thanks for the efforts made by you! Probably time I got back to a working interest in these things after a few years coasting along due to injuries and other little inconveniences that put a stop to active work on the car!!

Ken

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Ken,

......then I have a few non power steering units that could be fitted too......

Ken
    Maybe, when you get around to taking your better half on a country jaunt to scenic Skip, you might like to put one of these in the boot for me, please.... Aaaah, any other bits required for changeover ?

Sleep-over can be arranged, within the dwelling even, if required.

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day Ken,

Maybe, when you get around to taking your better half on a country jaunt to scenic Skip, you might like to put one of these in the boot for me, please.... Aaaah, any other bits required for changeover ?
    Sleep-over can be arranged, within the dwelling even, if required.

cheers,
    Bob
    Bob I think we would both love a break, except for the fact that round-tuits are still in short supply after family and business commitments impinging on our time!! -

Your better half will be pleased that my better half is getting a new gas rangetop installed (and by a gas fitter too!!) She was down to one element on the old electric one and, I could have fitted a new element myself, but she has been so looking forward to a new replacement, either electric or gas for years.

The sticking point was getting one that would fit the existing bench top cuttout, and as you know the limited depth of the laminex bench top...(stingy husband would not replace the bench top as that might morph into a full Kitchen rebuild.!!)

When all the current matters we are dealing with are sorted, it looks like a trailer trip is in order with stuff for Skipton or at least a boot load of plants and whatever else can be fitted in!! Ladies first I reckon is where we fit in!! But I think I could squeeze in a few goodies for Bob!!

Ken

Aaaah, any other bits required for changeover ?
    Steering column is specific to rack type.

jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

thanks Jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Ken,

......Your better half will be pleased that my better half is getting a new gas rangetop installed (and by a gas fitter too!!) She was down to one element on the old electric one and, I could have fitted a new element myself, but she has been so looking forward to a new replacement, either electric or gas for years. .......

Ken
    and a rangehood 'n all...... ?

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

Icon11 Decisions,,, Decisions where does irt end...

G'day Ken,

and a rangehood 'n all...... ?

cheers,
    Bob
    Hah the in joke.. I guess I could put a plug on the existing one Bob, though it might not work after sitting there 20 years, good ornament though, Long story developing with the Gas top, might have to do some adjustment surgery on the whole thing, it will fit in the bench top cut out (when adjusted) but not enough clearance between wall and appliance. Now where is Addo when you need him, this could end up as a new bench, etc, etc. and no amount of Mrs KF's chocolate fudge would avoid that cost....!!

Might have to redesign the set up. The easy way would be to lay a sheet of suitable material directly on top of the existing bench, but I might not get away with that shortcut second idea was perhaps replace with an upright oven and gas top, and do away with the cut out section of existing bench, cost of another appliance plus where will she put her pots and pans once the cupboard underneath is removed, not a win, win, situation it seems.
    Could put the old electric range back, but then I hopped into providing clearance for the new one by taking material out of the bench top at the back of the cut..decisions, decisions and the Boss herself is not sure what she wants!!

Maybe Robmac's solution a new house..

Ken.

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default stovetop

G'day Ken,

one of these in the garage.....

Fuego PS rack replacement-stovetop1.jpgFuego PS rack replacement-stovetop2.jpg

black smooth top for wiping....

We had clearance problems with the new oven unit here. I just used the 4" available in the wall cavity and lined it with a sheet of flat gal...

cheers,
    Bob

ps.. Aaaah, sorry David, we seem to hijacked your thread...

1000+ Posts

Yes.
    Apologies David, how did things turn out with your Fuego steering rack replacement!!

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

At this point in time all is well.
    The rack doesn't have the slight knock on straight ahead the old one did.
    I don't remember from where it came from but had some work done to it.
    Clean/new rack boots, new tie rod ends.
    Will look into a rebuild with info/help from fellow froggers.

Phillip Island was a hoot.

All I heard all week end was:
    'jeez haven't seen one of these in ages'
    'went well in their day'

All I can say is that it didn't have enough torque around the track.
    The Porches and Clio sports left it way behind.

The only saving grace was the speed through the corners with it's new boots.
    Yokohama Tyres | Car Tyres from Yokohama: ADVAN Neova AD08 Tyre Prices, Sizes & Reviews

Time to do some engine development.

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    At this point in time all is well.
    The rack doesn't have the slight knock on straight ahead the old one did.
    I don't remember from where it came from but had some work done to it.
    Clean/new rack boots, new tie rod ends.
    Will look into a rebuild with info/help from fellow froggers.

Phillip Island was a hoot.

All I heard all week end was:
    'jeez haven't seen one of these in ages'
    'went well in their day'

All I can say is that it didn't have enough torque around the track.
    The Porches and Clio sports left it way behind.

The only saving grace was the speed through the corners with it's new boots.
    Yokohama Tyres | Car Tyres from Yokohama: ADVAN Neova AD08 Tyre Prices, Sizes & Reviews

Time to do some engine development.
    Easily fixed.
    As the old saying goes, there is no replacement for displacement.

Jo

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Now where is Addo when you need him, this could end up as a new bench, etc, etc. and no amount of Mrs KF's chocolate fudge would avoid that cost....!!:
    ...Maybe Robmac's solution a new house..
    I am tempted to ask Patrick for a leave pass around Friday week.

Thread Information